FE Questioning
« on: October 23, 2016, 04:21:19 AM »
Hi there.
I'm a round earther.

I want to ask some questions about the flat earth model. Give me your best answers.

1. Why can't you see stars in the northern hemisphere when you are in the southern hemisphere?
2. Since gravity attracts objects to the center of a more massive object, why doesn't the buildings farther from the center slant towards the center of the earth?
3. How does a lunar eclipse occur?
4. Why are the other planets seen as spherical when you look at it through a telescope?
5. Timezones?

Please note that when answering, give a detailed explanation.
"Science never solves a problem without creating ten more." - George Bernard Shaw

Offline CableDawg

• View Profile
Re: FE Questioning
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 05:44:35 AM »
From one RE to another, welcome to the nuthouse.

1.  There are a few RE people from the other half of the world who have addressed this before.  To the best of my knowledge all they heard in response was crickets.

2.  No such thing as gravity in FET.  What we experience as gravity they explain as being caused by the constant upward motion of the FE flying through space.

3.  Bendy light and/or what I've come to call dark light (explains earthbound shadows as well).

4.  Bendy light and/or aberrations caused by the lenses in telescopes and cameras.

5.  I've no idea.

I know this isn't exactly what you've asked for (not really detailed) but most FE people on this site will merely point you (maybe) to posts dealing with your questions or will only tell you to look at the all knowledgeable FE wiki.  Though I've only been coming to this site for a short time, what I've listed above is the shorthand version of the most common, long winded, rebuttals seen on this site.

If you truly want to jump into the rabbit hole with both feet may I suggest you look up posts by Tom Bishop and Intikam.

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 07:51:53 AM »
Thanks for taking your time for answering my questions.

Now, to wait for a FE to answer my questions.
"Science never solves a problem without creating ten more." - George Bernard Shaw

Offline Boots

• ---- Cogito, ergo sum. ---- -Descartes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 10:30:34 AM »
Thanks for taking your time for answering my questions.

Now, to wait for a FE to answer my questions.

Good luck with that. As CableDawg said they will just point you to a bunch of material - often long, rambling, poorly done and heavily biased youtube vids.

If you want to know the theory better you can look in the library or the wiki. Most of it is based on a book 100 years ago. The theory hasn't advanced much since then as far as I can see.
“There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them.” - George Orwell

geckothegeek

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 02:48:37 PM »
The constant upward motion is called "Universal Acceleration".
And the lunar eclipse is caused by a "Dark Object" getting between the sun and the moon.
Through the "Aether" I presume ?
(5) Just guessing but I think time zones are determined by dividing the disc as in a clock face ?
And  getting on intikam's  "ignore list" is like getting your letter in football.
From one RE nutter to another .Welcome to the club ,! .....LOL
C'mon FE's......A little help, please !

« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 03:48:17 PM by geckothegeek »

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 02:55:01 PM »
Hi there.
I'm a round earther.

I want to ask some questions about the flat earth model. Give me your best answers.

1. Why can't you see stars in the northern hemisphere when you are in the southern hemisphere?
2. Since gravity attracts objects to the center of a more massive object, why doesn't the buildings farther from the center slant towards the center of the earth?
4. Why are the other planets seen as spherical when you look at it through a telescope?
5. Timezones?

I would suggest starting with the FAQ.

geckothegeek

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 03:45:27 PM »
And "Earth Not A Globe", written in the 19th Century by Doctor Samuel Birley Rowbotham , PhD, MD, the source of all Flat Earth Truth and Knowledge.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 06:14:05 PM »
And "Earth Not A Globe", written in the 19th Century by Doctor Samuel Birley Rowbotham , PhD, MD, the source of all Flat Earth Truth and Knowledge.

Please don't make nonsensical and false claims. It hurts what little credibility as an honest debater you may have left.

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 03:44:58 AM »
And "Earth Not A Globe", written in the 19th Century by Doctor Samuel Birley Rowbotham

Please don't make nonsensical and false claims.

Tell it to Tom Bishop, who refers us to the writings of Rowbotham at every opportunity.
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 09:06:14 AM »

I will just tackle the lunar eclipse for a start.

Junker, in usual enlightening fashion, says "I would suggest starting with the FAQ", so of course I do a search on "lunar eclipse" and get:
Re: Solar and lunar eclipse « Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 10:52:32 PM » Big help! Refers you to Wiki and Q&A.
Re: What is the shape of the Moon and its orbit ? « Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 08:16:42 AM » Doesn't help me much, I wrote it!

Maybe I'd better look at older Q&A posts:
Re: Eclipses « Reply #29 on: January 19, 2015, 12:47:18 AM » Well, I doubt  ;) markjo will give FET answer  ;)!
Re: Basic physics laws « Reply #21 on: May 22, 2015, 07:20:16 AM » Nor from Alex (Spock!).
Re: For those who believe in a flat Earth. « Reply #62 on: July 05, 2015, 11:42:33 AM » JRowe is a Flat Earther, but no help!

