Offline Action80

• View Profile
Re: President Joe Biden
« Reply #300 on: May 11, 2021, 12:50:14 PM »
Everyone wants to be pampered thinks they deserve a living wage is more accurate.
FTFY

Why would anyone with a kid go back to work to make a couple hundred bucks more a month, but then have to pay hundreds more for childcare, when they could stay at home, make more net income and spend time with their family? The fact that people are spinning this as 'lazy workers' instead of 'corporate greed and an unlivable minimum wage' is kind of amazing to watch
They wouldn't.

They would rather be pampered and taken care of by somebody else.

As long as I have enough to live, I am generally satisfied, as would 80 percent of all people.

If the government is paying me enough to live, then work be damned.

People are fucking lazy whether you like the fact or not.
To be honest I am getting pretty bored of this place.

« Reply #301 on: May 11, 2021, 01:08:27 PM »
>capitalism works because everyone is greedy
>also social welfare is bad because everyone is lazy

i fucking hate this country
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 11, 2021, 01:16:59 PM »
>capitalism works because everyone is greedy
>also social welfare is bad because everyone is lazy

i fucking hate this country
It is possible to be extremely greedy and extremely lazy all that same time.

Why would that shock you to the point of hate?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 11, 2021, 02:14:39 PM »
Everyone wants to be pampered thinks they deserve a living wage is more accurate.
FTFY

Why would anyone with a kid go back to work to make a couple hundred bucks more a month, but then have to pay hundreds more for childcare, when they could stay at home, make more net income and spend time with their family? The fact that people are spinning this as 'lazy workers' instead of 'corporate greed and an unlivable minimum wage' is kind of amazing to watch
They wouldn't.

False.  Most people want to work.  Why do you think most retired people find hobbies or community service?  Boredom is a thing.

As long as I have enough to live, I am generally satisfied, as would 80 percent of all people.
Yep.  Tho 'living' is a relative term.  Like if you had enough to live in a 1 bedroom apartment in the middle of a gang infested part of the city and eat nothing but junk food... Is that enough?  Would you want more to save?  Maybe buy a house?  Start a family?  Go to school?

Tell me: what is 'enough to live' for you?

Don't project your own desires on humanity, dude. 
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 11, 2021, 02:47:54 PM »
FTFY

They wouldn't.

False.  Most people want to work.  Why do you think most retired people find hobbies or community service?  Boredom is a thing.
It is true that boredom is a thing. I never claimed it was not a thing.

Most people do not want to work.

Hobbies and community service is not viewed as work by people who perform such things.

Playing the guitar =/= work for me.

I am not good enough to get paid doing it though.

For most people work = slavery.
Yep.  Tho 'living' is a relative term.  Like if you had enough to live in a 1 bedroom apartment in the middle of a gang infested part of the city and eat nothing but junk food... Is that enough?  Would you want more to save?  Maybe buy a house?  Start a family?  Go to school?

If you want those things, you should put in the work required to get those things.

You cannot blame some other entity for not doing the work required to get those things.

Although that is your favorite pastime.

Not my desires at all.

I know damn well the government is not inclined to take care of me.

People like you they will take care of.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 11, 2021, 03:03:37 PM »

Yep, there's the problem.

I believe you that you're lazy, lackey. It doesn't surprise me really. But most people have aspirations for more than the bare minimum to survive. Indeed, that's why capitalism is supposed to work in the first place.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Iceman

• where there's smoke there's wires
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 11, 2021, 03:15:00 PM »
Exactly. A government should pay people enough to live. A company should pay employees enough to have a life.

Minimum wage should reflect the ability for someone to have a life, just as it did back when America was 'great'. Currently theres little motivation for someone to go get a minimum wage job, and very little capacity for people to 'pull themselves up by their bootstraps' to reuse the old trope.

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 11, 2021, 03:17:51 PM »

I believe you that you're lazy. It doesn't surprise me really. But most people have aspirations for more than the bare minimum to survive. Indeed, that's why capitalism is supposed to work in the first place.
I think you are totally missing the point.

I am not most people.

I work every day.

Nobody is paying me to stay home and not work.

But most people are not, because as I pointed out earlier, a couple making twice the median income in the US by not working will not work for less.

I get paid about the median income in the US.

I have a house, two cars, a few Thork-like sport bikes, a couple of guitars, and riding mower to take care of the grounds.

