Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #480 on: August 16, 2017, 04:59:46 AM »
fuck that episode was dope as fuck af

The white walkers are going to win.

nope

This is Game of Thrones, not Lord of the Rings.

You have to admit that Game of Thrones has always had a general "good guy wins" vibe to it. There's a lot of bad things happening to good people, and sometimes the villain gets away with it, but ultimately the "good" tends to win out despite the odds.

They set it up to make it look like the good guys are going to win, and then do a red wedding. I think it's going to end with some of the major characters becoming sentient white walkers/undead (like Benjen), and then they control the armies of the undead as Westeros is forced to rebuild.

Also, one question I have is: are the show's creators working with Georgo to make sure the show plot lines up with what will be in the final book, or are there going to be two separate storylines?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 05:04:43 AM by Hollocron »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: August 16, 2017, 12:47:07 PM »
The Red Wedding happened because Rob stopped being the "good guy", he made several immoral or just plain stupid mistakes in a row and effectively got himself killed. It doesn't go against the "good guy vibe" of the show.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #482 on: August 16, 2017, 01:58:53 PM »
Jon Snow is not fire proof.

You don't know this for sure, unless he got burned or something and I don't remember it.

Also, the "Jaime kills Cersei" path might not happen because Cersei is prego. I mean it's possible he'll kill her anyway, she's nuts, afterall.
Jon burnt his hand when he was fighting the wight at Castle Black. GRRM himself said not all Targaryens are immune to fire. Which sure, might not be true in the show, but Jon has already been burnt so.

Also, I really really really doubt she's pregnant. I think it's entirely possible she could see she was losing Jaime and made it up. Plus, she only has 3 children based on that gypsy woman's prophecy for her which they did portray in the show so I doubt they'll just throw it out.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #483 on: August 16, 2017, 02:00:56 PM »
The Red Wedding happened because Rob stopped being the "good guy", he made several immoral or just plain stupid mistakes in a row and effectively got himself killed. It doesn't go against the "good guy vibe" of the show.
Yes. It really really does. His immoral choice was marrying someone he wasn't supposed to? C'mon.

Many good people have been killed in the show. This isn't a child's cartoon, it's not strict on those rules.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: August 16, 2017, 07:41:13 PM »
The next episode just leaked. It was good overall, and without spoiling anything, it confirms one of the more infamous leaks from last year. The biggest problem is Arya. Her stupid grudge against Sansa makes no sense, and neither does her continued creepy, threatening behavior.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Rama Set

« Reply #485 on: August 17, 2017, 02:17:08 AM »
Anyone know where I can stream this "Game of Thrones" I have been hearing so much about?

Offline Boots

• ---- Cogito, ergo sum. ---- -Descartes
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: August 17, 2017, 04:36:08 AM »
Anyone know where I can stream this "Game of Thrones" I have been hearing so much about?

I would like to know as well. Youtube and google play have seasons 1-6 and season 7 will be available in Sept. But I want it now!
“There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them.” - George Orwell

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: August 17, 2017, 04:57:18 AM »
This is book lore and has very little impact on show lore.

Well, yeah, of course it's book lore. You've seen the show; you know just as much show lore as we do. But yes, they could change how this works, just like how they changed the Faceless Men to be totally cool with Arya abusing their training and what they see as an important religious duty for her own agenda. I'm not sure why they'd bother in this case, though.

That being said, upon reviewing the (book) lore, I've discovered that I'm giving the dragonlords too much credit. There are a few historical cases of people with no Valyrian lineage who have managed to tame wild dragons. And the dragonlords generally raised and trained their dragons from a very young age - and even then only getting mixed results. It's most likely just mundane animal training, not any kind of magical bond.

That is ridiculous. Robb's death, just like Ned's, was shocking and effective precisely because he was so noble. Their fatal errors lay in their judgment, not their character.

Also, one question I have is: are the show's creators working with Georgo to make sure the show plot lines up with what will be in the final book, or are there going to be two separate storylines?

