Offline alex

• Always Curious
    • View Profile
Kansas and the pancake
« on: May 20, 2015, 02:13:58 PM »
On the Wiki I found a link to an article stating that "Kansas is Flatter than a Pancake" link. However, this article (which I believe is not meant to be very serious anyway) does not describe what kind of DEM data is used to create the profile map of Kansas. It is even possible it uses data from radar satellites orbiting earth (link). In that case, the roundness of the earth is a precondition for the article.

If not, the profile data could be just measurements in the direction of gravity, and thus would be probably identical in the flat earth as well as the round earth scenario. 

In any case, the article does not proof anything, neither in favor nor against, the flat earth theory, and should be removed from the Wiki.

However, I would like to open a serious discussion on this topic. Suggestions and thoughts are welcome!

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Re: Kansas and the pancake
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 03:41:51 PM »
Pancakes aren't round.

Offline alex

• Always Curious
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 03:54:41 PM »
Your comment to my suggestion is completely useless. I assume that you do not understand the research article at all. Please read it again more carefully!

Besides, the pancake used in the research article IS round, which is obvious from the photograph!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 03:56:44 PM by alex »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 11:09:02 PM »
Your comment to my suggestion is completely useless. I assume that you do not understand the research article at all. Please read it again more carefully!

I understood. The article says that Kansas is flatter than a pancake. Pancakes are not spherical, therefore Kansas is not spherical.

Offline alex

• Always Curious
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 04:41:53 AM »
You obviously do not understand anything. You do not understand basic logic. You seem to think like a little child.

Tom

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 10:48:05 PM »
The writer of the article said the following:

"The way it was published was without earth's curvature. However, I later tried the same approach including the curvature, and even with that amount the ratio came out flatter than the pancake (which had a moderate bulge towards the center as most pancakes do).

The earth is a convex in Kansas, just not as much as the pancake.

That was the major point/joke of the article. It isn't that Kansas is some super-flat thing, but rather that pancakes aren't as flat as people think."

Alex is partly right, but the article has nothing to do with the curvature and is not proof of a flat earth.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 10:23:09 PM by Tom »

Offline dave

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 05:24:57 AM »
Kansas is flatter than a pancake because its easier to raise cattle.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 05:37:48 AM »
Kansas is flatter than a pancake because its easier to raise cattle.

Please refrain from low-content posting in the upper fora. Warned.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 04:33:59 PM »
Yup, looks flat to me.
Color Elevation Map of Kansas

Produced by the State of Kansas Data Access and Support Center at the Kansas Geological Survey.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.