Offline thatsnice

• Don't you just love Reuleaux triangles?
    • View Profile
Just a general question.
« on: April 12, 2016, 09:55:16 PM »
This may seem to be a fairly simple question, and I'm just wondering because I haven't seen anything about it yet: What is the hypothetical depth of this Flat Earth?
"You never go full retard."

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
Re: Just a general question.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 11:17:29 PM »
This may seem to be a fairly simple question, and I'm just wondering because I haven't seen anything about it yet: What is the hypothetical depth of this Flat Earth?
The depth is unkown. The deepest hole drilled is about 7miles.
God is real.

geckothegeek

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 03:46:53 AM »
What is the hypothetical distance to the horizon on this flat earth ?

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 03:43:57 PM »

Have you ever seen a triangle?

geckothegeek

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 04:05:56 PM »

Yes, of course I have seen  a triangle ! But let me explain. I'm the one asking the question.LOL
Let me make it simple. Let's say I am about 6 feet or 2 meters tall. I am standing  on the  beach looking out to sea. How many miles, or kilometers can I see to the horizon on this flat earth ?
Or, let's say  I am the lookout in the crow's nest on a ship at sea. The crow's nest is about 100 feet or 30 meters above sea level. How many miles, or kilometers, can I see to the horizon on this flat earth ?
Just a general, simple question. How many miles or kilometers for the answer, please.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 04:17:45 PM by geckothegeek »

Offline thatsnice

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 05:28:19 PM »

Yes, of course I have seen  a triangle ! But let me explain. I'm the one asking the question.LOL
Let me make it simple. Let's say I am about 6 feet or 2 meters tall. I am standing  on the  beach looking out to sea. How many miles, or kilometers can I see to the horizon on this flat earth ?
Or, let's say  I am the lookout in the crow's nest on a ship at sea. The crow's nest is about 100 feet or 30 meters above sea level. How many miles, or kilometers, can I see to the horizon on this flat earth ?
Just a general, simple question. How many miles or kilometers for the answer, please.

Hey man, I think I get what you're saying. On this hypothetical FE, you would theoretically be able to see forever, considering it's flat. If I'm not mistaken, that's what you were trying to get at. However, that's simply not the case, in actuality, you cannot see for extremely prolonged distances due to the curvature of the earth. (which, mind all of the FE'ers on this site, is not modeled by the equation "8 inches * miles2") So I get you, bud.

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 05:33:14 PM »

How strong are you eyes? Are you disputing the fact that you could see further with a telescope than with the naked eye? You can see further the higher you go obviously, as per the Pythagorean theorem (link to google's right angle calculator)

But please don't stop derailing threads with things that have absolutely nothing to do with the OP.

The question of how deep you must drill to reach the center of the Earth is still a mystery. We can only postulate, based on the assumption of the Earth being a sphere, that it must be approximately 4000 miles to the center. There isn't really any established method to prove that however, so it remains hypothetical.

Offline thatsnice

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 05:43:08 PM »
We can only postulate, based on the assumption of the Earth being a sphere, that it must be approximately 4000 miles to the center. There isn't really any established method to prove that however, so it remains hypothetical.

But, given the scientific method, how can you postulate a hypothetical based on a theory you are trying to disprove WITH the hypothetical? That would be admission (albeit small) to some correctness in the Round Earth theory, demonstrating petitio principii.

geckothegeek

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 05:44:43 PM »

How strong are you eyes? Are you disputing the fact that you could see further with a telescope than with the naked eye? You can see further the higher you go obviously, as per the Pythagorean theorem (link to google's right angle calculator)

But please don't stop derailing threads with things that have absolutely nothing to do with the OP.

The question of how deep you must drill to reach the center of the Earth is still a mystery. We can only postulate, based on the assumption of the Earth being a sphere, that it must be approximately 4000 miles to the center. There isn't really any established method to prove that however, so it remains hypothetical.

It's very simple. The earth isn't a flat disc.

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 05:49:13 PM »
But, given the scientific method, how can you postulate a hypothetical based on a theory you are trying to disprove WITH the hypothetical?

Flat Earth specifically and intentionally rejects the scientific method.  Read all about it on the Wiki.
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

geckothegeek

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 05:54:26 PM »
But, given the scientific method, how can you postulate a hypothetical based on a theory you are trying to disprove WITH the hypothetical?

Flat Earth specifically and intentionally rejects the scientific method.  Read all about it on the Wiki.

Or read "Earth Not A Globe" or "The Sacred Texts" .

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 05:55:41 PM »

Hey man, I think I get what you're saying. On this hypothetical FE, you would theoretically be able to see forever, considering it's flat. If I'm not mistaken, that's what you were trying to get at. However, that's simply not the case, in actuality, you cannot see for extremely prolonged distances due to the curvature of the earth. (which, mind all of the FE'ers on this site, is not modeled by the equation "8 inches * miles2") So I get you, bud.

Absolutely no one ever said that you would be able to see forever on a flat earth. The shape of the Earth doesn't somehow endow you with superhuman vision, or the ability to exclude yourself from the effect perspective has on what you can perceive.

Also, some people think a flat earth means one big giant plane, devoid of mountains and hills. That's not the case. Aside from being in the open sea, most places have great variances in altitude. There are also objects obstructing your view, whether it's trees, buildings etc.

So even on a flat world you wouldn't be able to "see forever."

We can only postulate, based on the assumption of the Earth being a sphere, that it must be approximately 4000 miles to the center. There isn't really any established method to prove that however, so it remains hypothetical.