But I work for it because I want those things.

When I don't want them anymore, I will work enough to get what I want.

I don't believe anyone owes me a goddamn thing, unlike you.

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 11, 2021, 03:21:50 PM »
Exactly. A government should pay people enough to live. A company should pay employees enough to have a life.

Minimum wage should reflect the ability for someone to have a life, just as it did back when America was 'great'. Currently theres little motivation for someone to go get a minimum wage job, and very little capacity for people to 'pull themselves up by their bootstraps' to reuse the old trope.
Who wants a minimum wage job?

Minimum wage jobs are for children who don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

So you're an advocate for no work.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 11, 2021, 03:25:30 PM »

I believe you that you're lazy. It doesn't surprise me really. But most people have aspirations for more than the bare minimum to survive. Indeed, that's why capitalism is supposed to work in the first place.

I am not most people.

I work every day.

But most people are not, because as I pointed out earlier, a couple making twice the median income in the US by not working will not work for less.

I have a house, two cars, a few Thork-like sport bikes, a couple of guitars, and riding mower to take care of the grounds.

Hmm. I'm trying to square this away with your claim that you wouldn't work if the government paid you to do nothing. I assume you recognize that you wouldn't be able to afford all those things on the government till.

So you felt it important to work hard to get those things, but if the government was paying you the bare minimum to survive you wouldn't have and would have just been content sitting home, doing nothing and owning nothing of value?  ???

That's just weird, lackey. Again I don't think most people feel the same way.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 03:28:34 PM by Roundy »
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 11, 2021, 03:59:31 PM »
This is you projecting.  It is not reality.  Unemployed people want to work.  But if unemployment is higher than the the shitty job you had, why would you want to go back to it?
Tell me, would you go pick strawberries in the Texas summer for $3/hour or get $100/week from unemployment? 
Would you want to work at a cash register for 9 hours day with no benefits, getting yourself barely enough money to keep your stomach from growling if there was an alternative?

Hobbies and community service is not viewed as work by people who perform such things.

Playing the guitar =/= work for me.

I am not good enough to get paid doing it though.
My hobbies include computer stuff.
My job: computer stuff.
My hobbies are also my job.  Aka: work.

But its still work.  Whether you view it that way or not.

For most people work = slavery.
So what you're saying is that its only "real work" if you are over worked and paid so badly that you can barely survive, let alone live.  Good to know.  Guess you don't "work", do you?

If you want those things, you should put in the work required to get those things.

You cannot blame some other entity for not doing the work required to get those things.
Great in theory but ya gotta spend money to make money.  School costs money.  Food costs money.  And if you want either, you need a job.  But only an unskilled job since you have no education or experience.  Which pays too low to really go to school.  Not without outside support.  And thats the issue at heart: if your life sucks before your an adult, its very hard to get it not to suck as an adult.

Answer me this: did you pay for school and rent of your own apartment all on your own?  No support from anyone?  Did you even go to school?  Did your parents help you in any way?  Friends or other family?  Or are you a self made man who got great success without any help? 

Oh and my favorite past time is playing video games and roleplaying.  I just don't have the time for it as much as I would want.

Not my desires at all.

I know damn well the government is not inclined to take care of me.

People like you they will take care of.
Nope.  The government isn't taking care of me.  I make too much money.  Nor do I want them to care for me, I don't need it. (Tho the national health care is nice, even if I haven't used it yet)
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Rama Set

« Reply #311 on: May 11, 2021, 04:02:38 PM »
Also, the government redistributing your tax dollars is not “being supported”.

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 11, 2021, 05:05:29 PM »

I am not most people.

I work every day.

Hmm. I'm trying to square this away with your claim that you wouldn't work if the government paid you to do nothing. I assume you recognize that you wouldn't be able to afford all those things on the government till.
Actually, in the past year and one-half, I would be able to afford to live much the same as I do now, due to Covid. The reason I did not is due to the fact that type of government support would be all dried up now.

But for many in the country, it hasn't.

And if they are capable of living as I am currently (even better, in most instances), then yeah, they are not going to work.
So you felt it important to work hard to get those things, but if the government was paying you the bare minimum to survive you wouldn't have and would have just been content sitting home, doing nothing and owning nothing of value?  ???

