Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
Re: Supes' Must-Listen-To List (Recommend me albums!)
« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2014, 06:19:58 AM »
Frank Zappa songs I liked most were "Dumb All Over"

In that case, I formally recommend You Are What You Is.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2014, 06:39:03 AM »
In that case, I formally recommend You Are What You Is.

Will do in many years' time, capitan.

Also thought it'd be worth noting I just listened to Aphex Twin's Windowlicker single, which contained three songs and is the first time I've ever heard him. My mind is mildly blown. Will be checking out more eventually.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2014, 06:47:56 AM »
capitan
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2014, 11:11:17 AM »
The Who - Tommy: So…sadly I didn’t really like this. I didn’t think many of the songs were all that special, I’m not terribly fond of the lyrics for the most part and I dunno, it was all just kinda forgettable. :[ For such a bizarre story, I wish they’d been a little more interesting with the music. If all of it got as aurally interesting “Tommy’s Holiday Camp”, it would’ve been a lot more thrilling a listen. My favourites were “Eyesight to the Blind (The Hawker)”, “Cousin Kevin”, “Pinball Wizard” and “Underture”, the first and last being the best of the bunch. So yeah, it was kind of a letdown, I’m sad to say. :[ There were moments of shining in the middle of some songs, but I’m not really a fan of most of the singing style, most of the lyrics and much of the music. It’s just a bit too plain. But maybe I’m crazy or too tired, but yeah. But but but

On the notion of slapping Snupes

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2014, 11:19:56 AM »
On the notion of dad rock.
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2014, 07:30:55 PM »
But srsly, I understand your criticisms of Tommy.  It's definitely something of a mess, there's a lot of filler, and it isn't really remembered as being a great album overall so much as an album that gave us some good songs.  It wouldn't have been my first choice for a Who album to recommend, but that was the only one on your list, presumably meaning you had quick access to it.  If you can ever listen to it, a much better album - their best, really - is Who's Next.  Eight songs, and every one a classic.

Also, no guarantees that you'll like it, but you might want to check out the 1975 film version of Tommy.  It cuts a lot of the weaker stuff out of the album, adds to the better songs, and presents the story in a much more comprehensible way.  It starred Roger Daltrey and had a number of famous musicians in the supporting cast, like Eric Clapton, Keith Moon, Elton John, and Tina Turner.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2014, 08:54:31 AM »
If you can ever listen to it, a much better album - their best, really - is Who's Next.  Eight songs, and every one a classic.

Alternatively, you can get everything that's good on Who's Next by listening to the first minute.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2014, 10:12:34 AM »
The Who is a singles band. Should've just gotten a greatest hits compilation.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2014, 01:12:48 PM »
If you can ever listen to it, a much better album - their best, really - is Who's Next.  Eight songs, and every one a classic.

Alternatively, you can get everything that's good on Who's Next by listening to the first minute.

All of the album is good.

That was true for much of their career, but I don't think Snupes was looking for greatest hits compilations when she asked for albums.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 01:18:51 PM by Saddam Hussein »

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #89 on: March 26, 2014, 10:50:00 PM »
"Killer Queen" is about a prostitute.  Not many people seem to realize that, but it's true.

Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 27, 2014, 03:25:48 AM »
That's just not true.   It may be true for Who's Next but Tommy and Quadrophenia function as cohesive albums, not just as collections of songs, in my opinion.   I personally prefer Quadrophenia to Tommy.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2014, 07:25:17 PM »
That's just not true.   It may be true for Who's Next but Tommy and Quadrophenia function as cohesive albums, not just as collections of songs, in my opinion.   I personally prefer Quadrophenia to Tommy.

Collections of songs, as in - dare I say it - conventional albums?  I'm sorry, but have you suddenly revealed yourself as some kind of elitist hipster who looks down her nose at non-concept album music?  If so, then I frown at you.  If not, then I apologize for the accusatory tone of the last couple of lines.

Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 27, 2014, 09:02:23 PM »

Collections of songs, as in - dare I say it - conventional albums?  I'm sorry, but have you suddenly revealed yourself as some kind of elitist hipster who looks down her nose at non-concept album music?  If so, then I frown at you.  If not, then I apologize for the accusatory tone of the last couple of lines.
Certainly not.  But Tommy and Quadrophenia are, in fact, concept albums, which would seem to contradict the assertion that the Who are a "singles" band.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 28, 2014, 11:01:02 PM »
Traditionally the album, as in the song cycle, is a collection of diverse songs with related themes. In this sense, any "genuine" album is a concept album to some extent, it's just that in popular music the convention was to have albums be collections of singular songs simply because the single was the mainstay of Tin Pan Alley, which the modern pop industry grew out of.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2014, 02:35:27 PM »
hey guys look another album that wasn't on the list

Com Truise - Wave 1: This is a pretty great EP. I wish all the tracks were as mindblowingly wonderful as the last one, “Wave 1”, which is the one that lead me to listen to this. That said, there's still some really good ambient electronic/glitchy stuff in here. The quality of all the other songs are pretty consistent though, so I don't really have any favourites other than that.

