Offline Action80

• View Profile
Re: Comprehensive explanation for sunsets
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2022, 05:35:08 PM »

I honestly am not sure what we are arguing about.

All I am saying is that when Tron used a solid glass dome shaped object to perform an experiment, that the solid glass wouldn't be an accurate representation of our atmosphere (the atmoplane). We don't live in and breath in solid glass.

If Tron wanted to redo the experiment and simulate it via a physical dome to simulate his firmament, than his firmament dome could be like a thin glass shell vs. being totally filled in with glass.

Again, am not sure what we are arguing about.
The sun is being reflected by (or is actually placed inside) the dome.
To be honest I am getting pretty bored of this place.

Offline GoldCashew

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2022, 06:28:11 PM »

I honestly am not sure what we are arguing about.

All I am saying is that when Tron used a solid glass dome shaped object to perform an experiment, that the solid glass wouldn't be an accurate representation of our atmosphere (the atmoplane). We don't live in and breath in solid glass.

If Tron wanted to redo the experiment and simulate it via a physical dome to simulate his firmament, than his firmament dome could be like a thin glass shell vs. being totally filled in with glass.

Again, am not sure what we are arguing about.
The sun is being reflected by (or is actually placed inside) the dome.

That's good.... I'm glad I recommended to Tron to not fill the inside of the dome with solid glass otherwise a small spotlight sun wouldn't be able to exist or move.

Tron was performing his simulation with the spotlight sun outside of the dome. If he is reading this, he could perhaps also include performing his simulation with a small spotlight sun inside of the dome.

Offline Tron

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2022, 10:47:15 PM »
I might play with a glass bowl and put the sun above and below it but for now the glass atmodome is the best I have.

I'll try to fill a dome with water and record the lighting effects.  Someday I'll stick a GoPro in there and record the results. 

The most accurate experiment is to fill a dome with air and bring it to space and compare it to the vacuum of space.   ;D
From the surface Earth looks flat.  From space Earth looks round.  Now what?

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2022, 02:03:27 AM »
I might play with a glass bowl and put the sun above and below it but for now the glass atmodome is the best I have.

I'll try to fill a dome with water and record the lighting effects.  Someday I'll stick a GoPro in there and record the results. 

The most accurate experiment is to fill a dome with air and bring it to space and compare it to the vacuum of space.   ;D

Just as a solid paperweight doesn't really simulate the atmosphere (we all would be crushed), I'm thinking that bowl of water wouldn't necessarily either (we'd all drown).

Now if you can get your contraption up in to space, that might be interesting.

Offline MCToon

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2022, 08:28:19 PM »

There was someone that used a double-walled bowl filled with water.   Essentially it became a water "atmodome" with air on the inside.  I cannot recall the person.  I do recall it didn't work.
I love this site, it's a fantastic collection of evidence of a spherical earth:
Flight times
Full moon
Horizon eye level drops
Sinking ship effect

Offline Tron

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2022, 08:49:18 PM »
The dome ideally would have to mimic the atmosphere of a spherical Earth as we know it.  A 'hidden' firmament may exist but I don't think it's 100% necessary to allow astral observations.   The center of a flat Earth would have higher then normal atmosphere height (to make a dome shape) but current estimates seem to allow from 50 to 400 miles in height variation guesses for some layers of the atmosphere so I can't rule this out yet.

How can we make a model of a round Earth and it's atmosphere to study?

How can we make a flat Earth model with an atmosphere to study?   

Magnetism, friction, or gravity may hold the atmosphere to the surface.   How to make a model of this and perhaps test it in a vacuum chamber is beyond me.
From the surface Earth looks flat.  From space Earth looks round.  Now what?

Offline MCToon

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2022, 07:13:20 PM »
Provide the constants used in the math you performed for perspective.

The video is out.

On the December solstice, the angular elevation of the sun was 22.5° at local solar noon.  Milleapolis is at 45°N Lattiude.  That's 4,723 statute miles from the Tropic of Capricorn.  Solving the triangle puts the sun at 1,956 miles high.

On the same day, 12 hours later the sun is still over the Tropic of Capricorn, moved 180 degrees of longitude.  This puts the sun 10,937 miles due north of Minneapolis on the AE map.  Taking the sun to be at the same elevation and solving the triangle, the flat earth angular height of the sun must be 10.14°.

If this is the wrong way, show the correct way.  Note that in the video I provided a real-world example using the same method to measure the height of a physical object.  If I did this wrong, show the right way with a real-world example applying your method.
I love this site, it's a fantastic collection of evidence of a spherical earth:
Flight times
Full moon
Horizon eye level drops
Sinking ship effect