Offline Excelsior John

• Excelsior! Flat Earth FTW!
    • View Profile
    • Excelsior! Flat Earth
Re: Purgatory
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2015, 08:31:38 PM »
Well, perhaps because the FES is NOT the Government, but a privately held concern, and therefore not subject to the constitution of any country, that might be your first mistake. For someone in college, and taking a politics course, you really need some remedial studies on the subject of what is, and what is not, covered by that document.
Prove to me that it says this. And evan if it did FES wuld be amiting there anti-American by praventing are free speche. And are politicks techer teches us that the constatushin is the praduck of evil rascist wite men who wanid to keep pepel of coler in slaverey and frankley I agre. She and my African American studies profeser are probz the onley to things that are keeping me from droping owt (tho im still considering it tho).
Perhaps it is possible to have a punishment role. They can post, but no one can see their posts, and they are forever talking to themselves thinking that they are being ignored.
What kind of sick horibel monster are you?! That is not simpel punishmint that is crool and unusuel torchur! I am sickined that anywon culd evan consider such a thing! Only a republicen wuld think of something like that!
Perhaps it is possible to have a punishment role. They can post, but no one can see their posts, and they are forever talking to themselves thinking that they are being ignored.

This has been suggested multiple times at this point and Parsifal claimed it wouldn't be hard to implement. "Shadow banning" people seems like a good way to punish repeat offenders, causing them to waste their own time trolling. It would take many posts before someone realized they've been shadow banned. It does wonders for Reddit, it could work here too.
No it wuldent!!! This is digusting why wuld you want to play such a sick joke on somewon?!
I think that shadow banning would contravene the society's mantra of free speech. Ensuring someone only speaks in a particular area does at least allow them to have interactions with others and say what they want. If you prevent everyone from seeing someone's posts, you effectively disconnected them from the society. If you are going to do that, you may as well have the balls to ban them properly.
Exacley! Thankyou th*rk you are a TRUE American and FEr!
I have to agree with Th*rk. What's the point of shadow banning when you could just hand them a regular ban? It's better for the offender and the society as a whole that they know they are being punished and what they are being punished for.
Thank you for standing up for America blacko! Such a mezsur wuld be pure evil!
Shadow-banning is definitely chicken-s**t. If you are going to ban someone, do it openly and honestly, or put them in Purgatory. But don't fake them out with a shadow-ban. That's crap.
Wow. Histerey has been made! For wunce I actuley agre with yakoov! Inded such a thing wuld be a abuse on are rites as Americans!!!!!!
Viva la FES!
Quote from: Yaakov ben Avraham link=https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=59968.msg1544396#msg1544396
Excelsior:...You are clearly a reasonable and intelligent person.

Offline Excelsior John

• View Profile
    • Excelsior! Flat Earth
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2015, 08:54:41 PM »
Okay im just gona come owt and say it if no won else will: the reson as to why this is all hapining to me is obvousley becuz I am a person of coler. And I find it vary ofensive and disgusting that I am undergoing such discrimation and rascism. Being of coler isent a crime and i think its vary unforchinit that whats going on here isent a hate crime. And wunce agen aluding to the Constatushin did not George Washintin rite in there that all men and women are CREATID (unlike what the stupit monkee science of EVILution wants you to beleive) equel? Yeh exacley.
Viva la FES!
Quote from: Yaakov ben Avraham link=https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=59968.msg1544396#msg1544396

Thork

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2015, 09:02:52 PM »
I think that shadow banning would contravene the society's mantra of free speech. Ensuring someone only speaks in a particular area does at least allow them to have interactions with others and say what they want. If you prevent everyone from seeing someone's posts, you effectively disconnected them from the society. If you are going to do that, you may as well have the balls to ban them properly.
I'm English! >o<

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2015, 09:15:35 PM »
Aside from the obvious fact that being 1/32nd black does not make you a person of colour except in your own head, let us assume you WERE  a person of colour. I haven't seen  anyone insult you for being such. What evidence do you have to indicate or prove that your placement in Purgatory is due to colour and not to your constant insults toward anyone who disagrees with you? So far, all you have done since your return is indicate that anyone who challenges your view of the world must be stupid, a racist, etc. As I see it, you have made people dislike you by your own rudeness and disrespect toward others. If you learn, as I did, to be courteous, you may find that it is returned by others, including the Censors.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2015, 09:22:52 PM »
EJ, please tone it down in S&C. The reason you can still post here is that we'd like to keep S&C open to all forum users, even those in Purgatory, as it's important that people can have their say regarding the way the forum is run. However, if you're just going to throw around insults and unfounded accusations without contributing anything, that will change.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Excelsior John

