Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online/General Elder Scrolls Discussion
« Reply #1860 on: March 02, 2015, 10:17:34 PM »
That's a really good point, buddy. Now that you mention it, that is kind of silly. I guess I never really thought about it lol.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Ghost of V

« Reply #1861 on: March 02, 2015, 10:21:00 PM »
That's a really good point, buddy. Now that you mention it, that is kind of silly. I guess I never really thought about it lol.

I'm glad we're in agreement. Morrowind is terrible.

« Reply #1862 on: March 03, 2015, 04:30:05 AM »
ITT: 2 nostalgic nerds clash.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1863 on: March 04, 2015, 02:31:58 AM »
No. You said it yourself, "I am biased, and also I am dumb." Pretty much everything you mentioned involved personal preference, and not even the most skilled debateur could repair your nostalgia induced insanity.

The absurdity of connecting a hit but still missing is not personal preference. That was a terrible design choice. Pseudo-action based combat should not be governed by dice rolls. Rats should not be able to easily kill a fully grown adult dunmer with a sword.

Yes, it is.  It might be one that most people would share, but it's still a subjective opinion.  Personally, I don't mind the reliance on your stats and chance, but I think they could have stood to make the system a little more forgiving.  Practicing a skill you're not experienced in should be difficult, yes, but not borderline impossible.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 03:40:47 AM by Saddam Hussein »

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: March 04, 2015, 02:32:58 AM »
It is not borderline impossible. Nobody would play a game if one of the most basic tasks was borderline impossible. Unless it were one of those novelty games that's meant to be as difficult as possible.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 02:35:00 AM by Particle Person »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: March 04, 2015, 02:55:58 AM »
It is not borderline impossible. Nobody would play a game if one of the most basic tasks was borderline impossible. Unless it were one of those novelty games that's meant to be as difficult as possible.

If you don't make your character with specific skills in mind, it is borderline impossible. I actually stopped playing Morrowind for a bit, and then looked up a character creation tutorial, just because my character could quite literally not kill a rat during the first fighter's guild quest. The game seems to lean on assuming whoever is playing it has prior experience in creating RPG characters and what skills to pick in order to make functional combat feasible.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 02:58:04 AM by Irushwithscvs »

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: March 04, 2015, 03:07:10 AM »
If you don't make your character with specific skills in mind,

You literally have no choice but to make your character with specific skills in mind, unless you close your eyes while allocating your majors and minors. If you don't know what a certain skill does, then just read the description for it. What set of circumstances led to you failing to kill a rat?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: March 04, 2015, 03:11:28 AM »
Yet the game punishes you for ever branching from those skills. I choose Bow/Archery whatever for my skills but then when encountering a rat in close quarters I pulled out a dagger and could not kill the rat. That is a stupid game design and you know it.

Ghost of V

« Reply #1868 on: March 04, 2015, 03:14:04 AM »
No. You said it yourself, "I am biased, and also I am dumb." Pretty much everything you mentioned involved personal preference, and not even the most skilled debateur could repair your nostalgia induced insanity.

The absurdity of connecting a hit but still missing is not personal preference. That was a terrible design choice. Pseudo-action based combat should not be governed by dice rolls. Rats should not be able to easily kill a fully grown adult dunmer with a sword.

Yes, it is.  It might be one that most people would share, but it's still a subjective opinion.  Personally, I don't mind the reliance on your stats and chance, but I think they could have stood to make the system a little more forgiving.  Practicing a skill you're not experienced in should be difficult, yes, but not borderline-impossible.

You're right, but you could argue that any bad game design choice is simply personal preference.

The rat point still stands.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: March 04, 2015, 03:14:36 AM »
Marksman was your only major/minor combat skill?

Ghost of V

« Reply #1870 on: March 04, 2015, 03:21:18 AM »

If the game explained character creation in a bit more detail he probably would not have made such a stupid decision. Or you know, if they made the game more user friendly to begin with.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: March 04, 2015, 03:24:53 AM »

I don't use it a lot so I normally opt to give it an extra boost so I don't suffer from not using it. I didn't realize the game was literally asking "which one of these do you want to be useful?" I then picked an additional host of skills I don't use often to, again, increase them without grinding effort.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: March 04, 2015, 03:33:08 AM »

I don't use it a lot so I normally opt to give it an extra boost so I don't suffer from not using it. I didn't realize the game was literally asking "which one of these do you want to be useful?" I then picked an additional host of skills I don't use often to, again, increase them without grinding effort.

So you tried to game the system in a very dumb way, and it backfired. What terrible design. I think most people can CHIM hard enough to intuit that when the game asks for your "major" skills, it's asking for the ones that you wish to use the most.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: March 04, 2015, 04:03:33 AM »
So you tried to game the system in a very dumb way, and it backfired. What terrible design. I think most people can CHIM hard enough to intuit that when the game asks for your "major" skills, it's asking for the ones that you wish to use the most.

It's not asking for skills you use the most, it's asking for skills that your character can use, it just gives a psuedo feeling of being able to do whatever you want. It doesn't even make logical sense. How can a person be a good marksman but have Parkinson's trying to kill a rat with a dagger?

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: March 04, 2015, 04:06:23 AM »
Why doesn't the game tell you that you will literally suck ass and be a bumbling fuck with the skills you don't pick as major skills?
The Mastery.

Ghost of V

« Reply #1875 on: March 04, 2015, 07:23:37 AM »
Why doesn't the game tell you that you will literally suck ass and be a bumbling fuck with the skills you don't pick as major skills?

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: March 04, 2015, 07:37:41 AM »
Holy fuck, how is Rushy this bad at video games?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: March 04, 2015, 12:00:19 PM »

Daaw, wittle blanko is upset dat wushy daws not like has fawrite gaem.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: March 04, 2015, 01:08:14 PM »

Daaw, wittle blanko is upset dat wushy daws not like has fawrite gaem.

But my favourite game isn't Morrowind.

It's just baffling to me how you can have literally zero interests besides video games, yet you're still overwhelmed by simple RPG systems.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: March 04, 2015, 01:38:48 PM »

It's not asking for skills you use the most, it's asking for skills that your character can use, it just gives a psuedo feeling of being able to do whatever you want. It doesn't even make logical sense. How can a person be a good marksman but have Parkinson's trying to kill a rat with a dagger?

Were you also maximally fatigued while fighting this rat?