Black Mirror
« on: October 29, 2016, 01:52:30 AM »
Shit's fire yo
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

George

Re: Black Mirror
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 02:12:57 AM »
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/10/27/black-mirror-is-kinda-bullshit

I've never seen the show, but just from reading the synopses on Wikipedia and articles like these, I can tell I'd hate it.  I kind of already hate it, actually.  It comes across as the smug ramblings of a hipster edgelord with nothing insightful to say.  Game shows are bad, mmkay?  Smartphones are bad, mmkay?

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 02:18:13 AM »
Black Mirror is utterly fantastic. I haven't watched the new season yet, but the first two are amazing.

I've never seen the show, but just from reading the synopses on Wikipedia and articles like these, I can tell I'd hate it.

I literally laughed out loud. This is the most George thing I've read in a long time.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

George

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 02:39:42 AM »
Black Mirror is utterly fantastic. I haven't watched the new season yet, but the first two are amazing.

I've never seen the show, but just from reading the synopses on Wikipedia and articles like these, I can tell I'd hate it.

I literally laughed out loud. This is the most George thing I've read in a long time.

You're being condescended to by a cynical edgelord whose idea of satire is bludgeoning you over the head with the most obvious analogy he could possibly make repeatedly.  Please reconsider.

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 04:54:19 AM »
god damnit saddam you ruin everything

bamboozled again
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 11:28:58 AM »

You're being condescended to by a cynical edgelord whose idea of satire is bludgeoning you over the head with the most obvious analogy he could possibly make repeatedly.  Please reconsider.

Is that a Wikipedia summary?
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Rama Set

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 12:24:55 PM »
I just turned on Black Mirror on Netflix and it started at season 3. It's really good. Well written, really well acted and shot. It's good whether you regard the analogy or not. George has to stop Saddaming and watch it. 

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 05:27:16 PM »
I watched the first series and wasn't terribly impressed.

The first episode was decent, I fell asleep during the second, and the third one was alright.

I dunno, tech related creepy stories don't do it for me I guess.
I wish I hadn't bought into everyone's hype, otherwise my expectations might not have been so high and I would have liked it better.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 10:23:53 AM »

I've never seen the show, but just from reading the synopses on Wikipedia and articles like these, I can tell I'd hate it.  I kind of already hate it, actually.  It comes across as the smug ramblings of a hipster edgelord with nothing insightful to say.  Game shows are bad, mmkay?  Smartphones are bad, mmkay?

I don't think this reviewer really gets BM (and writing a whole article in all-caps is a conceit that gets old fast.) it's never really about how the technology itself is bad, but how people choose to use it. Take his review of 'The Entire History of You' where he argues that BM is saying that it's the tech's fault that the main character's life falls apart, whereas all the behaviours the episode portrays are just the same behaviours that people do in an insecure, unstable relationship, fixating on tiny little untruths, mistrusting your partner, becoming defensive... it's just that the tech in BM's world exacerbates those impulses and exaggerates them. Every single story (With the possible exception of 15 million credits and the framing device of White Christmas) would work perfectly well with a little tweaking to not include any modern or future-modern technology at all. The tech is just used as a magnifying glass to examine perfectly ordinary human reactions.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 06:49:22 AM »

You should probably just watch the show.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2016, 04:26:47 AM »
Okay, I only have two episodes left now. It's fantastic. "Technological horror" is almost always corny as hell, but not this time. The show most certainly is not simply an edgy critique of the technology itself.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2016, 09:13:56 PM »
The latest series is turning out to be intense. Nosedive was a fun, if dark episode and probably the lightest of all BM, Playtest was a superb horror story which had that 'Cabin in the Woods' thing of using your familiarity with horror tropes against you (And the "Would you kindly?..." line made me smile)

And then there's Shut up and Dance. Honestly one of the most heart-pounding hours of television I've watched for a long time. I was worried that the longer series length and its move to Netflix might have tempered BM, but if anything having a longer running time without adverts has helped it to reach new heights. Looking forwards to the final 3.

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2016, 09:32:01 PM »
Finishing up season 2.  Love the show so far.

Be Right Back was my favorite episode
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Rama Set

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2016, 05:33:50 PM »
I just finished watching National Anthem.  Jeez... It was pretty awesome (in the biblical way) to see a TV show make me aware of and evaluate my thoughts and feelings about something like bestiality.

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2016, 03:53:39 AM »
I watched the first season ages ago and enjoyed it. It's engaging and thought-provoking, but I kind of have to be in a certain mood to watch something with that level of darkness/intensity, so I never got around to watching season two. I recently watched "San Junipero" because I heard everyone talking about it and I absolutely loved it, although it seemed a bit out of character for Black Mirror.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2017, 06:02:35 AM »
I recently watched "San Junipero" because I heard everyone talking about it and I absolutely loved it, although it seemed a bit out of character for Black Mirror.

I think that was part of the point.  I was so sure the hammer was going to fall at any time that it was a shock (a really nice shock) when the episode ended on the positive note it did.  I wonder (assuming the show continues) if a lighter episode will be a regular feature with the longer seasons.

I also think it would be funny if those detectives from the last episode of the season were made into a regular thing.

Saddam, did you ever give this show a chance?
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2017, 12:17:11 PM »
I'd love to see those detectives get their own spinoff investigating Black Mirror-type crimes.

Offline Vongeo

• I don't get it either
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2017, 04:41:15 AM »
I relate too much to the antaginsts to watch it. The crazy dude with the memory thing, that whitebear woman, the pig etc
Maple syrup was a kind of candy, made from the blood of trees.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2017, 06:19:47 PM »

Who the hell reads synopses on Wikipedia to find out about a show? You're weird.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y