Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Re: Flat Earth - Why Now?
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2019, 06:11:54 AM »
FE is gaining popularity because truth eventually prevails.

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2019, 02:35:24 PM »

Lol, so popularity of a theory is directly linked to how true it is? Spontaneous generation was a popular theory for thousands of years, by your logic it was totally true.
We are smarter than those scientists.
I see multiple contradicting explanations. You guys should have a pow-wow and figure out how your model works.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2019, 02:56:43 PM »

Lol, so popularity of a theory is directly linked to how true it is? Spontaneous generation was a popular theory for thousands of years, by your logic it was totally true.

Tom didn't say it's true because it's popular, he said it's becoming popular because it's true. Please take the time to learn how the English language works.

Offline QED

• As mad as a hatter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2019, 11:14:18 AM »

Tom didn't say it's true because it's popular, he said it's becoming popular because it's true. Please take the time to learn how the English language works.

Well, to be fair, Bastian didn’t state that Tom said this. The logical import of Bastian’s reply was that the existence of a correlation between popularity and truth is not an indication of a theory’s truth value. In effect, he notes that untrue theories also gain popularity. Tom implied a correlation exists, and even stated the causal direction by assuming the antecedent.
The fact.that it's an old equation without good.demonstration of the underlying mechamism behind it makes.it more invalid, not more valid!

- Tom Bishop

We try to represent FET in a model-agnostic way

- Pete Svarrior

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2019, 12:49:29 PM »

Well, to be fair, Bastian didn’t state that Tom said this. The logical import of Bastian’s reply was that the existence of a correlation between popularity and truth is not an indication of a theory’s truth value. In effect, he notes that untrue theories also gain popularity. Tom implied a correlation exists, and even stated the causal direction by assuming the antecedent.

I didn't say that the poster said Tom said that. I just said "Tom didn't say that". See how this mindless pedantic argument works? Try again.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 12:51:38 PM by Rushy »

Offline Cain

• This is the line of division.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2019, 02:00:39 PM »
I knew people like to twist Tom's words around, but goddamn.
Ya'll bein' pedantic pieces of shit.
You just made my list, buddy.  >:(
this world does not have room for another mind as intelligent as yours.

SeaCritique

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2019, 02:01:32 PM »
My flat Earth-discussion thread, mostly about why it's increasing in popularity now, has spent more time discussing Canadian immigration and pedantic arguments than that.

Offline Cain

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2019, 02:07:11 PM »
My flat Earth-discussion thread, mostly about why it's increasing in popularity now, has spent more time discussing Canadian immigration and pedantic arguments than that.
Huh. Go figure.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2019, 02:48:52 PM »

Stop being you so much. Or at least keep it in CN/AR.

Warned.

Offline QED

• As mad as a hatter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2019, 04:02:17 PM »

I didn't say that the poster said Tom said that. I just said "Tom didn't say that". See how this mindless pedantic argument works? Try again.

Tom also didn’t say that the ratio of Schrute-bucks to Stanly-nickels is the same as the ratio of unicorns to leprechauns. But there is no point in stating this, because it has nothing to do with Bastian’s reply. You obviously intended to imply what the poster was stating, and whether you did so with a positive or negative is irrelevant to the logical import.

Further, if you find my distillation to the logical basis to be pedantic, then so too is your initial reply to Bastian. Just less precise.

There’s no need to take it personal or get butt-hurt about it. That type of behaviour is beneath you, Rushy, and not indicative of the esteem I have for you.

The fact.that it's an old equation without good.demonstration of the underlying mechamism behind it makes.it more invalid, not more valid!

- Tom Bishop

We try to represent FET in a model-agnostic way

- Pete Svarrior

Offline Cain

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2019, 05:29:05 PM »

Stop being you so much. Or at least keep it in CN/AR.

Warned.
If only.