Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
Re: Snupes' Must-Listen-To List (Recommend me albums!)
« Reply #200 on: September 22, 2014, 08:16:43 PM »
Didn't think I'd ever write this much about Queen.

Queen - A Night at the Opera: This is the first time I’ve actually heard a Queen album. Gotta say, within the first few songs it was pretty good but not really amazing. It was pretty much what I expected from 70s hard/prog rock. Then “’39” played and holy *hell*. That song was amazing. I could write an entire review on it alone. As someone considering going to school for physics because of how much I love it, a whole song about space travel and faster-than-light travel and its implications written beautifully by someone who is clearly a talented writer…wow. Turns out it was written and sung by Brian May. So much newfound respect for him.

That was followed by “Sweet Lady”, which…after an amazingly-written tale about space travel…lines like “you call me ‘sweet’ like I’m some kind of cheese waiting on the shelf” do not quite cut it anymore.

Then “Seaside Rendezvous” happens and it’s so, so marvelous and fabulous and just wonderful. I love tunes and melodies like this. Freddie Mercury wrote it, so I was glad to find that he can do much more than the standard heavy prog-rock the group is known for.

Then the Brian May-written “The Prophet’s Song” happened, and gafjdk. I knew May was apparently a talented guitarist, but I didn’t have so much respect for him until now. That song is amazing and epic and wondrous.

Once again to Freddie’s credit, “Love of My Life” is insanely gorgeous. It’s so simple, but so so beautiful. But then Brian May happens (and sings) again on “Good Company” and it’s fantastic yet again. Then “Bohemian Rhapsody”, which is wonderful but I’ve heard it so much on the radio and TV and what have you that I’m pretty tired of it as a song, or at least numbed to it.

So yeah. Call this blasphemy, but I actually sort of wish Queen had been fronted by Brian May instead. He’s an amazingly gifted writer and songsmith. As a writer myself, it’s so exciting when I hear songs like his that are written so damn masterfully. All in all, I was way more into this than I ever expected, or at least half of it.

EDIT: Okay, listening to "'39" again and legitimately crying. I love this song.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 08:46:27 PM by Snupes »
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 23, 2014, 10:18:23 PM »
Public Image Ltd. - First Issue: So damn. This was not at all what I expected from this album, but I loved nearly every second of it. I can absolutely see why people call Public Image Ltd. arguably the first post-rock band, because damn. I’m not sure that label completely fits them, but I can see how it could be considered part of the origin of the genre because some of the songs certainly exemplify its traits (particularly the wonderful 9-minute long opener, “Theme”). That track is one of my favourites. Another is “Public Image”, which is exactly what I wanted from the Sex Pistols. They disappointed me because they had the punk spirit but not much musical talent. This track, however, is an amazing song with burning punk anger behind it and it’s fantastic. That song is exactly what I want from punk music. That’s why I love the genre. The final track, “Fodderstompf”, is absolutely bizarre and I love it for that. I don’t really know how to explain it as a song. Go listen to it. It’s wonderfully weird. The tracks in-between those three are all good as well, but those three to me form sort of a perfect musical triptych and are really what I’ve taken away from it. It is great. Totally recommend to anyone who likes punk or experimentation.

Ghost of V

« Reply #202 on: September 23, 2014, 10:52:31 PM »
Public Image Ltd. - First Issue: So damn. This was not at all what I expected from this album, but I loved nearly every second of it. I can absolutely see why people call Public Image Ltd. arguably the first post-rock band, because damn. I’m not sure that label completely fits them, but I can see how it could be considered part of the origin of the genre because some of the songs certainly exemplify its traits (particularly the wonderful 9-minute long opener, “Theme”). That track is one of my favourites. Another is “Public Image”, which is exactly what I wanted from the Sex Pistols. They disappointed me because they had the punk spirit but not much musical talent. This track, however, is an amazing song with burning punk anger behind it and it’s fantastic. That song is exactly what I want from punk music. That’s why I love the genre. The final track, “Fodderstompf”, is absolutely bizarre and I love it for that. I don’t really know how to explain it as a song. Go listen to it. It’s wonderfully weird. The tracks in-between those three are all good as well, but those three to me form sort of a perfect musical triptych and are really what I’ve taken away from it. It is great. Totally recommend to anyone who likes punk or experimentation.

Post-punk.

If you like that you'll like Metal Box & The Flowers of Romance too. I have both of them on vinyl. Yeah. I'm cool.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 11:57:25 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 24, 2014, 06:32:36 PM »
I plan to listen to them.

