Offline MR_BU3

• View Profile
Theory of what our "Senses" tell us
« on: September 27, 2018, 10:01:30 PM »
Hello all,

After reading and researching into the Flat Earth Theory i noticed on a number of different sources that it mentions how are senses tell us that the earth is flat. My question is how exactly? Also, making a claim such as the earth being Flat is not very scientific when using our "Senses" as evidence.

Many thanks

Offline iamcpc

• View Profile
Re: Theory of what our "Senses" tell us
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 04:27:34 PM »
Hello all,

After reading and researching into the Flat Earth Theory i noticed on a number of different sources that it mentions how are senses tell us that the earth is flat. My question is how exactly? Also, making a claim such as the earth being Flat is not very scientific when using our "Senses" as evidence.

Many thanks

Here's a good starting point:

Using my senses I see that it's pretty flat here:

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 04:29:21 PM »
The senses are notoriously easy to fool, especially vision.
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

Curiosity File

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 08:40:19 PM »
The senses are notoriously easy to fool, especially vision.
Here's a good example of senses being fooled, visual senses.

Curiosity File

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 09:04:45 PM »
Hello all,

Many thanks

Here's a good starting point:

Using my senses I see that it's pretty flat here:

Senses are easily fooled and are extremely limited.

Here's on thing that is real world hard physical proof the Earth spins at calculable seeds and has curvature.
The Coriolis effect on long range ballistics.

https://loadoutroom.com/thearmsguide/external-ballistics-the-coriolis-effect-6-theory-section/
Excerpt
" At 1,000 yards the Coriolis deflection is small but not necessarily trivial. Una computed that at the latitude of Sacramento, a bullet traveling 1,000 yards would be deflected about three inches to the right. In addition, you’d have to aim higher or lower depending on the degree to which you were facing east or west. If you were firing due east, you’d have to aim six inches lower, since the earth rotates from west to east and your target would have dropped away from you slightly by the time the bullet arrived. If you were firing due west, you’d have to aim six inches higher."
Source.
https://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2944/how-does-the-earths-rotation-affect-the-path-of-a-bullet/

http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/Articles/ABDOC108_GyroscopicAndCoriolis.pdf

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/01/jeremy-s/coriolis-effect-for-beginners-extreme-long-range-shooting-for-beginners/

Mysfit

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 09:53:19 PM »
The flat earth society is correct in surmising that all observations require the senses. Whether looking at tools, the sunset or a ship sinking on the sea, they are correct in that no observation can be made without the senses.
The problem comes when this is pushed too far.
If I become blind, the world and everything has become black. It would be a correct observation to say it must be black for everyone and this would be irrefutable.
Let's dial it back. If I have poor eyesight, then the world is actually a blurry mess. This is irrefutable again.
I know of no sense that is perfect - Humans can't smell bombs at an airport so bees are trained to do it. Most humans can't hear a dog whistle, it still makes noise to a dog.