There are already two separate storylines. The creators have said that they know roughly how the books will end and want to match them up by the conclusion, but I doubt that will happen.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #488 on: August 17, 2017, 02:14:41 PM »
The next episode just leaked. It was good overall, and without spoiling anything, it confirms one of the more infamous leaks from last year. The biggest problem is Arya. Her stupid grudge against Sansa makes no sense, and neither does her continued creepy, threatening behavior.
Arya is being a stupid smug bitch this season. I'm glad Littlefinger is manipulating her.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: August 18, 2017, 04:02:34 AM »
Yes. It really really does. His immoral choice was marrying someone he wasn't supposed to? C'mon.

Many good people have been killed in the show. This isn't a child's cartoon, it's not strict on those rules.

The show always killed people after they made some kind of stupid immoral choice. e.g. it killed Ned when he decided to try and circumvent the law with money which got him killed. The only people who do bad things in the show and get away with it are people are pretty much bad 24/7. The good guys that go down a dark path get whacked within a few episodes.

Arya is being a stupid smug bitch this season. I'm glad Littlefinger is manipulating her.

Arya was always that way, and pretty much always had a massive dislike of Sansa, it seems that every has forgotten what Arya was actually like because she spent the past few seasons joining the Assassins and fighting the Templar.

That is ridiculous. Robb's death, just like Ned's, was shocking and effective precisely because he was so noble. Their fatal errors lay in their judgment, not their character.

Robb was killed precisely because he stopped being so noble. He married some hot nobody just because she had great tits, completely ignoring his pledge to the Freys, then before that he beheaded the lord of the Karstarks for some menial bullshit that his mother advised against entirely (reminder that this is literally the same thing Joffrey did). Robb was going down a path of "do whatever the fuck I want" and discovered that it actually doesn't work that way.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 04:07:51 AM by Rushy »

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: August 18, 2017, 04:20:26 AM »
Why does her grudge against sansa make no sense,  from her perspective? 
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #491 on: August 18, 2017, 01:04:48 PM »
Robb was killed precisely because he stopped being so noble. He married some hot nobody just because she had great tits, completely ignoring his pledge to the Freys, then before that he beheaded the lord of the Karstarks for some menial bullshit that his mother advised against entirely (reminder that this is literally the same thing Joffrey did). Robb was going down a path of "do whatever the fuck I want" and discovered that it actually doesn't work that way.
Because the Karstarks betrayed them and the noble thing to do is to behead traitors.
That wasn't a "do whatever the fuck I want" move. That was justice for treason. Just like Jon had the mutineers hanged and beheaded Janos Slynt. Which is the same thing Ned did.

Honestly, Rushy. Your idea of morals in this world is so fucking off. Who do you think the most moral person on the show is? Missandei? Do you think she'll win?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: August 18, 2017, 02:47:42 PM »
Because the Karstarks betrayed them and the noble thing to do is to behead traitors.
That wasn't a "do whatever the fuck I want" move. That was justice for treason. Just like Jon had the mutineers hanged and beheaded Janos Slynt. Which is the same thing Ned did.

Joffrey beheaded Ned Stark for treason, but I don't think that was very noble, either. Robb made a one dimensional, immoral decision to behead a man for idiotic reasons. When he beheaded Lord Karstark, he caused the deaths of many more men.

Honestly, Rushy. Your idea of morals in this world is so fucking off. Who do you think the most moral person on the show is? Missandei? Do you think she'll win?

Yes, I need more Missandei fanfiction sloppily inserted into the show.