Various Artists - Tongue Tied: A compilation by Parsifal, of course. I liked it a whole lot. The best track for me is pretty easily the opening track, “One of These Doctors”, a mix of Pink Floyd's “One of These Days” and the Doctor Who theme, composed (mostly) by Ron Grainer and performed by Delia Derbyshire. It is wonderful. Most of the songs are well-mixed with one another, though certain songs feel I changed radio stations for a moment. Mainly “Tongue Tied” and “Pokémon Theme Song”. Both start out as per usual, then there's a rather sudden switch to a Zappa solo before going back to the other track, and it's kind of jarring. It works better in the latter than the former, I think, because in that case it's really jarring. Other than that, it's a rather solid compilation and it is good. :] If nothing else, it's worth a listen just to hear the wonderful noise track "Munchen" by Merzbow segue into the Pokémon theme.

Orbital - In Sides: I liked this a whole lot more than Grooverider. I forget what exactly I asked for that led to this album's recommendation, but I'm glad I did because it was really cool. It was some sort of weird, ambient electronica in the most wonderful of ways. None of the songs really ever felt too long, either, despite many of them being around ten minutes. My favourites are the upbeat “P.E.T.R.O.L.”, the downbeat, ambient “The Box (Part 2)”, and “Adnan's”, which seemed to find a perfect place somewhere between those. It was really pleasant.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 03:29:29 PM by Snupes »

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 23, 2014, 11:54:52 AM »
The Asteroids Galaxy Tour - Fruit: I loved the first three songs, then it got a little less amazing, then good for a moment, then the rest of the album kinda dragged a little. The songs were interesting musically, but after that point it was all kinda generic stuff lyrically and not as sonically fascinating. The best one by far, for me, is “Push the Envelope”. I love its rhyme scheme and I adore the slow but heavy synth pulse in the background, and the song never slows down or loses its stride. The first two, “Lady Jesus” and “The Sun Ain't Shining No More” are my other two favourites, the first for how it sounds and the latter more for its lyrics. The rest (aside from “Crazy”, which is very good) are okay, and the final track “Bad Fever” is disappointing because the opening and closing of it show so much promise, with the weird screechiness of them that could've easily made for my favourite song on the album if it weren't just at those points. But ah well. I'm glad to have heard it for the songs I did love, at least. :]

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F♯ A♯ ∞: This album is insanely wonderful. The first track, “The Dead Flag Blues” was really pretty and I figured that'd be about how the album was, but once “East Hastings” came around my mind was basically blown. Pretty opening, insane crescendo and gorgeous closing. It might be my favourite Godspeed You! track. That said, the final song, “Providence”, is absolutely magnificent as well and gives it a run for its money. The only downside is the several minutes of silence near the end (I don't really like when tracks do that), but the awesomeness after it possibly makes up for it. I think I like this album more than Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven.

Frank Zappa - Italian Debris: Put together by Parsifal, obviously. This was very good as a compilation, but I get the feeling more and more that I'm just not very big on Zappa. I think he's really talented and all, but I dunno, a lot of what he does doesn't inspire a lot in me and I don't really love it. For one thing, I don't like Frank's voice. But yeah, as a compilation this is really well-done but I suppose I'm not quite a Zappateer. “Sharleena” and “King Kong” were the only two I really liked a lot, and I'm sure the audio quality had a bit to do with it all.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 03:10:05 PM by Snupes »

« Reply #96 on: April 23, 2014, 05:15:18 PM »
Yo, what would you suggest to someone who listens to a lot of Kanye West?

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 23, 2014, 05:36:47 PM »

Kendrick Lamar

Ghost of V

« Reply #98 on: April 23, 2014, 05:41:03 PM »

I wouldn't ask for music recommendations from anyone who has Flyleaf on their "must listen to" list.

Just saying.

« Reply #99 on: April 23, 2014, 05:57:44 PM »

Oh, he my nigga'! Correct answer is "More Ye", though.