Offline rooster

• View Profile
ALS Ice Bucket Challenge
« on: August 19, 2014, 01:31:47 AM »
I'm sure most of you have seen the trend where you either donate or dump a bucket of ice water on yourself and then challenge two others to do the same for the sake of raising money and awareness for Lou Gehrig's Disease. I haven't payed too much attention to it really. But then someone on my Facebook went on a big rant about how stupid and wasteful it is and how embarrassed she is of her country and generation. She urged these stupid people to donate water or money to people who need clean water.

Should we be embarrased? ALS Association has raised about 12 million dollars which is a huge increase from normal donations.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 04:59:51 PM by rooster »

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
Re: ALS Ice Bucket Challenge
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 03:27:27 AM »
I think it's great. Even if you opt out of the donation and dump water on your head, you have to nominate others, effectively raising awareness. The more people know about it, the more likely they are to donate. It's effective because it gives the population an opportunity to be the center of attention.
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 10:11:13 AM »
But kids in Africa need that water! How dare we waste something so precious.

Offline Lemon

• Lime
    • View Profile
    • Disco
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 10:22:03 AM »
The world is like a bajillion % water, dude. We just need to get our shit together and improve our ability to make clean drinking water out of sea water.
NOTHING TO SEE HERE. IGNORE RAMA SET.

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 10:24:34 AM »
The world is like a bajillion % water, dude. We just need to get our shit together and improve our ability to make clean drinking water out of sea water.

That's not how percentages work, you silly lemon.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 11:48:11 AM »
The if bucket trend is pretty well spread.  I've seen bill gates do it.

If anything it makes amusing Facebook videos.

Also if I'm not mistaken, if the people you challenge do the ice bucket, you donate $10 per ice bucket.  So $20 if both challengers do it.

As for wasting water: pfft.  Its not like its a lot nor is it something we were gonna ship over to Africa anyway.  And its water, the most abundant resource on the planet.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Rama Set

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 12:04:58 PM »
Last I heard clean water is recyclable.

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 01:25:42 PM »
I feel your pain roosroos. A guy on my wall just made a similar post filled with pretension and condescension.
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 01:52:26 PM »
It's called slactivism.
#IceBucketChallenge: Why You're Not Really Helping
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 02:05:41 PM »
Ugh, I hate all those posts and opinion pieces condemning little bits of online political involvement as 'slactivism'

Sure, sharing a video about something awful happeining, or signing an e-petition, or doing something like this ice bucket challenge might not change the world and there's almsot certainly more which can be done but at least it's something.

There are too many things which need action in the world for us to be dedicating ourselves to all of them, but when we see a problem, most people's natural reaction is to want to do something.

And raising a little bit of money or awareness is better than sitting on a proverbial high horse lecturing people that they're not doing enough.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 02:36:21 PM »
It's raised about 15 million dollars compared to what like 1 million last year? So it seems to be more than slactivism.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 02:53:02 PM »
But how long will it last before it burns itself out?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 02:56:13 PM »
But how long will it last before it burns itself out?
Even when it does burn itself out that money will still have been donated. Or are you saying it's only not slacktivism when you donate your time and money forever?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 02:58:12 PM by rooster »

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 02:57:00 PM »
It's directly tied to doing something concrete - namely, donating to this association, which saves it from being purely slacktivism.  If it were just "lol I'm pouring water on my head to raise awareness/end ALS" like that stupid cartoon characters thing on Facebook, then it would be dumb and pointless.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 02:59:54 PM »
This is slacktivism: Slacktivist activities include signing Internet petitions,[2] joining a community organization without contributing to the organization's efforts, copying and pasting of social network statuses or messages or altering one's personal data or avatar on social network services.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 04:06:08 PM »
This is slacktivism: Slacktivist activities include signing Internet petitions,[2] joining a community organization without contributing to the organization's efforts, copying and pasting of social network statuses or messages or altering one's personal data or avatar on social network services.

And what? Sometimes just showing support can help a cause.It might be only marginally better than doing nothing at all but it is better.

Offline Lemon

• Lime
    • View Profile
    • Disco
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2014, 04:32:20 PM »

Em... it's just activism.
NOTHING TO SEE HERE. IGNORE RAMA SET.

Thork

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2014, 04:34:53 PM »
The Africans need to sort themselves out. We have clean water because we have lots of water and we clean it.

We don't have lots of oil. Rather than sitting around begging the Arabs to do fundraisers and pour buckets of oil on themselves to donate us some oil, we either pay for it or attack the people who have it so we can have some. All this sitting around, looking dirty, complaining about disease, crying, saying how unfair life is ... if you want water, get off your little black behinds and go get some. >:(

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2014, 04:39:01 PM »
The Africans need to sort themselves out. We have clean water because we have lots of water and we clean it.

We don't have lots of oil. Rather than sitting around begging the Arabs to do fundraisers and pour buckets of oil on themselves to donate us some oil, we either pay for it or attack the people who have it so we can have some. All this sitting around, looking dirty, complaining about disease, crying, saying how unfair life is ... if you want water, get off your little black behinds and go get some. >:(

The Wisdom.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2014, 04:53:48 PM »
A lot of the people I know that have done it haven't even mentioned it is for ALS.