Offline Globus Cruciger

• Theory: fit the data, be simple, make prediction.
    • View Profile
Circle of a Sphere
« on: January 03, 2016, 06:34:40 PM »
If one is standing at a point at which they can see the horizon as flat, 360 degrees around them, then this does not prove the earth is flat.  One would simply be looking at the 'circle of a sphere' on a globe earth. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_of_a_sphere)
The truth about biggest conspiracy ever: www.vaticancatholic.com

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Circle of a Sphere
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 07:24:59 PM »
If one is standing at a point at which they can see the horizon as flat, 360 degrees around them, then this does not prove the earth is flat.  One would simply be looking at the 'circle of a sphere' on a globe earth.
Yes. Your point?
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Globus Cruciger

• Theory: fit the data, be simple, make prediction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 07:30:56 PM »
What this fact does is refute one of the main false assumptions of FEers, namely, that one can tell what shape the earth is from ground level.  For positive proof of a globe earth, one need only look at a horizon distance chart (http://www.table-references.info/earth-table-distances.php).  The fact that one can see significantly further from a higher altitude proves the earth is a globe, for this is observable from any point on earth.  Engineers factor this effect into their surveying by C+R formulas (http://www.aboutcivil.org/curvature-and-refraction.html).
The truth about biggest conspiracy ever: www.vaticancatholic.com

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 12:08:30 AM »
What this fact does is refute one of the main false assumptions of FEers, namely, that one can tell what shape the earth is from ground level.
No one makes that assumption - RE'ers just like to think that we do. In reality, it is merely a supporting piece of very anecdotal evidence.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 06:51:34 AM »
Actually, my basis for believing that the Earth is flat has nothing to do with the appearance of the horizon.  That the horizon can be used to determine the shape of the Earth, under any circumstances, seems to be a chiefly RE assumption.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

geckothegeek

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 03:41:12 AM »
Actually, my basis for believing that the Earth is flat has nothing to do with the appearance of the horizon.  That the horizon can be used to determine the shape of the Earth, under any circumstances, seems to be a chiefly RE assumption.

Have you ever viewed the horizon from ground level and compared what you can see on the horizon on the ground level compared with the view from the top of a building or an observation tower ? Have you ever been to sea and observed how things appear or disappear over the horizon ? If the earth was flat, what would you expect to see, but what do you really see ?

geckothegeek

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 04:04:35 AM »

Which of these do you believe ?
Re: The horizon :
(1)The horizon is an indistinct blur which fades away in the distance. The height of the observer makes no difference.
(2) The horizon is a distinct line where earth  (or sea) meets the sky. The observed  distance to the horizon depends on the height of the observer. The higher the  observer is, the farther the observed distance to the horizon is.
(3) Or something else.

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 02:43:45 AM »
Which of these do you believe ?
You can not ask that question. 
You are asking for a definition not a belief. 

Your question makes no sense.  Stop trolling. 

How about YOU define the word and stop talking past everybody??
or 
Tell us what YOU believe you are seeing.

Note to honorable true earthers: 
Do not let the shills confuse debate.  Put the onus on them to define their words with accurate scientific terminology.  Be nitpicky in your demands for precision.  Do not accept any of their axioms that do not make sense to you.   
They will always fail or run away from the challenge because it will obligate them to admit truth. 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 02:49:00 AM by Charming Anarchist »
watch?v=xhcVJcINzn8

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 02:50:50 AM »
One would simply be looking at the 'circle of a sphere' on a globe earth. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_of_a_sphere)
You could also be looking down from the top of a tall wide mountain. 

You could have poor eye sight. 

You could have small eye balls which would not allow you to physically discern much very far. 

Heck, you could be standing on your head inside a deep crater for all we know. 

There are lots of possibilities because the "horizon" is not a physical object.  It is a product of perception. 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 02:54:14 AM by Charming Anarchist »
watch?v=xhcVJcINzn8

geckothegeek

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 04:03:15 AM »
Well....It  is simply a well known fact that the earth is the globe that it is.

But this website is interesting for the imaginative and weird ideas that make absolutely no sense that are posted by so-called "flat earth believers".

Keep it up and thanks for the entertainment.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 04:07:03 AM by geckothegeek »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 03:48:58 PM »
Well....It  is simply a well known fact that the earth is the globe that it is.
Historically, it was also a well-known fact that homosexuality causes AIDS. Funny, that, it's almost as if "many people believe it, therefore it's true" is not a very strong line of reasoning.

