• View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online/General Elder Scrolls Discussion
« Reply #1620 on: December 12, 2014, 11:20:13 PM »
Irrelevant.
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1621 on: December 13, 2014, 12:11:59 AM »
The important thing about the Dwemer isn't their height, but the fact that they're cool.  Because they are super cool.  It's too bad that TESO didn't really have anything new to say about them.  There are a few of their ruins to explore in Morrowind, Skyrim, and Hammerfell, in accordance with the lore, and there are a couple of quests where you help researchers try to find out more about Dwemer technology, but you don't learn anything major.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: December 13, 2014, 12:16:02 AM »
You do, however, learn that the layout and appearance of the ruins apparently change over time...
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1623 on: December 13, 2014, 12:36:17 AM »
You do, however, learn that the layout and appearance of the ruins apparently change over time...

Shh.  TESO's focus on smaller, less linear dungeons was a welcome return to form for the series.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: December 13, 2014, 12:39:24 AM »

Shh.  TESO's focus on smaller, less linear dungeons was a welcome return to form for the series.

Returning to the form of which game?
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: December 13, 2014, 12:40:09 AM »
I remember when I was just starting out with RuneScape finding a piece of goblin armor and being annoyed that I couldn't wear it.  Those were the days.  On topic, fine.  The Dwemer still weren't short, though.

You brought this back up just to get your new argument pummeled and then revert back to the "nuh-uh" ... "yeah-huh" argument style? Ew.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1626 on: December 13, 2014, 03:15:38 AM »

Returning to the form of which game?

There are some differences, of course, but in terms of general layout, TESO's dungeons are most similar to Oblivion's.  So while they're not fantastic, a good chunk of them do at least offer some alternate routes, and they don't take long to clear at all.

If my language hasn't made it clear by now, dungeon design is one of the many things I've jumped to Team Morrowind for.  There, it actually feels like I'm exploring a mysterious ruin or a foreboding temple.  Skyrim's dungeons, with their relentless linearity, are just boring.  I'm not exploring a dungeon in that game; I'm going on a shitty haunted house ride at an amusement park.

You brought this back up just to get your new argument pummeled and then revert back to the "nuh-uh" ... "yeah-huh" argument style? Ew.

TESO and its dopey libraries-in-dungeons has pretty much tied my hands on this point.  I didn't remember them until I had written out that post.  So yeah, people must be going in and out of dungeons and dumping stuff there all the time.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 03:31:56 AM by Saddam Hussein »

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: December 13, 2014, 10:40:28 AM »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: December 13, 2014, 02:00:36 PM »
I suggest you stop reading it then.
The Mastery.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: December 13, 2014, 05:30:11 PM »
Unfortunately participation in this thread is mandatory.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: December 13, 2014, 05:42:21 PM »
vie-vec
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1631 on: December 13, 2014, 06:14:11 PM »

You're learning.  On topic, Shivering Isles is pretty good.  Much more creative and imaginative than the vanilla game.  I don't know if I'd agree that it was heavily inspired by Morrowind, though.  It has the giant mushrooms, but not much else.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: December 13, 2014, 07:10:18 PM »

You're learning.  On topic, Shivering Isles is pretty good.  Much more creative and imaginative than the vanilla game.  I don't know if I'd agree that it was heavily inspired by Morrowind, though.  It has the giant mushrooms, but not much else.

Giant mushrooms are unique and original scenery that Morrowind created. Anything that has giant mushrooms is mimicking Morrwind by default.

Ghost of V

« Reply #1633 on: December 13, 2014, 07:16:07 PM »
I'm surprised Saddam didn't make the Shiver Isles/Morrowind connection considering he just played Morrowind.

Are you really playing these games, Saddam? :O

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: December 13, 2014, 09:14:16 PM »
He's right, though, Shivering Isles has pretty much nothing in common with Morrowind. If giant mushrooms = "MORROWANG RIP-OFF" then Morrowind's giant mushrooms makes it a rip-off of Alice in Wonderland.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1635 on: December 13, 2014, 09:18:20 PM »
Giant mushrooms! Holy mother of fuck, Morrowind is a Beyond the Dark Portal rip-off!!!
The Mastery.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: December 13, 2014, 09:21:25 PM »
Giant mushrooms! Holy mother of fuck, Morrowind is a Beyond the Dark Portal rip-off!!!

Morrowind fanboys thought that giant mushrooms specifically were original content the existed only in Morrowind. The point of the reference was showing that Morrowind wasn't very original, not to say Morrowind is literally Beyond the Dark Portal. The same logic stretches to anyone who says that Shivering Isles was only good because "it was totally just like Morrowind, man" when wasn't even remotely like Morrowang.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: December 13, 2014, 09:35:29 PM »
I think you're the only person here who's made a connection between giant mushrooms and originality

« Reply #1638 on: December 13, 2014, 11:03:10 PM »
lol @ the notion that someone can rip something off from Warcraft.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: December 14, 2014, 12:21:41 AM »
He's right, though, Shivering Isles has pretty much nothing in common with Morrowind. If giant mushrooms = "MORROWANG RIP-OFF" then Morrowind's giant mushrooms makes it a rip-off of Alice in Wonderland.

People enjoyed the landscape of SI because it was outlandish and interesting, like Morrowind's. It was a welcome departure from the countryside of Cyrodiil. That's all.