Anyway, I still think Littlefinger is going to win.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: August 19, 2017, 03:52:57 AM »
<Rushy> Saddam: robb wasn't actually very noble
<Saddam> He was a tragic hero in the Shakespearian tradition
<Rushy> he ignored his pledge to a lord and married some hot nobody just because she was hot
<Saddam> He married her because he loved her, you scrub
<Rushy> he also beheaded lord karstark for dumb reasons, basically mimicking what joffrey did
<Saddam> It's worse in the books
<Saddam> He marries a lady because he knocked her up
<Rushy> I think the mimicry of what joffrey did was pretty important in and of itself
<Saddam> He beheaded Karstark for murdering innocent children
<Saddam> If any crime deserves instant execution, it's that
<Rushy> it's still a dumb reason to execute the leader of your largest faction
<Saddam> And the option of keeping him alive was presented in the interests of political gain, not mercy
<Rushy> by executing him for his crimes, he caused the deaths of many more people
<Saddam> This illustrates Robb's tragic flaw
<Saddam> His lack of necessary political cunning
<Saddam> Just like his father
<Saddam> I'm not saying that everything he did was 100% right and what needed to be donw
<Saddam> done*
<Rushy> his father's mistake was just plain hilarious
<Rushy> telling cersei to her face "I know your kids are incest babies you should leave lol"
<Rushy> what a memester
<Saddam> They both follow the path of Brutus from Shakespeare's Julius Caesar
<Saddam> A noble man who can't set aside his sense of honor to do the smart thing
<Rushy> also everyone seems to have magically forgotten that Arya hates Sansa, but I guess without the books that isn't as obvious
<Saddam> Their hatred of each other was based in stupid, childish things
<Rushy> not without her reasons though, I mean Sansa really is a frigid bitch, the show seems to pad it a bit
<Saddam> Unless you're talking about the leaked episode - have you seen it yet?
<Rushy> no
<Saddam> Ah, then I shall say no more lest you swing the banhammer
<Rushy> indeed
<Saddam> Gendry swings the best hammer
<Saddam> Years of rowing have transformed him into a master of blunt weaponry
<Rushy> surprised that the show doesn't have more people using blunt weapons
<Rushy> everyone seems to use swords, which makes little sense, as swords are more expensive to produce and aren't useful against people wearing plate armor, which seems to be unnaturally common
<Rushy> nearly everyone has either plate or chainmail, and it's hilariously runescape levels of common across the continent
<Saddam> Armies typically distribute equipment to their soldiers
<Rushy> it's still too common in their world, this is one thing I liked more in Witcher, where armored opponents were genuinely more rare
<Rushy> metal refining, metal working, etc. in the time that GoT appears to exist in is atrociously expensive, the majority of an army would be leatherbound, with chainmail troops being your "elite" and then a few plated knights
<Rushy> instead, you have a meme where the entire lannister army has plate armor, which doesn't make sense, even considering that they're supposed to be very wealthy
<Rushy> very well crafted plate armor, mind you, not some generic mass produced iron plates that just strap to the chest
<Rushy> however they forgot to equip them with dragonbreath shields
<Rushy> what a noob mistake
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 09:15:16 PM by honk »

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #494 on: August 19, 2017, 09:36:40 PM »
OMG Rushy shut the fuck up.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #495 on: August 19, 2017, 09:38:30 PM »
Also, in the books - there's a line that Arya would love to see Sansa again.
So no, people didn't forget their relationship. But the show is forgetting that they both grew up out of their stupid sibling rivalries.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: August 20, 2017, 08:30:48 PM »
OMG Rushy shut the fuck up.

rude tbh

Do you not want more Missandei/Greyworm fanfiction?

"shit, we don't have anyone buttass naked at all in any of these episodes, what will we do? Ayy here's an idea, tell Nathalie Emmanuel her clothes are coming right off"

« Reply #497 on: August 20, 2017, 09:42:36 PM »
i think robb died to move the plot forward.  it wasn't a judgement about the morality of his decisions.  i don't think this series makes moral judgements in that way.  all of the characters are morally grey.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: August 21, 2017, 12:37:02 AM »
i think robb died to move the plot forward.  it wasn't a judgement about the morality of his decisions.  i don't think this series makes moral judgements in that way.  all of the characters are morally grey.

Some morals are more grey than others.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: August 21, 2017, 03:20:42 AM »
<Saddam> It's worse in the books
<Saddam> [Robb] marries a lady because he knocked her up

My mistake, he just banged her and felt that he ought to marry her afterward. She wasn't even pregnant. The books also take great pains to frame his marriage as being an incredibly stupid decision, as opposed to the show making him more sympathetic by giving him a genuine romance with an actual character. Also, Rushy is obviously trolling, stop feeding him.