Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
Re: The Flat Earth Society official IRC chat
« Reply #260 on: December 06, 2018, 01:03:47 PM »
If this problem is to be solved both sides are going to have to make a commitment to trying something different. irc isn’t so special that this shouldn’t be solved.

Is there a problem, though? Despite what he claims, Saddam doesn't get banned for shitposting, he gets banned for either being disruptive to an ongoing conversation or (in the most recent case) hit-and-run shitposting, where he doesn't even care to engage any responses from the people he's bothering.

Anyone else doing this would also get banned. Saddam doesn't get banned when he shitposts in the same way everyone else does. The only thing setting Saddam apart from everyone else is that, when his behaviour is called out, he doubles down rather than easing off.

I'm happy to work on solving a problem if there is one, but I don't see that there is.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 01:06:34 PM by Parsifal »
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Rama Set

« Reply #261 on: December 06, 2018, 01:31:24 PM »
I dunno, I see a bunch of people who are calling this perception in to question. If you are claiming that you treat everyone the same then you probably are not being 100% honest because humans suck at being fair.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 06, 2018, 02:04:56 PM »
I dunno, I see a bunch of people who are calling this perception in to question. If you are claiming that you treat everyone the same then you probably are not being 100% honest because humans suck at being fair.

I'm not really interested in having a philosophical discussion on the biases of the human psyche. All I'm saying is that I don't think Saddam has been unfairly banned recently. (There was a time a few years ago when a few of us were somewhat trigger-happy where Saddam was concerned, I admit, but that's long past.)

The fact that we're even having this conversation supports my point. When most people get banned, they stop doing the thing they were banned for and we all move on. When Saddam gets banned, he plays the victim and somehow gets enough people on his side to create a whole drama over it.

Rama Set

« Reply #263 on: December 06, 2018, 03:02:33 PM »
I’m not proposing a philosophical discussion, I am asking if you have done a gut-check based on the feedback from others? Saddam
is saying there is an unclear standard of behavior based on what others do not get banned for. Perhaps what is needed is a clear conversation where the prohibited behaviors are explicitly spelled out so he understands what standard he is allowed?

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 06, 2018, 04:03:16 PM »
I’m not proposing a philosophical discussion, I am asking if you have done a gut-check based on the feedback from others? Saddam
is saying there is an unclear standard of behavior based on what others do not get banned for. Perhaps what is needed is a clear conversation where the prohibited behaviors are explicitly spelled out so he understands what standard he is allowed?

His response to being told he isn't allowed to do something is always "lol" or something along those lines. His response when he then gets banned for it is to cry victim. We've been over this dozens of times by now because every time someone new comes along they start proposing exactly the same "solutions" to what looks to them like a straightforward problem.

The only problem here is that Saddam refuses to adjust his behaviour until it boils to a head like this and he deletes his account. He can easily rectify that if he wants to.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 06, 2018, 05:08:20 PM »
Saddam
is saying there is an unclear standard of behavior based on what others do not get banned for.
Saddam doesn't even know who's banning him. It's almost always me (and no, Parsifal doesn't in any way encourage me to do it), but whenever it happens, his go-to response is something along the lines of calling Parsifal autistic. I have to call his judgement into question based on that.

People like to think their own farts don't stink. I'm have no doubt I'm guilty of this too, but if we're going to have this discussion, we need some concrete examples. I've tried as hard as I can to try and find fault in my IRC bans, but I'm not seeing it. That doesn't mean I'm not wrong, but we've had nothing but assertions and allegations here so far.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Rama Set

« Reply #266 on: December 06, 2018, 05:20:59 PM »
Ok fair enough.  I just wanted to encourage some good will towards a solution, but I understand where you guys are coming from.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 06, 2018, 05:26:07 PM »
My problem begins and ends with Parsifal.
It doesn't. Most of the time, it's me who bans you. Indeed, the last two times you've lost your shit at Parsifal, it was because I banned you from IRC. Let us not forget the Great Fucking Off.

That was years ago, and all the result of a situation instigated by Parsifal. You may not sympathize with me, but you don't care about me enough to actively keep some weird vendetta going.

