Offline matt

• View Profile
Please explain Earth's shadow on the moon.
« on: October 08, 2016, 04:52:51 PM »
Hello. I will confess, I am not a flat earther, but I am very interested in learning why so many people do believe in the FET.

Here's my question: According to FET the sun and moon rotate above a flat disk that is the earth. What how does this model explain lunar eclipses, i.e. when the earth goes between the sun and moon and casts its shadow onto the moon.

Surely, if FET were true, this would not be possible. Yet we have thousands of years worth of evidence that it does happen. And, it is something that can be observed by everybody.

Thank you.

geckothegeek

Re: Please explain Earth's shadow on the moon.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 06:08:22 PM »
Hello. I will confess, I am not a flat earther, but I am very interested in learning why so many people do believe in the FET.

Here's my question: According to FET the sun and moon rotate above a flat disk that is the earth. What how does this model explain lunar eclipses, i.e. when the earth goes between the sun and moon and casts its shadow onto the moon.

Surely, if FET were true, this would not be possible. Yet we have thousands of years worth of evidence that it does happen. And, it is something that can be observed by everybody.

Thank you.
The simple explanation is :
(1) The earth is a globe  and the "round earth" explanation is  correct.
(2) The "flat earth" explanation is that some mysterious  "dark object" comes between the sun and the moon and causes the eclipse. My guess is that this "dark object" is something  like a gigantic black ping pong paddle that comes between the sun and the moon to cause eclipses. "Flat Earth" also says that this "dark object" is otherwise invisible because it is lost in the glare of the sun......or some other reason ?
(3) I am a confirmed "round earther", so hopefully some confirmed "flat earther" can give you a better explanation about lunar and solar eclipses...Sorry....That was the best I   could come up with .
LOL

Welcome  to The Flat Earth Society, the only source of all truth and knowledge on the (flat, of course) earth.
Every one else, they say....especially NASA....are nothing but satanic, satan worshipping liars.
Although at first they just blamed NASA only as the liars with their "blue marble painting to hide the fact that the earth is flat." NASA has a staff of artists to draw those "pretty pictures" of the so-called planets such as Jupiter, Saturn, etc. But I think they have gradually come to realize the fact that there are a few other countries that have Space Agencies besides the USA and NASA.

That goes for us poor ham radio operators, too.
We say we've done something called "Moon Bounce" and "bounced" radio waves off the moon (like radar, of course.)
We say we've measured the distance from the earth to the moon this way  and it's approximately 238,150 miles and the moon is 2 ,150 miles in diameter.
"Flat Earthers" say we are either wrong , mistaken or just plain satanic liars. The moon is 32 miles in diameter and 3,000 miles from the earth (flat earth, of course.)

BTW & FWIW. The fe's also say the moon and the sun are the same size - 32 mile diameter - and distance - 3,00 miles. Since moon and sun travel at slighly diffferent speeds, how do they keep from bumping into each other ? That's MY question. ??? ::)
LOL

Stay tuned. There is much to learn about "flat earth."

« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 08:54:34 PM by geckothegeek »

geckothegeek

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 03:00:16 AM »
Since I am not sure about the answer to my question about why the moon and the sun do not bump into each other if the earth was flat, and seeing no response from any flat earther for an answer, I am going to have to hazard a guess for myself.  :

My guess is since the moon and the sun in the flat earth animation seem to be always 180 degrees apart, the sun and the moon travel at the same speed if the earth was flat. When  it  is noon on one side of the earth it is midnight on the opposite side of the earth. This seems logical. Same as round earth.

As to the light of the moon, I have read this from flat earthers :
(1) The sun is not exactly a spotlight, but it does act like a spot light and shines directly down on the earth.
(2) Therefore the sun's light does not shine on the moon.
(3) Thefefore the moon does not reflect light from the sun.
(4)) Therefore the moon is self-illuminated. In other words it produces its own light.
(5)  Therefore this illumination is produced by "bio-luminescent" creatures called "moonshrimp" or "moonshramp". Size, shape and how many are unknown.
(6) Therefore The phases of the moon are caused by migrations of these creatures back and forth across the moon. A full moon occurs when all of these creatures are present and at their full brilliance. A New Moon,  or "Dark Moon" , occurs when they all retreat to the "dark side" , or the rear, or back side of the moon.

This is how I read it, , but being a "round earther" , I'm not sure if it is correct or not . If some flat earther can supply some corrections and explain this better, I would be more than happy  to see them.
Thank you in advance ,
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 10:29:36 PM by geckothegeek »

Offline CableDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 05:26:21 AM »
Considering that, in the FE model, the sun and moon are both basically nothing more than spotlights on a track the best I can come up with which falls within the realm of FE theory is that occasionally the moon passes over a reflective device located somewhere on the FE which reflects "dark light" back up to the moon.  It is this "dark light" which looks like a shadow.

Disclaimer:  I can't find any reference to or support of "dark light" in the real world or in the FE wiki.  I merely made up "dark light" as it is the only thing I can come up with which fits various FE theories which deal with shadows.