• View Profile
    • Excelsior! Flat Earth
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2015, 09:42:43 PM »
I'm English! >o<
My apaliges Dr. Th*rk!
Aside from the obvious fact that being 1/32nd black does not make you a person of colour except in your own head, let us assume you WERE  a person of colour. I haven't seen  anyone insult you for being such. What evidence do you have to indicate or prove that your placement in Purgatory is due to colour and not to your constant insults toward anyone who disagrees with you? So far, all you have done since your return is indicate that anyone who challenges your view of the world must be stupid, a racist, etc. As I see it, you have made people dislike you by your own rudeness and disrespect toward others. If you learn, as I did, to be courteous, you may find that it is returned by others, including the Censors.
First of all how DARE you call me "BLACK"! Do you know how ofensive that is to me as a person of coler! That is a horibel racial slur and I think that you are HILEY insensativ!!! And reley? You havint seen ANYWON that has insultid me in a rascist way?! *cough* yakoov *cough* You just caled me a raciel slur for crying owt lowd!!! And I dont tell pepel there stupit/rascist becuz they disagre with me. I tell them that there stupit becuz there stupit and that there rascist becuz there rascist and frankley your both!
EJ, please tone it down in S&C. The reason you can still post here is that we'd like to keep S&C open to all forum users, even those in Purgatory, as it's important that people can have their say regarding the way the forum is run. However, if you're just going to throw around insults and unfounded accusations without contributing anything, that will change.
Stop playing inicint with me Parsifal we both know you have your predjidices. But plese tell me what I need to do to get back into the uper fora! If you tell me what to do and let me back in ill do it! Plese!!!!!!!!!!
Viva la FES!

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2015, 09:49:15 PM »
Stop playing inicint with me Parsifal we both know you have your predjidices. But plese tell me what I need to do to get back into the uper fora! If you tell me what to do and let me back in ill do it! Plese!!!!!!!!!!

You can start by proving that you're capable of holding an adult conversation in CN, because this is your last post here. Bye.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2015, 09:53:45 PM »
Even assuming that I wanted to call you "black", I would not be able to. Your skin is almost as light as mine, and that is saying something, given that I am about as light as they make them, at least for a Jew. I would love for you to prove to me that I am racist in any way.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2015, 06:45:28 AM »
Just to add to the pile of shadowban-related comments: shadowbanning is a terrible idea. We currently have a public list of all people banned and all people in the Purgatory (although that one could be made slightly more accessible). We've been striving for transparency all this time, and an introduction of a "secret" disciplinary measure sounds extremely counter-productive.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2015, 08:35:30 AM »
Just permaban him already. We seem to be tying ourselves in knots trying to deal with a situation which doesn't need extra layers of security masks, shadowbans, etc.

It just needs an honest admission that we have a serially annoying poster who makes no attempt to reform. All this high-minded talk about freedom of expression is just a distraction from that main issue.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2015, 09:54:24 AM »
It just needs an honest admission that we have a serially annoying poster who makes no attempt to reform. All this high-minded talk about freedom of expression is just a distraction from that main issue.
Good idea. While we're at it, let's ban more people based on an honest admission that the mods/admins find them annoying. That's gonna go well.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2015, 10:12:56 AM »
is there anybody on the forum who doesn't find EJ annoying?

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2015, 10:15:09 AM »
GHOST, what a stupid question. I think most people here find me annoying, and I would hazard a guess that there are more people here who find EJ annoying than find me annoying. So, to answer your question, i think the answer must be no, there is not anyone here who does not find EJ annoying.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2015, 10:30:13 AM »
Precisely.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2015, 12:07:31 PM »
Sure, let's ban Thork while we're at it. Nobody's gonna miss him, right?

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2015, 12:20:54 PM »
Thork, while being at least as obnoxious as I am, does contribute interesting commentary. He @ least shows signs of having a brain. IMHO, this is NOT the case with EJ on either count.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2015, 12:35:09 PM »
Well, he does keep repeatedly trolling you. I think that's indicative of something.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2015, 12:39:25 PM »
The advantage of Purgatory over a permaban is that it does give the poster time to rehabilitate, in cases where bans only serve to aggravate them. If you don't want to read EJ's posts, just don't go to CN or AR, and it will be as if he were banned.

Also, I'd like to add my voice to the "no shadow bans" crowd. I think what we have now is a much better solution.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2015, 12:44:57 PM »
Parsival, I am inclined to agree. Blanko, I get a certain guilty plasure out of feeding him.

« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2015, 01:55:18 PM »
FWIW, I don't think the issue is that he's annoying.  I think the issue is that he's obviously not genuine.  It's just some troll spamming our message boards.  It's ironic that this is happening in IRC literally as I type this, but I don't think it's any different than the people who come to IRC to spam the chat with things like "the earth is square" a jillion times.  We ban them, and it's fine to ban/purgatory EJ.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 02:13:48 PM by garygreen »
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.