Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: The Windows 10 thread
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2015, 02:35:02 PM »
I still can't find any compelling reason to upgrade to Windows 10 from my current Windows 7 setup. The UI still looks like a big step in the wrong direction.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2015, 06:28:19 PM »
Very happy with Windows 10 so far. I've only been using it for a couple hours now, but I haven't had any problems and it seems to run better than 8.1 was. Plus damn Cortana is a nice implementation. I've been loving Google Now on my phone, so being able to have a (slightly worse) version for my computer is nice. I just wish they'd allow Cortana to integrate with Firefox/Chrome as well as she does Edge (which is a step up from IE, but still not very good). I just wish she was half as good at contextual questions/commands as Google Now is. If I'm not super specific about some things, she'll just search what I said instead of figuring out what I meant like Google Now does.

But still, step up from Windows 8.1. I like the look, too.

How does it compare with OpenBSD, in your opinion?
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2015, 06:29:47 PM »
Well, I can use it, so
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2015, 04:49:10 PM »
Apparently M$ thinks that Win10 is so good that they'll upgrade you for free whether you actually want it or not:
MICROSOFT HAS CONFIRMED that Windows 10 is being downloaded to computers whether or not users have opted in.

An INQUIRER reader pointed out to us that, despite not having 'reserved' a copy of Windows 10, he had found that the ~BT folder, which has been the home of images of the new operating system since before rollout began, had appeared on his system. He had no plans to upgrade and had not put in a reservation request.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2015, 05:26:31 PM »
Apparently M$ thinks that Win10 is so good that they'll upgrade you for free whether you actually want it or not:
MICROSOFT HAS CONFIRMED that Windows 10 is being downloaded to computers whether or not users have opted in.

An INQUIRER reader pointed out to us that, despite not having 'reserved' a copy of Windows 10, he had found that the ~BT folder, which has been the home of images of the new operating system since before rollout began, had appeared on his system. He had no plans to upgrade and had not put in a reservation request.

I still find it astounding that people use black-box operating systems and then act surprised when their computer does something they don't want. If you're using software you can't inspect, you've implicitly agreed to someone else making choices for you.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Thork

« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2015, 07:32:41 PM »

I still find it astounding that people use black-box operating systems and then act surprised when their computer does something they don't want. If you're using software you can't inspect, you've implicitly agreed to someone else making choices for you.
Do you inspect the aircraft before you go on holiday or do you trust the manufacturer to have made a product that just works?

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2015, 08:05:29 AM »
Do you inspect the aircraft before you go on holiday or do you trust the manufacturer to have made a product that just works?

The latter. That's why I don't complain about the way they choose to maintain the aircraft.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2015, 08:11:33 AM »
If this was Mortal Kombat, that would have been a fatality.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2015, 12:22:31 PM »
I would expect the airline company to inspect and maintain the aircraft.  However, I would not expect General Motors to come to my house in the middle of the night and try to upgrade my car to a pickup truck without my consent.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

Thork

« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2015, 12:51:55 PM »
I would expect the airline company to inspect and maintain the aircraft.  However, I would not expect General Motors to come to my house in the middle of the night and try to upgrade my car to a pickup truck without my consent.
What if they upgraded your Chevrolet Spark to a Chevrolet Camaro? Would you still be moaning? Microsoft are trying to do just that for you. So ungrateful.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2015, 01:29:14 PM »
What if they upgraded your Chevrolet Spark to a Chevrolet Camaro? Would you still be moaning? Microsoft are trying to do just that for you. So ungrateful.
A Chevrolet Camaro full of hidden cameras, microphones, GPS tracker and who knows what else.
The Mastery.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2015, 05:50:43 PM »
What if I can't afford the gas and insurance for the Camaro?  Besides, they upgraded the body and trim, but not the engine.  You try running a Camaro on a Spark's 1.2L engine.

Offline Misero

• Evidence, Evidence, Evidence, and more Evidence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2015, 01:38:49 PM »
The lag on that OS is real. It may be my CPU, but I have almost completely switched to my Kubuntu laptop(From 2007) and I get a faster OS.
Either HP or Microsoft really screwed up.
Nobody should ever follow my standard.  I am the worst moderator ever.
Yes, I'll still keep that in mind on this forum too.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2015, 03:45:15 PM »
Kubuntu
You seem to care about not wasting system resources, and yet you use KDE. What the fuck?
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2015, 03:54:22 PM »
I now run on Windows 10 instead of Windows 7 for that sweet, sweet DirectX 12. Other than some driver compatibility hiccups, I haven't noticed any big changes, performance or otherwise.

Offline Misero

• Evidence, Evidence, Evidence, and more Evidence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2015, 10:35:14 PM »
True. My only point was it was better.
Screw me for not thinking about it at the time.
Nobody should ever follow my standard.  I am the worst moderator ever.
Yes, I'll still keep that in mind on this forum too.

Offline Vongeo

• I don't get it either
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2015, 09:44:52 PM »
I just upgraded from 8 which was terrible. There is absolutely nothing in "life at a glance" that I use, and it won't accept that my default browser should be chrome, but it's a lot better than 8 so far.
Maple syrup was a kind of candy, made from the blood of trees.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2016, 05:01:39 PM »
Apparently Microsoft hasn't given up on the pushy upgrade pop-ups yet.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2016, 07:50:20 PM »
They really have outdone themselves with the upgrade notices that are basically malware at this point. Also, anecdotes of machines upgrading without user interaction. There's a simple fix to avoid this, but it doesn't take away from the fact that an upgrade should be an opt-in, not a "we are going to harass you forever even if you ignore us" method.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2016, 09:26:41 PM »
They really have outdone themselves with the upgrade notices that are basically malware at this point. Also, anecdotes of machines upgrading without user interaction. There's a simple fix to avoid this, but it doesn't take away from the fact that an upgrade should be an opt-in, not a "we are going to harass you forever even if you ignore us" method.

In their defense, if it's not brain dead stupid obvious, there WILL be someone who gets upset when they have to BUY the upgrade.

Plus, spyware, government kickbacks, etc...
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.