Saddam Hussein

Re: The Elder Scrolls Online/General Elder Scrolls Discussion
« Reply #1220 on: September 24, 2014, 05:54:46 PM »
Yes, Vongeo, you were right.  Also:

"You are the first to come here in many long centuries, since this place was sealed."

There's that infamous line that literally everyone (or a few people, whatever) mocked during the beta!  BAW GENRE BLINDNESS

So now I have a horse, and I love how this works.  All you have to do is press H, and you whistle for your horse, which materializes on the spot, followed by you automatically hopping on.  When you dismount, the horse magically vanishes.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 06:51:51 AM by Saddam Hussein »

Ghost of V

« Reply #1221 on: September 24, 2014, 06:06:22 PM »
So now I have a horse, and I love how this works.  All you have to do is press H, and you whistle for your horse, which materializes on the spot, followed by you automatically hopping on.  When you dismount, the horse magically vanishes.

Wow. That's really unrealistic. Even for a Scrolls game. It should at least show you casting some sort of teleport spell, or summoning the horse from the planes of oblivion. Whistling is not magic. 0/10

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: September 24, 2014, 06:07:59 PM »
You're supposed to pretend it's closeby all the time, duh
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1223 on: September 24, 2014, 06:47:46 PM »
No, I think it's kind of like playing that song for Epona in Zelda games.  Your horse hears your summons and promptly returns to your side.

Ghost of V

« Reply #1224 on: September 24, 2014, 06:49:23 PM »
No, I think it's kind of like playing that song for Epona in Zelda games.  Your horse hears your summons and promptly returns to your side.

Epona doesn't materialize. She runs to you from far off screen.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 06:53:16 PM by Vauxhall »

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1225 on: September 24, 2014, 10:49:34 PM »
High Rock is really boring.  It's even more generic medieval European fantasy than Cyrodiil in Oblivion.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: September 25, 2014, 01:29:07 AM »
High Rock is really boring.  It's even more generic medieval European fantasy than Cyrodiil in Oblivion.
How is that possible?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1227 on: September 25, 2014, 02:19:21 AM »
I may have exaggerated somewhat.  But still, the quests especially feel very stock.  So far, most of them are just "Generic bandits/Daedric worshippers have taken over this settlement!  Can you get rid of them for us?"  There's nothing that makes them feel distinct or unique compared to quests that we'd see in other zones or alliances.

To be fair, though, Bretons were already kind of boring in the lore.  ZeniMax probably didn't have much to work with.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: September 26, 2014, 09:08:35 PM »
Bill Nighy the Science Guyi?
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Rama Set

« Reply #1229 on: September 26, 2014, 09:29:25 PM »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: September 26, 2014, 09:30:15 PM »
huge
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1231 on: September 27, 2014, 05:28:01 PM »
Okay, I take back what I said about the Daedric Princes and their worshippers being generic.  What I should have said is that Molag Bal is generic.  He's just evil, and, well, that's it.  Technically, his sphere is domination and enslavement, but the in-game translation of this seems to be that everything he and his followers do is for the evulz.  It's just bizarre.  We can at least understand the draw of the other Princes by looking at their spheres - Hermaeus Mora appeals to curiosity and the seeking of knowledge, Sanguine to base, hedonistic desires, etc. - but why would anyone worship or follow Molag Bal?

Anyway, I'm making this distinction because the game is much better when it focuses on the other Princes, which it sadly doesn't do all that often.  We already know that Molag Bal is the main villain.  He's the one who stole your soul, after all.  We don't need to keep running into his followers at least once in every zone just to reinforce what a bad guy he is.

Ghost of V

« Reply #1232 on: September 27, 2014, 05:32:30 PM »
Okay, I take back what I said about the Daedric Princes and their worshippers being generic.  What I should have said is that Molag Bal is generic.  He's just evil, and, well, that's it.  Technically, his sphere is domination and enslavement, but the in-game translation of this seems to be that everything he and his followers do is for the evulz.  It's just bizarre.  We can at least understand the draw of the other Princes by looking at their spheres - Hermaeus Mora appeals to curiosity and the seeking of knowledge, Sanguine to base, hedonistic desires, etc. - but why would anyone worship or follow Molag Bal?

Anyway, I'm making this distinction because the game is much better when it focuses on the other Princes, which it sadly doesn't do all that often.  We already know that Molag Bal is the main villain.  He's the one who stole your soul, after all.  We don't need to keep running into his followers at least once in every zone just to reinforce what a bad guy he is.

Followers of Molag Bal are probably people we would consider psychopathic, murderous, sadistic, narcissistic, etc. Basically: trolls. It makes sense from a lore perspective, there are many Daedric princes, all governing over something having to do with human nature. Evil is pretty much the embodiment of humanity.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1233 on: September 27, 2014, 05:47:22 PM »
Molag Bal is the favored deity of Internet trolls.  I like it.  Anyway, here's something funny about Vivec and Kirkbride:

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/94926/kissing-up-to-murdering-charlatans-lore-issue-for-nerds-you-have-been-warned

I really don't look forward to Vivec ever being in the game now, as I absolutely despise him. Mind you this is mainly coloured by the non-canon scribblings of his insane author, who likes to live vicariously through Vivec and turned him into an invincible mary sue who totally survived Morrowind then ate Azura and got away with everything!

Kirkbride's vicarious fantasies annoy me. I hate author avatars in general, because they invariably win at everything, become universally admired and have all of the sex.

Well I'm not saying Kirkbride's stuff is entirely without merit he just refuses to balance his writings and just has Vivec win at everything.

He's also a complete ***. I once argued with him over his daft concept that Nirn was flat. When I showed him the evidence primarily from Redguard and Oblivion that Nirn is indeed round like any other planet he started flaming me.
This guy cannot accept he is one among many writers you see. He still thinks Morrowind is his personal opus.

Is this true, PP?  Is Vivec a self-insertion Mary Sue fantasy?  And is Nirn really flat?

Ghost of V

« Reply #1234 on: September 27, 2014, 05:52:22 PM »
FNS
Flat Nirn Society

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: September 27, 2014, 06:00:47 PM »
But Kirkbride characterizes Nirn as round in C0DA.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: September 27, 2014, 06:30:12 PM »
Is this true, PP?  Is Vivec a self-insertion Mary Sue fantasy?  And is Nirn really flat?

I would agree that it wasn't always that way but that he is now. That doesn't necessarily make him a bad character.

I vaguely remember a somewhat supported theory that Nirn sat atop the back of a giant dragon, which would make it kind of flat, but now I can't find any information about this at all. There are desk globes in the game Daggerfall, which suggests that Nirnians at least believe that the Nirn is round. I'm not sure.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1237 on: September 28, 2014, 01:51:46 AM »

You read C0DA?  Why?  You hate lore.  Also:

Maybe TESO will feature Dwemer soon, and then we'll be able to settle this issue.
There are some in the second section of the daggerfall Covenant. Everyone hates them and I think they are slaving stuff.

I can confirm that this is incorrect.  Not sure what you were even thinking of.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: September 28, 2014, 08:45:51 AM »

Maybe TESO will feature Dwemer soon, and then we'll be able to settle this issue.
There are some in the second section of the daggerfall Covenant. Everyone hates them and I think they are slaving stuff.

Vongeo'd.
The Mastery.

Offline Vongeo

• I don't get it either
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: September 28, 2014, 06:43:29 PM »

I thought in that city with the paranoid guard captain they have a slave ship and capture some people.
Maple syrup was a kind of candy, made from the blood of trees.