But, given the scientific method, how can you postulate a hypothetical based on a theory you are trying to disprove WITH the hypothetical? That would be admission (albeit small) to some correctness in the Round Earth theory, demonstrating petitio principii.

I really don't follow what you're trying to do here. You basically asked, "What is the depth of this Earth?" And my response was "No one really knows." I don't know how or why you're trying to twist that into some latin named philosophic principle I'm not even familiar with.

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 06:01:40 PM »
It's very simple. The earth isn't a flat disc.

The equivalent of saying "Nuh-uh!"

Gecko, you continue to astound me by how much of a geek you are not. You might be an outcast, socially awkward, or even a loser in general, but you by no means possess the level of intelligence required to be, what most people consider, a "geek."

Oh I see now, you are interpreting my statement that the distance to center of a flat earth would be 4000 miles... No not at all.

I'm saying that even modern science can't tell you, with any amount of certainty, how deep the Earth is. We can only assume it would be roughly the radius of the Earth. We can't drill deep enough to prove it.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 06:06:11 PM by TheTruthIsOnHere »

geckothegeek

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 07:25:57 PM »
I'm not claiming to be a genius with 13 degrees as some flat earthers. I'm just here for the fun !

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 08:01:26 PM »
Absolutely no one ever said that you would be able to see forever on a flat earth....Aside from being in the open sea, most places have great variances in altitude. There are also objects obstructing your view, whether it's trees, buildings etc.

Sure, that's true.  However, you should be able to see more than a few miles.  Take those little bright lights in the sky, the ones we call 'stars'.  Without getting into the discussion of what they might be we can at least say that they must be farther away than 3000 miles, since the moon passes in front of them, and the Wiki tells us that the moon is 3000 miles away.  We can see stars right down to the horizon.  This means that even down at the horizon, where the air is thick and refraction effects and bendy light are at their worst, one can still see things that are equal to or greater than 3000 miles away.  Los Angeles is only 2500 miles from Hawaii and puts out plenty of light.  However, even a few miles out to sea, it disappears from view.
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

Offline thatsnice

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2016, 08:43:23 PM »

Absolutely no one ever said that you would be able to see forever on a flat earth. The shape of the Earth doesn't somehow endow you with superhuman vision, or the ability to exclude yourself from the effect perspective has on what you can perceive.

Also, some people think a flat earth means one big giant plane, devoid of mountains and hills. That's not the case. Aside from being in the open sea, most places have great variances in altitude. There are also objects obstructing your view, whether it's trees, buildings etc.

That's what the term "theoretically" means, much like what the FET is. I understand that atmospheric imperfections such as haze will impede one's vision, but only over obscenely long distance. However, there are certain technologies that allow for longer distance surveillance. So, on a flat earth, one should theoretically, on the clearest of days and with the strongest of magnifiers, be able to see Bimini from the top of the tallest building on Miami Beach, right? Trigonometry allows for no buildings, waves, or other opaque items to impede in the LOS. Do you believe that to be true, and not have the 385 feet of curvature that I've calculated?

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2016, 12:18:41 PM »
The depth is unkown. The deepest hole drilled is about 7miles.
This TFES seems pretty ignorant on some things. In the "other place" (The Flat Earth Society) there is John Davis a "Flat Earth Scientist" and "Administrator, Secretary Of The Flat Earth Society" who seems to "know everything about everything" to do with "The Flat Earth" and he writes:
Using the infinite earth, we have good reason to believe it is at least 9000km. I believe I derived this back in 2009(? or earlier ?) using Gauss' Law.[nb]Gauss' Law[/nb]

Using a relativistic earth, 6,371 kilometers.[1]

Someone was kind enough to redo my math and apply it instead to the finite case of the Earth.  If it is finite it is 4241 km[2]

[1] Structure of the Earth

[2]  An exercise on Gauss’ law for gravitation: The Flat Earth model by A C Tort

So who are us mere amateurs to spectulate! Now please don't quiz me on that stuff, they aren't my words!

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2016, 02:39:09 PM »
Gauss' law of gravitation is a "law" based on the hypothesis that mass is proportional to gravitation; it is not.

We have at our disposal plenty of experiments which do prove that not only mass is not proportional to gravitation, but also that terrestrial gravity is a force of pressure.

Here are the correct FE universe images:

(last image not drawn to scale)

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2016, 03:06:42 PM »

I really don't follow what you're trying to do here. You basically asked, "What is the depth of this Earth?" And my response was "No one really knows." I don't know how or why you're trying to twist that into some latin named philosophic principle I'm not even familiar with.

You disappoint me here. What does super human vision have to do with anything? What you see is the result of light entering your eyes, nothing more, nothing less. The human eye doesn't limit the distance we're able to see at all, only the level of details.

If the earth was flat, given the proper conditions, you should be able to see the so called ice wall from places like Australia, the Ivory Coast, even from the entire North American west coast, looking across nothing but ocean. Add 100 meters of altitude to the observer, and you have ruled out waves obscuring your view.

Yet again, sandokhan plastered a thread with lengthy, century old nonsense. What he defines as a victory in any debate is really just people losing interest in re-reading 18th and 19th century bollocks that in the end answers nothing.
Ignored by Intikam since 2016.

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2016, 03:13:45 PM »
And I honestly didn't realise until now that sandokhan is attacking this from a religious perspective.

It really explains a lot.
Ignored by Intikam since 2016.