Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Episode IX
« on: April 12, 2019, 07:10:28 PM »
I just watched the trailer. I think I have forgotten everything that has happened up to this point. The trailer didn't make a lot of sense.

Offline Cain

• This is the line of division.
    • View Profile
Re: Episode IX
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 08:18:49 PM »
Looks ok I guess.
You just made my list, buddy.  >:(
this world does not have room for another mind as intelligent as yours.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 11:49:00 PM »
Not hyped at all. The sequels are a narrative mess.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 01:45:08 AM »
The name is horrible. And J.J. Abrams is directing. Not a good sign, any.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 04:07:05 AM »
Okay, I guess I'll be the one to post it:

It is just a teaser, to be fair. But I have questions. What the hell is up with that title? It sounds awkward and clunky, and the Skywalkers have already been directly or indirectly the focus of pretty much the entire film series up until now. There's nothing for them to "rise" to. They have already risen. They should be declining at this point. Let the franchise be about other things already. Move on. I'm worried that this is going to lead into some dumb twist about one or more characters turning out to be Skywalkers all along, which wouldn't have been a concern of mine if not for the fact that Abrams is at the helm. He's not a bad director, but it's impossible to ignore his weakness for pandering, fanservice, and prioritizing crowd-pleasing spectacle over substantive story. For better or worse, TLJ took the series to new ground, something that ought to be explored further, and I feel like Abrams is the kind of guy who'd look at that and see something to be course-corrected. Palpatine laughing at the end especially rubs me the wrong way. If it's a flashback or a recording or something, fine, but he had better not turn out to be still alive or show up as a clone or whatever.

It could be worse, though. They could have let Colin Trevorrow direct as originally planned.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 09:34:14 PM »
So much for leaving the past in the past. What a meme

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 11:30:47 PM »
\ Palpatine laughing at the end especially rubs me the wrong way. If it's a flashback or a recording or something, fine, but he had better not turn out to be still alive or show up as a clone or whatever.

Oof, looks like he's really back.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2019/04/12/j-j-abrams-confirms-emperor-returns-in-star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker/
We are smarter than those scientists.
I see multiple contradicting explanations. You guys should have a pow-wow and figure out how your model works.

Rama Set

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 01:33:35 AM »
JJ tryin to fix all the dumb shit that happened in Ep 8 and do service to the fan boys while adding a twist. Bound to be shit.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 10:04:22 AM »
Eh, if Yoda, Ben, and Anakin can be force ghosts, why not Palpatine? 

Also, remember that Anakin Skywalker was the son of a slave mother and a daddy who didn't exist or was the force so who knows on that.  Rey could be related distsntly or something to Luke. My grandfather was Anakin's half-brother kinda thing.

Or Skywalker is just a title given to the one who brings balance to the force. 

But, looks good so far, aside from the giant "RotJ" vibe.  Guess JJ is just gonna remake it.  Like he did with force awakens.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Rama Set

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 01:52:17 PM »
Ben Solo is also half skywalker.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 04:17:52 AM »

Also, remember that Anakin Skywalker was the son of a slave mother and a daddy who didn't exist or was the force so who knows on that.  Rey could be related distsntly or something to Luke. My grandfather was Anakin's half-brother kinda thing.

I enjoy discussing lore lore lore as much as the next person, but pointing to canon is not a justification for poor artistic decisions. Palpatine shouldn't return because as a character, he is done and dusted. He was the overarching villain of the first six movies, and now he's all played out. We saw his rise, we saw him at his prime, we saw his defeat in a strong cathartic moment, and that's all we need. The current saga is doing just fine with Kylo as the new main villain - someone who is nothing like Palpatine and has a very different dynamic with the hero. It's good to be doing something different. We don't need to see Abrams give us something that the first three movies have already done better.

Regarding the relations, I'll need to assume a bit about what's coming up, but we've already had six movies emphasizing the importance of prophecy, destiny, and heredity. TLJ established Rey as someone who genuinely came from nothing and was ready to make her own destiny. That's different, and it's good that it's different. There's no reason to go back to doing what the first trilogy already did when there's no chance of doing it better.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 02:12:03 AM by honk »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2019, 06:22:50 AM »

I enjoy discussing lore lore lore as much as the next person, but pointing to canon is not a justification for poor artistic decisions. Palpatine shouldn't return because as a character, he is done and dusted. He was the overarching villain of the first six movies, and now he's all played out. We saw his rise, we saw him at his prime, we saw his defeat in a strong cathartic moment, and that's all we need. The current saga is doing just fine with Kylo as the new main villain - someone who is nothing like Palpatine and has a very different dynamic with the hero. It's good to be doing something different. We don't need to see Abrams give us something that the first three movies have already done better.

