Offline Boots

• ---- Cogito, ergo sum. ---- -Descartes
    • View Profile
Re: I want to hear again the excuses why GPS cannot be ground based ?
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2016, 09:13:07 PM »
Irrelevant. (In b4 junker)

Sorry. Back to GPS systems.
“There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them.” - George Orwell

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2016, 10:39:33 PM »
Still no evidence that GPS uses anything other than satellites.

Or evidence that it has to use satellites. What a fun thread.
There is no doubt that the systems we use for navigation and timing and call GPS use satellites.

Could we realistically build a land based system giving the same features and performance?  No.

Citation needed...
1 - Documentation, observation, no evidence of alternative method.  Operation in oceans etc.

2 - Please provide links to documented design of an equivalent land based system.

You're the one who just made the claims, friend. While I appreciate your numbered points, it's up to provide evidence for your claims.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
I want to hear again the excuses why GPS cannot be ground based ?
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2016, 10:40:36 PM »
Irrelevant. (In b4 junker)

Please refrain from making low content posts in the upper fora. Warned.

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2016, 10:51:56 PM »
Still no evidence that GPS uses anything other than satellites.

Or evidence that it has to use satellites. What a fun thread.
There is no doubt that the systems we use for navigation and timing and call GPS use satellites.

Could we realistically build a land based system giving the same features and performance?  No.

Citation needed...
(1) You completely ignore Re: I want to hear again the excuses why GPS cannot be ground based ? « Reply #56 on: Today at 01:29:07 AM ».
      Now I fully realise that my posts are irrelevant and worthless, but to be even denied your usual imperious "irrelevant" answer is a little impolite.
      But, in that post I described how GPS can be ground based - it is NOT impossible, but absolutely impractical for both political and financial reasons.

(2) You have the boot completely on the wrong foot. You demand "Citation" for inquisitive's claim.
     You seem to be the one claiming that we can "realistically build a land based system giving the same features and performance".
     So, YOU come up with evidence supporting your inference. We do have a GPS (Global Positioning System),
     it gives the claimed accuracy and as far as I can tell gives world coverage, apart from near each pole and under obstructions.
     Claims of GPS not working "in the Sahara" and other locations usually boil down to "smartphone" GPS, which usually needs mobile data for maps.
     I have self-contained GPS handsets with built-in maps and I have coverage all over Australia and in aircraft and ships over open ocean.

I guess I could waste my time and go through the DECCA and Loran systems, which had neither the accuracy (200 m and 180 m) nor range needed for a modern global navigation system, but you would rubbish that too so I'll leave with your fiction.

Offline Boots

• ---- Cogito, ergo sum. ---- -Descartes
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2016, 09:02:40 AM »
Irrelevant.

Please refrain from making low content posts in the upper fora. Warned.

I could not agree more with your assessment of my post. That was pretty stupid of me. Just posting the word "irrelevant" without any explanation to back up my one word statement.  I will try to refrain from being such an ignorant ignoramus in the future.

“There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them.” - George Orwell

geckothegeek

« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2016, 02:42:57 PM »
I will apologize to all the fe'ers. But I am sort of a techie nerd.
All that fe'ers seem to do is to try to ignore , deny , or deride any thing of scientific or technical nature.
And it's usually something of which they are completely ignorant.
The old "Ham Radio Measurements Of The Distance From The Earth To The  Moon" was my first attempt and a prime example.
It got so stupid replies from some fe's that it got hilarious.
It does get a bit irksome, but if you don't take it seriously, it can get downright funny.
Seems like GPS is falling into the same pattern.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 09:06:45 PM by geckothegeek »