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 10:54:47 AM »
Considering that, in the FE model, the sun and moon are both basically nothing more than spotlights on a track the best I can come up with which falls within the realm of FE theory is that occasionally the moon passes over a reflective device located somewhere on the FE which reflects "dark light" back up to the moon.  It is this "dark light" which looks like a shadow.

Disclaimer:  I can't find any reference to or support of "dark light" in the real world or in the FE wiki.  I merely made up "dark light" as it is the only thing I can come up with which fits various FE theories which deal with shadows.
Be careful what you ask for! Dark Matter, Dark Photons And The Fifth Force  ;)

Offline Norr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 02:33:16 AM »
I say that until there is one single unifying theory of the FE then anything said about it is bunk because it just contradicts the next FE'er and so on making any and all discussion on the topic an infinite loop of misinformation and insults.

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 03:19:28 AM »
I say that until there is one single unifying theory of the FE then anything said about it is bunk because it just contradicts the next FE'er and so on making any and all discussion on the topic an infinite loop of misinformation and insults.

Yes, you should try "TheFlatearthSociety.org". There are two administrators who seem to hold quite opposing views. So I put up a thread claiming that Voliva's figures (and "the Wiki's") are wrong, and one (Ski as it happens) claims that he knows that are wrong, and has told me that "dozens of times".
Then there is the other (John Davis) who puts out this "screed" The Flat Earth Society, EARLY PARALLAXIAN THEORY IN A NUTSHELL pushing the "old line" of 3,000 mile high sun, etc, etc.

It's like trying to debate a "bucket of eels".

Then the same John Davis puts out Einstein's Relativity Proves The Earth is Flat. Well, no he should really claim that "John Davis's Relativity Proves The Earth is Flat", because it is definitely not "Einstein's Relativity" but own twisted (quite literally) version.

As I said a "bucket of eels".

Surely, there is ONE earth, it is ONE shape, and that is it. gee, I bet you didn't expect that from your "innocent" statement!

Offline Salviati

• I don't have a personal text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 01:27:15 PM »

This image from page http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap080820.html

Lunar eclipse of 16 August 2008. It's the real moon photographed with a real camera operated by a real human being The umbra of the earth is clearly visible.  And now look at this:

I did this animation with one of my planetariums on my PC. PCs are all about mathematical calculations. Planetariums do calculations based on data of the solar system, i mean Kepler's laws, Newton theory of gravitation and all that stuff. How is that only putting the date of the eclipse in the planetarium it can do a perfect representation of the eclipse, if the scientific description of the solar system is wrong? Better said: planetariums work according the round earth.

Another:

Page http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap111215.html
Lunar eclipse 10 December 2011. Here too we can see the shadow of the (round) Earth casted on the Moon. This too is a real picture of the moon (a time lapse to be precise, like the other). With my planetarium:

Once again, performing calculations based on round Earth model a program running on a PC can do a precise description of the eclipse. How this can be explained if the Earth is flat? ( and then his model is different at all ?)

Here the Earth's shadow is entirely visible:

Page http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap130425.html

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 10:59:35 PM »

Thank you.

According to TFES Wiki it is not the earth but a "Shadow Object" that comes between the sun and the moon:
Quote from: the Wiki
The Lunar Eclipse
A Lunar Eclipse occurs about twice a year when a satellite of the sun passes between the sun and moon.

This satellite is called the Shadow Object. Its orbital plane is tilted at an angle of about 5°10' to the sun's orbital plane, making eclipses possible only when the three bodies (Sun, Object, and Moon) are aligned and when the moon is crossing the sun's orbital plane (at a point called the node).
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
The shadow object is never seen because it orbits close to the sun. As the sun's powerful vertical rays hit the atmosphere during the day they will scatter and blot out nearly every single star and celestial body in the sky. We are never given a glimpse of the celestial bodies which appear near the sun during the day - they are completely washed out by the sun's light.[1]

It is estimated that the Shadow Object is around five to ten miles in diameter. Since it is somewhat close to the sun the manifestation of its penumbra upon the moon appears as a magnified projection. This is similar to how during a shadow puppet show your hand's shadow can make a large magnified projection upon your bedroom wall as you move it closer to the flashlight.

The geometry I interpret from the Wiki for a lunar eclipse is:

Flat Earth Sun, Shadow Object and Lunar Eclipse

I don't care where the "Shadow Object" is located
I cannot see any possibility of the "five to ten miles in diameter" "Shadow Object" causing ANY shadow on the moon at all.
Also any object that size and distance would have shown up on radar long ago.

The topic of lunar eclipses has been brought up numerous times here and on TheFlatEarthSociety.org numerous times and as far as I am concerned no-one has any plausible "flat earth" explanation.

I tried to get some answers to this and the related "moon phases" problem in
Why should anyone believe the earth is flat? « Reply #75 on: March 16, 2016, 11:08:14 PM ».
How does a Full Moon appear Full for everyone? « on: April 28, 2016, 08:40:55 AM »
How does a Full Moon appear Full for everyone? « on: April 24, 2016, 01:29:43 AM »

Hope you have better luck.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 05:14:55 AM by rabinoz »