Maybe we look at posts by the ultimate authority, Junker! Sorry, NONE. Try Tom Bishop next.
Re: Eclipses « Reply #27 on: January 18, 2015, 09:59:57 PM » But that's no help!
Re: Solar and lunar eclipse « Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 10:52:32 PM » Not much help.

Well the Q&A seems useless, so look up "the Wiki". Ah, now we've hit pay-dirt with
Quote from: the Wiki
The Lunar Eclipse
A Lunar Eclipse occurs about twice a year when a satellite of the sun passes between the sun and moon.
This satellite is called the Shadow Object. Its orbital plane is tilted at an angle of about 5°10' to the sun's orbital plane, making eclipses possible only when the three bodies (Sun, Object, and Moon) are aligned and when the moon is crossing the sun's orbital plane (at a point called the node). Within a given year, considering the orbitals of these celestial bodies, a maximum of three lunar eclipses can occur. Despite the fact that there are more solar than lunar eclipses each year, over time many more lunar eclipses are seen at any single location on earth than solar eclipses. This occurs because a lunar eclipse can be seen from the entire half of the earth beneath the moon at that time, while a solar eclipse is visible only along a narrow path on the earth's surface.
Total lunar eclipses come in clusters. There can be two or three during a period of a year or a year and a half, followed by a lull of two or three years before another round begins. When you add partial eclipses there can be three in a calendar year and again, it's quite possible to have none at all.
The shadow object is never seen because it orbits close to the sun. As the sun's powerful vertical rays hit the atmosphere during the day they will scatter and blot out nearly every single star and celestial body in the sky. We are never given a glimpse of the celestial bodies which appear near the sun during the day - they are completely washed out by the sun's light.
It is estimated that the Shadow Object is around five to ten miles in diameter. Since it is somewhat close to the sun the manifestation of its penumbra upon the moon appears as a magnified projection. This is similar to how during a shadow puppet show your hand's shadow can make a large magnified projection upon your bedroom wall as you move it closer to the flashlight.
But for me, this raises more questions than it answers! (see my post in Re: Why should anyone believe the earth is flat? « Reply #75 on: March 16, 2016, 11:08:14 PM »).

My big problem is simply that it is completely impossible for the 5 to 10 mile diameter Shadow Object to cast a shadow from a 32 mile diameter sun onto a 32 mile diameter moon. Especially as the shadow on the moon appears to be about 3 times the diameter of the moon.

If the Flat Earth experts will not give answers for the rest of your questions, I might give them a go. Some are handled OK in "the Wiki".

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 03:25:10 AM »
Okay, I've read about my every question in the wiki.
(Except for the northern and southern stars)

From what I've read, more questions have arisen.

1. What is the sun made of? How can an object 32 miles in diameter 3000 miles above ever heat earth enough to sustain life?
    a. And if it isn't the sun that's heating the earth, what is?
2. So, what REALLY causes the northern and southern stars?
3. If gravity does not exist at ALL, how does the sun, moon and stars orbit around earth?
4. The wiki states that "The earth is surrounded on all sides by an ice wall that holds the oceans back. This ice wall is what explorers have named  Antarctica." But a land circumnavigation through the poles contradicts this statement. http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/first-circumnavigation-via-both-poles-surface https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transglobe_Expedition

Again, please give a detailed explanation.

Offline Luke 22:35-38

• The earth is round. Prove I'm wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 03:30:09 AM »
Shalom and welcome to the forum from another round earther.
Isaiah 40:22 "It is he that sitteth upon the CIRCLE of the earth"

Scripture, science, facts, stats, and logic is how I argue

Evolutionism is a religion. Can dumb luck create a smart brain?

Please PM me to explain sunsets.

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 06:05:37 AM »

4. The wiki states that "The earth is surrounded on all sides by an ice wall that holds the oceans back. This ice wall is what explorers have named  Antarctica." But a land circumnavigation through the poles contradicts this statement. http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/first-circumnavigation-via-both-poles-surface https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transglobe_Expedition
There are also the expeditions described in Re: Has anyone ever flown a plane across Antarctica? « Reply #80 on: August 30, 2016, 04:27:50 AM »
But the nearest I've been able to get is that any evidence that casts doubt in the Flat Earth is automatically a fake (in other words, a lie).

Now, just to confuse the issue we have this from Tom Bishop, a very prominent member of TFES.
Rabinoz, I support the Bi-Polar model, so I don't know what you are trying to prove to me there.
. . . . . . . . . . .
The South Pole was not yet discovered when Rowbotham wrote Earth Not a Globe. It is understandable why he might depict the earth without it.

The Bi-Polar model is first advocated in the book The Sea-Earth Globe and and its Monstrous Hypothetical Motions, (Zetetes, 1918). However, the layout of the continents is left ambiguous due to lack of data. The layout and dimensions of the continents in our picture may be different as well. Someone apparently just found a map projection of a globe that looked similar for illustrative purposes.