Offline Luke 22:35-38

• The earth is round. Prove I'm wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2016, 03:19:00 AM »
Just subscribing.
Isaiah 40:22 "It is he that sitteth upon the CIRCLE of the earth"

Scripture, science, facts, stats, and logic is how I argue

Evolutionism is a religion. Can dumb luck create a smart brain?

Please PM me to explain sunsets.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2016, 03:58:03 AM »

Have you ever viewed the horizon from ground level and compared what you can see on the horizon on the ground level compared with the view from the top of a building or an observation tower ? Have you ever been to sea and observed how things appear or disappear over the horizon ? If the earth was flat, what would you expect to see, but what do you really see ?

Well, I would certainly expect the horizon to appear curved from very high above the Earth (for example, from an airplane), but the fact that it still appears flat from such a height has nothing to do with my belief in a flat Earth (to reiterate, the fact that I am able to directly observe that the Earth is flat is reason enough for me, and there has never been presented the sort of extraordinary evidence that would overturn such a view).

As to the illusion of a ship sinking as it disappears over the horizon, this is adequately explained by the presence of the aether, which causes the appearance of curvature over long distances.  It is the same reason as the moon appears spherical from Earth despite being just as plainly flat on its surface as the Earth is.  Obviously, that such an illusion should appear over long distances is nothing surprising, and certainly not enough to overturn the far more immediate evidence based on direct observation that the Earth is flat.

Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2016, 06:25:42 PM »
So apparently the reason we think it is flat is because the government is lying to us if so... What are they gaining from it. Why would they do that. All it does is hold back scientific discoveries???

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 04:29:09 PM »

Well, I would certainly expect the horizon to appear curved from very high above the Earth (for example, from an airplane), but the fact that it still appears flat from such a height has nothing to do with my belief in a flat Earth (to reiterate, the fact that I am able to directly observe that the Earth is flat is reason enough for me, and there has never been presented the sort of extraordinary evidence that would overturn such a view).

As to the illusion of a ship sinking as it disappears over the horizon, this is adequately explained by the presence of the aether, which causes the appearance of curvature over long distances.  It is the same reason as the moon appears spherical from Earth despite being just as plainly flat on its surface as the Earth is.  Obviously, that such an illusion should appear over long distances is nothing surprising, and certainly not enough to overturn the far more immediate evidence based on direct observation that the Earth is flat.
So someone made up aether (which it was called in historical experiments that later proved that they were wrong) to conveniently explain how its magical abilities makes ships look as if they disappear below the horizon? How convenient. And not at all a zetetic approach.
Ignored by Intikam since 2016.

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 04:31:58 PM »
So, by observation, I can conclude that the atmosphere is curving because I've taken photos of it from 24km altitude, or do you have yet another far fetched explanation that tries to convince me that my electronics aren't up to par even though I have nearly 10 years of practical engineering and programming experience?

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2016, 04:49:17 PM »

So, by observation, I can conclude that the atmosphere is curving because I've taken photos of it from 24km altitude, or do you have yet another far fetched explanation that tries to convince me that my electronics aren't up to par even though I have nearly 10 years of practical engineering and programming experience?

We know know nothing about the equipment you allegedly used to take photos. Assuming you did take photos, any perceived curvature was likely due to lens distortion. Even if earth were round, you'd need a lot of specific conditions to even hope to see curvature at an altitude that low.

If you want to post the specifics of your equipment, along with the photos and the data supporting your altitude claim we can certainly dive into this further.

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2016, 05:09:07 PM »

We know know nothing about the equipment you allegedly used to take photos. Assuming you did take photos, any perceived curvature was likely due to lens distortion. Even if earth were round, you'd need a lot of specific conditions to even hope to see curvature at an altitude that low.

If you want to post the specifics of your equipment, along with the photos and the data supporting your altitude claim we can certainly dive into this further.
Deal.

You can start by reading about Dave Akermans experiments here : www.daveakerman.com

We use a lot of the same equipment. In particular, you can read his log of one of his launches here : http://www.daveakerman.com/?p=1154 and http://www.daveakerman.com/?p=592

Christer Fuglesang

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2016, 05:11:38 PM »

Even if earth were round, you'd need a lot of specific conditions to even hope to see curvature at an altitude that low.

Doesn't that speak against the 'zetetic' approach (to conclude that the Earth is flat)?

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2016, 05:12:11 PM »
In a previous post here I even posted the data sheets of the electronics, the camera in particular (can't be bothered to search for it via tapatalk)