Yaakov ben Avraham

Ferdinand Magellan
« on: January 21, 2014, 07:13:51 PM »
Although it is clear that Columbus could sail easily across the Atlantic irrespective of the shape of the Earth (whether it were round like a ball, like a disc, or for that matter, even square), Magellan was able to circumnavigate the globe. The question is this. Although one can indeed leave Spain and return to it on a flat disc-shaped Earth, on a mono-polar map, the further South one goes the more messed up one's time frame becomes, and Magellan went pretty far South (all the way to the tip of South America, in fact; the Straits of Magellan are obviously named for him). A bi-polar map also presents problems in terms of time frame and distance. How can this be explained? I have to wrap this up, as I'm on a VERY unstable wi-fi connection (pulling off a neighbour). I'll get back on my phone. But any ideas?

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
Re: Ferdinand Magellan
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 07:39:17 PM »
I honestly don't see the problem he. He went around Cape Horn. That's perfectly allowable in either theory.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 08:08:47 PM »
Well, on a uni-polar map, time frame & distance between the Straits of Magellan and Spain (& other points, particularly South of the Equator) get messed up. Even on a bi-polar map, things are a little dicey.

Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 12:10:00 AM »
Well, on a uni-polar map, time frame & distance between the Straits of Magellan and Spain (& other points, particularly South of the Equator) get messed up. Even on a bi-polar map, things are a little dicey.

Our representation of the map has some distortion in the southern hemisphere because it is merely an illustrative approximation.  Still, his journey was very much possible, so I don't see why it would be a major point of contention.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 12:28:27 AM »
Ok. Lets forget about Magellan. On the unipolar map, sailing from Argentina to Australia is quite a trip!

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 06:11:22 AM »
Well, he was killed in the Philippines, but 1 of his ships made it back to Spain 3 yrs after it left.

Offline spank86

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 11:10:38 AM »
Although it is clear that Columbus could sail easily across the Atlantic irrespective of the shape of the Earth (whether it were round like a ball, like a disc, or for that matter, even square), Magellan was able to circumnavigate the globe. The question is this. Although one can indeed leave Spain and return to it on a flat disc-shaped Earth, on a mono-polar map, the further South one goes the more messed up one's time frame becomes, and Magellan went pretty far South (all the way to the tip of South America, in fact; the Straits of Magellan are obviously named for him). A bi-polar map also presents problems in terms of time frame and distance. How can this be explained? I have to wrap this up, as I'm on a VERY unstable wi-fi connection (pulling off a neighbour). I'll get back on my phone. But any ideas?

given the time period and ship technology I'd suggest that winds and tides could easily have obscured many discrepancies in terms of distance.

Plus 3 years is plenty of time to travel round the extra distance.

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 04:59:51 PM »
any ideas?

Magellan was part of the Conspiracy. Show me the ships logs.

I have to wrap this up, as I'm ... pulling off a neighbour

LOL

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 05:11:31 PM »
Fappenhosen, you sick bastard! LMFAO