Virgin Galactic
« on: December 05, 2013, 05:25:31 AM »
http://www.virgingalactic.com/news/item/nbcuniversal-announces-exclusive-partnership-with-sir-richard-bransons-virgin-galactic-to-televis/

It appears as if they are slated to have the first flight next year with Branson and his children.  I noticed an odd lack of clarity on when this flight will actually take place (even a rough prediction of next spring, summer, fall, etc.).  I think I smell another "delay" ahead which will require more money be thrown at it to overcome.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
Re: Virgin Galactic
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 05:44:52 AM »
This'll be interesting...not that it'll go anywhere definitive. Could be a marketing ploy, could be any number of things. Go figure the flight is him and his kids.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 05:58:05 AM »
Him, his kids, and NBC in what will turn out to be a heavily edited piece, given that it actually happens.  It's no doubt a marketing ploy though, possibly something to throw off the scent of lawsuits for defrauding people of their money.  A way of saying "Look, I'm actually using the money for what I said I'd use it for".

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 07:17:34 AM »
It has amazon postage drones written all over it.
I do hope that marketing idea comes true though. My air rifle hasn't been used in ages. I'd like to steal the electronics from one and turn it into a new rc toy for me!
Sadly we can't shoot at virgin galactic :( we will just have to wait and see if anything ever happens. If it does though would any images have any more value than weather balloon images? I highly doubt it.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 02:25:52 PM »
Him, his kids, and NBC in what will turn out to be a heavily edited piece, given that it actually happens.  It's no doubt a marketing ploy though, possibly something to throw off the scent of lawsuits for defrauding people of their money.  A way of saying "Look, I'm actually using the money for what I said I'd use it for".
Interesting.  I thought that them building VMS Eve and VSS Enterprise and test flying them were VG saying "Look, I'm actually using the money for what I said I'd use it for".
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 02:28:03 PM by markjo »
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 03:49:45 PM »
Who says they can't have multiple methods of that? I mean this guy has been stealing money for 9 years now, I'm sure some of his early investors are on his tail to produce something more than ideas and tests.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 09:30:25 PM »
How can you say that VG is "stealing money" when the deposits are 100% refundable?  I have a feeling that the R&D costs far exceed the total deposits collected.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 09:32:50 PM »
How can you say that VG is "stealing money" when the deposits are 100% refundable?

Because they can pile money into an interest-bearing account and profit off of something that won't ever see the light of day.  Even if they give the original deposit back.

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 09:47:37 PM »
If they continually have delays of whatever sort, they never have a reason to refund en masse and can funnel the money into interest bearing investments as junker has pointed out. 

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 12:47:07 AM »
How can you say that VG is "stealing money" when the deposits are 100% refundable?

Because they can pile money into an interest-bearing account and profit off of something that won't ever see the light of day.  Even if they give the original deposit back.
So the where are they getting the money to spend on R&D, construction and the test flight program for the mother ship and SpaceShip2 if all the money is going into the bank?

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 12:51:12 AM »
You realize that money goes both into and out of bank accounts right?

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 01:18:31 AM »
Also, I don't think NASA will ask for a refund.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 03:48:13 AM »
You realize that money goes both into and out of bank accounts right?
???  So VG isn't just holding onto the deposits to make interest?  Make up your mind, will you?

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 03:52:24 AM »
Where did I say they only deposit money into a bank to make interest?

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 04:07:30 AM »
Then what exactly are you trying to say that VG is doing with the deposits that constitutes "stealing money"?

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 04:12:21 AM »
Using the money for personal gain which was donated in good faith for the betterment of the company to achieve it's goal of space flight.  It isn't going to achieve this goal and is putting on a show so that it can funnel the remainder of its funds in investments.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2013, 04:19:06 AM »
And of course you have evidence to support your claims, don't you?

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 04:53:03 AM »
Not yet, I'm speculating at this point.  Unfortunately private companies are not privy to the public records requests that government entities are.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 02:31:58 PM »
Not yet, I'm speculating at this point. 
Since VG has built and is testing the hardware that they claim will be used for the flights and you have no evidence of any wrong doing, then would it not be prudent to give them the benefit of the doubt until you can provide some sort of evidence to the contrary?

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2013, 03:46:29 PM »
Considering they have been going at this for 9 years with only tests to show for it, I'd consider this to be evidence which leans toward something fishy going on.