Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Interstellar
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2015, 08:05:51 PM »
I think for an observer outside the Event Horizon looking in, time stands still.  For the observer looking out from beyond the event horizon would see the entire history of the universe play out, but inside they would continue their inexorable journey towards spaghettification.

http://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=1842

They would literally "see" infinity, which for the most part is impossible. Their death would be an asymptote on the timeline of the universe. Always getting closer but never really getting there.

Ghost of V

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2015, 08:15:21 PM »
I think for an observer outside the Event Horizon looking in, time stands still.  For the observer looking out from beyond the event horizon would see the entire history of the universe play out, but inside they would continue their inexorable journey towards spaghettification.

They would literally "see" infinity, which for the most part is impossible. Their death would be an asymptote on the timeline of the universe. Always getting closer but never really getting there.

To an outside observer, yes.

The person who fell into the black hole would die, but the outside observer would not be able to tell. 'Time' doesn't stop for the person being sucked into the black hole.

The bigger the black hole, the faster they die in their frame of reference.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2015, 08:26:18 PM »
The Sun's gravity is not strong enough to break pretty much every law of physics.

Black holes don't break physics you idiot.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2015, 08:33:52 PM »
The Sun's gravity is not strong enough to break pretty much every law of physics.

That's an ongoing debate. In fact, a semantic debate still exists as to whether black holes break conservation of mass because the mass cannot be recovered. The semantics is whether or not "cannot be recovered" is the same as "destroyed." There are many others which I could point out, but I'm not going to bother, because you're Andrew and you either wouldn't understand, or would, but then just respond "ur dum!!!" anyway.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2015, 08:39:17 PM »
because you're Andrew and you either wouldn't understand, or would, but then just respond "ur dum!!!" anyway.

He reminds me of someone.

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2015, 08:42:29 PM »
The donut walnut.
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2015, 10:28:58 PM »
I don't see how that is wrong. It would be similar to standing on the sun, if you could do it without being vaporized. The gravity would crush you.

The Sun's gravity is not strong enough to break pretty much every law of physics. Beyond the event horizon of a black hole time stands still. It would take a time limit of infinity to actually kill you, meaning it never does.

There's nothing physics breaking about what extreme gravity does to a being who evolved on a planet with Earth's gravity..

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2015, 10:50:18 PM »

No need for name calling in these parts. Warned.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2015, 11:02:18 PM »
I don't see how that is wrong. It would be similar to standing on the sun, if you could do it without being vaporized. The gravity would crush you.

The Sun's gravity is not strong enough to break pretty much every law of physics. Beyond the event horizon of a black hole time stands still. It would take a time limit of infinity to actually kill you, meaning it never does.

There's nothing physics breaking about what extreme gravity does to a being who evolved on a planet with Earth's gravity..

Okay.

Rama Set

« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2015, 11:22:53 PM »

To an outside observer, yes.

The person who fell into the black hole would die, but the outside observer would not be able to tell. 'Time' doesn't stop for the person being sucked into the black hole.

The bigger the black hole, the faster they die in their frame of reference.

They would still witness an unfathomably rapid progression of time for the short while existence continued for them.

Ghost of V

« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2015, 11:41:36 PM »
That is truly fascinating.

That is how I want to go.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2015, 02:38:42 AM »

That's an ongoing debate.

No it isn't. If it exists, it adheres to some physical law, known or unknown.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2015, 02:39:46 AM »
No it isn't. If it exists, it adheres to some physical law, known or unknown.

I wasn't referring to some mystical unknown physical laws. I was referring directly to the laws that humans have attempted to identify. The way you interpret my posts is... odd.