Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
RIP Prince
« on: April 21, 2016, 05:59:26 PM »
Prince, who is arguably one of the greatest musicians of our time, was found dead today at 57. This is what it sounds like when the doves cry.

Incidentally Chyna was just found dead too so one- named celebrities are dropping like flies. Has anybody checked on Beyonce lately?
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline beardo

• View Profile
Re: RIP Prince
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 06:20:12 PM »
Prince, who is arguably one of the greatest musicians of our time
I'm gonna have to argue that he wasn't.
The Mastery.

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 08:11:03 PM »
Prince, who is arguably one of the greatest musicians of our time
I'm gonna have to argue that he wasn't.

You are entirely entitled to your incorrect opinion.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 08:26:02 PM »

Sublime guitarist!
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 12:30:45 AM »
RIP. He was definitely one of the musicians of all-time. :[

What album of his should I listen to? I've never heard his stuff before.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Dionysios

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 02:30:46 AM »
The first thing that came to mind when I heard this news what Vanity passed away very recently. I wonder if Prince had felt any responsibility for the lifestyle and subsequent ill health she acquired. This gives me pause as he did not survive her death more than a few weeks - especially considering that Prince was apparently in good health and his death was quite unexpected.

At any rate, total respect to both of them.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 02:35:15 AM by Dionysios »

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 02:40:51 AM »
Game. Blouses.

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 02:55:58 AM »

Cards on the table, I have enormous respect for him and his music and I love his singles (of which there are many, he was quite prolific), but I was never that into his albums.  I've heard them, but it was a long time ago.  You probably can't go wrong with Purple Rain or 1999 (I'd lean toward Purple Rain if only because both the title track and "When Doves Cry" are sublime) because a lot of his most iconic material is on those two albums.  Back in the day I did own a copy of Diamonds and Pearls; not the best album I've ever owned by a long shot, but there are a lot of good songs on it that I still listen to sometimes.

You could just listen to a greatest hits collection, but I know you won't do that so I won't suggest it.  :-X

Game. Blouses.

Yes, there's this.  It occurred to me today that both subjects of Charlie Murphy's "True Hollywood Story" are now dead.

Sad.  :(

Offline Dionysios

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 03:53:38 AM »
I think plenty of Prince's music was catchy. In that respect, he's better than most, but the lyrics were generally disappointing and weak. Not radical enough and intellectually disappointing. In that department, he's average.

Since Prince's heyday was the Reagan era, perhaps he had to conform to be famous. Perhaps he would have been significantly less well known if he had been more political like Pete Seeger.

Songs like 'Controversy' with lyrics like Che Guevara speeches - now that would have been the ticket.

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 07:34:20 AM »

All though he was a masterful sexy little rock god, non of his albums, i don't think, were great all through.
Sign O the times, for funky eighties vibe, especially the signature track and the deliciously weird "If I was your girlfriend".
Graffiti Bridge for "Question of You" & "Joy in repetition" 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 07:46:19 AM by Jura-Glenlivet »
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

Offline Dionysios

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 03:01:43 AM »
I'd say that Prince and the musical groups associated with him (Sheila E, Morris Day, Vanity 6) constituted the continuation of disco into the Reagan-Bush era.

I wonder if his passing will mean that studio original versions of his classic songs will become available on YouTube again.