Regarding the relations, I'll need to assume a bit about what's coming up, but we've already had six movies emphasizing the importance of prophecy, destiny, and heredity. TLJ established Rey as someone who genuinely came from nothing and making her own destiny. That's different, and it's good that it's different. There's no reason to go back to doing what the first trilogy already did when there's no chance of doing it better.

I don't disagree.  Kylo is a good main villian.  He's the evil Anakin we all would have wanted.  And Palpatine doesn't need to come back.  They can have him haunt the deathstar and show up as a creepy ghost just to be brushed aside and ignored, that woukd be fine.

Also:
RotS (Sith)
RotJ (Jedi)
RotS (Skywalker)
I see a pattern.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Rama Set

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2019, 10:49:06 AM »

Without knowing what they are doing the character you are just talking out of your ass.  I am dubious, but to say there is no world where the return of Palpatine doesn't work is just close-minded and over-reaching.

Regarding the relations, I'll need to assume a bit about what's coming up, but we've already had six movies emphasizing the importance of prophecy, destiny, and heredity. TLJ established Rey as someone who genuinely came from nothing and making her own destiny. That's different, and it's good that it's different. There's no reason to go back to doing what the first trilogy already did when there's no chance of doing it better.

The dark side told her she came from nothing.  We don't know if its the actual truth.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2019, 10:43:11 PM »
Without knowing what they are doing the character you are just talking out of your ass.  I am dubious, but to say there is no world where the return of Palpatine doesn't work is just close-minded and over-reaching.

Such is the point of speculation. It's okay to speculate without tacking on "in my opinion" or "though it's potentially possible to do right maybe".

The dark side told her she came from nothing.  We don't know if its the actual truth.

I think it's best that she be of inconsequential parentage. The whole "chosen one" schtick is played out too much in this series, and having a character make their own destiny would be far more interesting at this point. In my opinion. Though it's potentially possible to do right maybe.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2019, 03:12:57 AM »
Rey's mother is Leia and her father is Luke.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2019, 09:51:11 AM »
Rey's mother is Leia and her father is Luke.

Or or or...

Rey has no parents.  She spontaniously appeared from nothing.

Rama Set

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2019, 03:33:43 PM »

Such is the point of speculation. It's okay to speculate without tacking on "in my opinion" or "though it's potentially possible to do right maybe".

I don’t know how “Palpatine shouldn’t return...” can be construed as speculation. It sounds more like his personal preference. If he only wants the movies to play out in a way that he thinks is correct, that’s cool for him.

I think it's best that she be of inconsequential parentage. The whole "chosen one" schtick is played out too much in this series, and having a character make their own destiny would be far more interesting at this point. In my opinion. Though it's potentially possible to do right maybe.
I thought that was the most interesting part of the Last Jedi and Rey’s relationship with Kylo Ren: that he proposed a blank slate to her. No more destiny, no holding on to past forms. It could be a great way to introduce the idea of grey Jedi to canon.

Inb4 Rey is the child of midichlorians

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2019, 02:10:14 AM »

Saying something "doesn't work" is vague. Rehashing Palpatine could be handled well and it could be handled poorly, but it remains a bad idea either way, and it's perfectly fair to criticize it for being a bad idea without knowing how well it'll be executed. It wouldn't change my mind on this. For example, Abrams sticking so closely to the storyline and character archetypes of ANH was easily TFA's biggest flaw, and yet I recognize that it was all executed about as well as it reasonably could have been. It was still a bad idea that the movie would have been better off without.

I don’t know how “Palpatine shouldn’t return...” can be construed as speculation. It sounds more like his personal preference. If he only wants the movies to play out in a way that he thinks is correct, that’s cool for him.

Yes. The opinions and preferences I am sharing in this thread are in fact my own.

Rama Set

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2019, 02:34:51 PM »
It’s not a bad idea, it’s an idea you don’t like. You not liking an idea says nothing about it’s value. Avenger: Infinity War managed to bring back Red Skull in an interesting way without overemphasizing him because he already had a complete journey. Something like that could work.

The journey in to the underworld is extremely fertile mythological ground and it would be not only simple but could also be effective to see the spirit of Palpatine in that context. If they try to have him actually come back as a living, corporeal creature I doubt it could work but the beauty of film making is that a lot of things can be imagined.

Offline WellRoundedIndividual

• Proverbs 13:20 is extremely relevant today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2019, 02:50:25 PM »
I wonder if they are going to do a Force Vision with Palpatine or whatever like Luke had with Vader in the swamps of Dagoba.
BobLawBlah.