Wintersun - Wintersun: I thought this album was alright. Far too much ugh growling for my taste, but the music was good most of the time and when there was singing instead I liked it. I’m too tired to say a lot about it, but yeah, it was a purdy gud ablum. 7/10 might recommend. Favourites were “Starchild” and “Beautiful Death”.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 28, 2014, 11:20:04 PM »
The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced: So. This was good. There were great songs (“May This Be Love”, “I Don’t Live Today”), there were good songs (“Love or Confusion”, “The Wind Cries Mary”), and there were songs I thought were terrible (“Manic Depression”, “Hey Joe”) or just meh (“Foxy Lady”, “Fire”). Then there’s “Are You Experienced?”, the closing track, and easily the most wonderful track. It’s seemingly about doing LSD (which, given Hendrix, is probably right) and it shows.  It’s got weird backward guitar(?), feedback and strange sounds over vague lyrics about whether or not the listener has done drugs, but the music is absolutely wonderful.

To skip around a bit now, “May This Be Love” had wonderful, relaxing drums and gentle guitar licks that just made me feel really relaxed, and “I Don’t Live Today” was pretty good until halfway through hit and it became great psychedelic rock. “The Wind Cries Mary” I liked pretty much mainly for the lyrics. “Hey Joe” was just incredibly boring by Hendrix standards, and “Foxy Lady” is just notable because his little “a-heh”s after every other line started driving me insane. But yeah, the two greats and “Are You Experienced?” are my favourites, especially the latter, and this was a pretty good album. I wish all of it was willing to go a little more off the wall like the closer, because it’s a shame that someone so influenced by the “freedom” experienced from LSD and that kind of drug was so adherent to standard musical structure, particularly the verse-chorus-verse-chorus-guitar solo-chorus of the era and genre.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 29, 2014, 07:47:50 PM »
Gorillaz - Demon Days: No Gorillaz fan I know had really ever been able to give me a straight answer on whether it’s mostly rap like “Feel Good Inc.” or mostly Damon Albarn singing, tending to lead toward the former, so I sort of avoided them because I can’t stand the rap portions of that song. Well, figured I’d finally get around to it, and, what do you know, only a few songs have rapping on them. I wasn’t blown away by the album, I do feel like a lot of musical creativity and potential was sort of squandered, but it’s a really good, solid album nonetheless. “O Green World” was the first sign of “oh wow” for me, and “Dirty Harry” was the first potential “oh wow” that was ruined by average rap in it. The only song I thought had solid rapping was “All Alone”, which actually benefited from it while still being interesting musically.

Those out of the way, I also liked the odd jazziness of “Every Planet We Reach Is Dead”, the prettiness of “El Mañana”, the funness of “Dare” and the nice, light, pleasant darkness of “Don’t Get Lost in Heaven”. All that being said, I absolutely freaking love “White Light”. It is, hands-down, my favourite track. It’s weird, interesting and absolutely wonderful. It is just…I don’t know, it’s just the closest to amazing they get for me. It’s seriously, well, amazing.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 07:49:48 PM by Snupes »

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 30, 2014, 09:59:24 PM »
DJ Shadow - Endtroducing.....: Though not quite as mind-blowing as its reviews made it out to be, this is still a really frickin’ great album. It’s arguably instrumental hip hop, trip hop or plunderphonics (music made completely from samples of other sources, often twisted and remixed to an unrecognizable extent) depending on which song you’re listening to and who you ask, but DJ Shadow gives a master class in producing here. Even when I wasn’t totally into a song, I couldn’t help but sit there and admire how finely crafted every single song was. This had a hell of a lot of work put into it and it shows. It’s a work of art to be beheld, that’s for sure. It’s hard to address any song on its own because it’s really all something that should be enjoyed from start to finish, but my favourites were “Stem/Long Stem / Transmission 2” and “Mutual Slump”, the latter of which sampled Björk so no wonder.

I don’t have a whole lot to say, but if you ever have time to just have music on in the background for about an hour, maybe while you do other stuff, I highly recommend you at least just put this on and enjoy it, even if you don’t really stop to appreciate it too closely. It’s just a really, really wonderful slice of art that, even if I didn’t fall in love with it, I respect deeply.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 01, 2014, 05:12:38 PM »
Plastic Flowers - Natural Conspiracy: Very pretty EP. Dreamy dream pop/shoegaze stuff that doesn’t stand out a lot but is certainly a pleasure to listen to. The only two that really stood out to me were the two final tracks, “Fake Leaves” and “White Walls Painted Black”.

Rama Set

« Reply #208 on: October 01, 2014, 05:48:03 PM »
The Raveonettes - Pe'Ahi: If you like the Stone Roses then this album rocks.  If not, then you are screwed.