It takes two people to have a discussion.

And there always are at least two people involved. If you're reading other people's posts as belonging to me, I can see how you'd find me disruptive.

Indeed, that is neither here nor there. As I said, the problem is your complete disregard for the discussions already taking place when you demand that the channel be hijacked to discuss the latest capeshit movie. If people ignore you and try to carry on with their discussion, you just keep spamming your shit until you get banned. Try not doing that and see if your situation improves.

The way IRC works is that you have to "interrupt" other discussions when you talk. It's one channel. It's not like anybody uses private messages or opens up other channels whenever they begin a new subject. I don't interrupt people more than anyone else does. Even the fact that you're talking about capeshit movies shows how out-of-date all this is. I haven't taken to IRC to talk about capeshit in months.

Is there a problem, though? Despite what he claims, Saddam doesn't get banned for shitposting, he gets banned for either being disruptive to an ongoing conversation or (in the most recent case) hit-and-run shitposting, where he doesn't even care to engage any responses from the people he's bothering.

Hit-and-run shitposting? Now flapping is enough to get me banned? What a joke.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

« Reply #268 on: December 06, 2018, 05:38:50 PM »
ITT: Cyber-bullying and rationalizations.
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 06, 2018, 05:49:15 PM »
Saddam doesn't even know who's banning him. It's almost always me

This actually isn't my impression, but it's been so long since he was last banned (except for two very recent ones) that I just don't know who bans him most often. This is why I'm baffled by the response here -- this is a very infrequent occurrence, and at least as far as I'm concerned, Saddam has improved a lot in the past few years. If he would just take the occasional ban as a nudge in the right direction rather than restarting this victim narrative, everything would be fine.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: December 06, 2018, 05:49:55 PM »
It's very easy to tell the difference, you know.

If he would just take the occasional ban as a nudge in the right direction rather than restarting this victim narrative, everything would be fine.
Agreed.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 06, 2018, 05:53:10 PM »
It's very easy to tell the difference, you know.

To be fair, I think webchat sometimes masquerades timeouts as quits (another reason I want to get rid of our current awful mess of a webchat). If that is the case here, then I'm sorry, Saddam. It genuinely looked like you just joined to post a shitty meme and then quit before anyone could respond (which you used to do quite often, in my defence).

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 06, 2018, 05:55:19 PM »
To be fair, I think webchat sometimes masquerades timeouts as quits
But you provided timestamps. 13 seconds is not a timeout.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 06, 2018, 05:58:36 PM »
To be fair, I think webchat sometimes masquerades timeouts as quits
But you provided timestamps. 13 seconds is not a timeout.

If Saddam's phone happened to switch networks at the moment he sent that message, an ICMP host unreachable message may have been returned to the web server when it next attempted contact, which could result in the connection being closed immediately. Given how awful webchat is at reporting what the real disconnection reason was, I'm willing to give Saddam the benefit of the doubt here.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 06, 2018, 06:11:54 PM »
Fair enough. I'll remain sceptical but I do agree it's at least possible.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 06, 2018, 07:22:46 PM »
The network at work repeatedly picks up and drops off, sometimes for only seconds at a time. I shouldn't have even bothered trying to join IRC there, but I didn't think that even seemingly-intentional hit-and-run shitposting would be seen as so disruptive. In any case, I didn't even mind the ban so much as I did the fact that the ban was just going on and on with no sign of ending. It wasn't my intention to restart old drama when I first posted about this; it was just to get the ban lifted.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 16, 2019, 07:50:57 AM »
Can we start using discord instead so it’s easier to chat on mobile?

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 16, 2019, 10:26:08 AM »

no

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 18, 2019, 12:51:05 PM »
How dare you bring your new fangled technology into this? IRC is a huge improvement on Morse and you should be grateful for its implementation.  >o<
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline Cain

• This is the line of division.
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 18, 2019, 09:02:13 PM »
Parsifal is too elitist for that. Besides, my server already has a Parsifal. Fuck off with that replacement bullshit.
You just made my list, buddy.  >:(
this world does not have room for another mind as intelligent as yours.