That's just weird. Again I don't think most people feel the same way.
See, I don't view the things I have as important and that is the difference.

I do what I want to do and get what I want to get.

Just living and breathing and if it all ended tomorrow, then so be it.

Value is in the eye of the beholder, as is all things.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 05:31:43 PM by Action80 »

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 11, 2021, 05:08:42 PM »
This is you projecting.  It is not reality.  Unemployed people want to work.  But if unemployment is higher than the the shitty job you had, why would you want to go back to it?
Because "Unemployed people want to work" remember what you just wrote?

Jesus H. Christ...

See, most people also view their jobs as "shit jobs," as you put it, because most people are fucked in the head and cannot put together two thoughts in a row that make sense, much like your example here.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 05:31:26 PM by Action80 »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 13, 2021, 09:28:32 AM »
Because "Unemployed people want to work" remember what you just wrote?

Jesus H. Christ...

See, most people also view their jobs as "shit jobs," as you put it, because most people are fucked in the head and cannot put together two thoughts in a row that make sense, much like your example here.

Yes, because "want to work" means they'll take anything. /Sarcasm/... I want to eat pie.  Doesn't mean I'm going to eat any pie offered to me.  Like if someone bakes me a shit pie, or a Pumpkin Pie, I'm not eating it.

And if most people (in america) think their job is shitty, maybe the problem is the job culture, and not that people are lazy.

And note: your entire argument is based on the people who make more on unemployment than their barista or customer service jobs.  And again: that speaks volumes of the problem. 

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #315 on: May 13, 2021, 05:39:05 PM »
And if they are capable of living as I am currently (even better, in most instances), then yeah, they are not going to work.

I think I have the numbers right:

The max amount you can get is $450 per week of unemployment for usually 26 weeks (Some states are lower, like Missouri is 13 weeks). And that’s the max amount based upon your previous years income. And the max amount varies by State. For instance, California max is $450, Arizona’s is $240, Kentucky’s is $552. So I’m using the rough average max for this, $450.

That’s a total of $11,700.00 ($450 X 26 weeks, 1/2 a year)

Covid has extended the 26 weeks to 39 weeks and added a $300 additional benefit for up to 11 weeks.

So the max would be $450 + 300 for 11 weeks + $450 for 28 weeks for a total of: $8250 + $12600 = $20,850.00

Are you saying you make less than $20k for 3/4 of a year and the unemployed with these benefits are making more than you?

« Reply #316 on: May 13, 2021, 05:53:29 PM »

I think I have the numbers right:

The max amount you can get is $450 per week of unemployment for usually 26 weeks (Some states are lower, like Missouri is 13 weeks). And that’s the max amount based upon your previous years income. And the max amount varies by State. For instance, California max is $450, Arizona’s is $240, Kentucky’s is $552. So I’m using the rough average max for this, $450.

That’s a total of $11,700.00 ($450 X 26 weeks, 1/2 a year)

Covid has extended the 26 weeks to 39 weeks and added a $300 additional benefit for up to 11 weeks.

So the max would be $450 + 300 for 11 weeks + $450 for 28 weeks for a total of: $8250 + $12600 = $20,850.00

Are you saying you make less than $20k for 3/4 of a year and the unemployed with these benefits are making more than you?

Source on those numbers?

« Reply #317 on: May 19, 2021, 02:27:19 AM »
Despite my pedantry in the "Trump" thread regarding voter fraud stuff, I really am not a fan of Biden in the least.

I disliked Trump, and I dislike Biden (for mostly different reasons, but some similar ones).

It's really lame, however, how fawningly gross the media is to him. Had the below interaction been uttered by Trump, it would have created a 48 hour period in which virtually every mainstream news outlet would vociferously condemn him:

Is it really that funny for Biden to pretend he'll run over a female reporter because she asks a question about a major geopolitical event in a historically important region of the world (to the US) ?

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 19, 2021, 04:47:46 AM »
If you need a real reason to dislike Joe Biden then look no further at his fecklessness regarding the current situation in Israel.

Rama Set

« Reply #319 on: May 19, 2021, 10:37:00 AM »
If you need a real reason to dislike Joe Biden then look no further at his fecklessness regarding the current situation in Israel.

Yeah, just another American president propping up shitty foreign governments for geo-political gain. Most of his policy has been pandering to the left, but I don’t really care if they are good policies.