Ghost of V

« Reply #209 on: October 01, 2014, 06:17:31 PM »
The Raveonettes - Pe'Ahi: If you like the Stone Roses then this album rocks.  If not, then you are screwed.

Lust Lust Lust is really good too.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: October 02, 2014, 09:29:38 PM »
Neko Case - The Worse Things Get, the Harder I Fight, the Harder I Fight, the More I Love You: I wasn’t really sure what to expect from this album, but it ended up being pretty amazing. Neko Case is clearly a very talented lyricist and I love just about each word of her songs, even when I’m not entirely sure what they’re about. She knows when to let her lyrics be flowery and when to be very blunt, when to be precise and when to be vague. Not to mention she has a very, very nice voice and the instrumentation to her songs is always great. There wasn’t a single song on here I didn’t enjoy considerably. I do have favourites (“Nearly Midnight, Honolulu” and “Where Did I Leave That Fire”), but only because they’re a notch better than the others.

This is probably the closest I’ve gotten to liking country, since this music could honestly be labeled either alternative rock or alternative country depending on who you ask, but it’s great it either way. Absolutely recommend it.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 06, 2014, 09:45:46 PM »
Pink Floyd - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn: Started out pretty good, the first few songs were very nice but didn’t really catch my attention a whole lot. “Matilda Mother”, however, drew me in and made me pay a little more attention though, because it’s a wonderful mix of gorgeous and weird. “Pow R. Toc H.” was awesome, “Take Up Thy Stethoscope and Walk”s stutteriness was great. “Insterstellar Overdrive” is almost ten minutes long but is a hell of a ride, in a good way. “The Gnome” was eh, “Chapter 24” was very pretty, “Scarecrow” was weir, catchy and nice. Then “Bike”…that might be my favourite Floyd song. I listened to a stereo mix, I don’t know if it’s much different but wow, the weird all-over-the-place mixing of the vocals is absolutely disorienting in the most amazing of ways. I love how it abruptly cuts to the beginning of a verse just as the chorus starts it on a climax, and the cacophonous ending just making you feel like you’re in some bizarre, off-the-wall cartoon. It’s fitting this closes the one album Syd got to helm, with how eccentric he apparently was. And a wonderful ending it was.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 08, 2014, 01:22:39 AM »
Two new Owl City songs!! I will listen and then finish this post.

You're Not Alone (feat. Britt Nicole): This is okay. Better than some of the stuff he's been releasing recently. It's very generically pop though, specifically Christian pop, and is just not something I expect to listen to a lot. Britt Nicole adds nothing to the song and all the musical progressions are predictable and the lyrics are all "God man you're so great". Disappoint.

Tokyo (feat. SEKAI NO OWARI): Definitely the most musically interesting song he's released in a year or so. The lyrics are almost abstract and I had a little glimmer of hope in my heart when I was first hearing them, but once I realized that after the chorus it's basically the first verse, pre-chorus and chorus repeated for the rest of the song. I wish he wasn't so focused on being musically on-point nowadays, everything's too refined. I miss when his stuff was a bit more reckless, all over the place and he didn't always bother having his vocals be perfectly in time with the music/beat or having a regular rhythm. Not gonna listen to this too much either.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 09, 2014, 03:16:30 AM »
Sam Smith - In the Lonely Hour: I don’t really like the first few and last songs on this album—they’re good, but kind of typical R&B/pop—but the middle is pretty damn amazing. In particular, I love “I’m Not the Only One” for its beautiful, sad lyrics; I love “I’ve Told You Now” for the bit of anger he lets through vocally and how he’s showing more of that side; and I love “Like I Can” for expanding how he’s willing to use his voice in different ways, when most of the album is all sang quite similarly. “Money on My Mind” is actually quite interestingly good, and a bit of a subversion of what I thought it would be, and “Lay Me Down” actually gets quite excellent near the end, but yeah.

Ghost of V

« Reply #214 on: October 09, 2014, 03:05:56 PM »
listen to wax fang.

You obviously don't know how this thread works.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #215 on: October 09, 2014, 05:19:02 PM »
Why do you keep making the same post and then deleting it, Vongeo?

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 09, 2014, 05:40:31 PM »
Probably so that a "new" post will show up repeatedly, to maximize attention and annoyance.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 09, 2014, 11:52:47 PM »
Don't listen to wax fang.
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 10, 2014, 06:54:43 PM »
dear vongeo

pls stop

thx

Ghost of V

« Reply #219 on: October 10, 2014, 08:26:26 PM »
listen to wax fang