Offline Pongo

• Most Educated Flat-Earther
  • Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars ep 7 (with spoilers)
« Reply #140 on: January 15, 2016, 03:11:14 AM »
On the notion of Snoke - I remember being really excited when I saw huge he was, and then disappointed when I realized that it was just a hologram.  I'd love for him to turn out to actually be that size when we finally see him in person, although I sadly doubt it.

>Preparing to criticize a movie years before it comes out.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 19, 2016, 05:21:04 PM »
Having finally seen this film, I wrote a review in Just Watched. Not gonna post it twice so here it is. If you want to discuss my review, do it in this thread instead of that one.

« Reply #142 on: January 19, 2016, 08:46:24 PM »
I think it was convenient that they just happen to blow up every planet in the solar system except for the one Leia was on.

I think she was in a different system.

Couldn't have been. Our nearest star system is 4 light years away. Even if the  system was 4 times closer (the distance from the sun to the Oort Cloud) It would still take a year for the explosions to be seen.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Rama Set

« Reply #143 on: January 19, 2016, 09:03:02 PM »
I think it was convenient that they just happen to blow up every planet in the solar system except for the one Leia was on.

I think she was in a different system.

Couldn't have been. Our nearest star system is 4 light years away. Even if the  system was 4 times closer (the distance from the sun to the Oort Cloud) It would still take a year for the explosions to be seen.

True, but I think the first shot blew up the planet and it's 4(?) moons.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 19, 2016, 09:32:55 PM »
Star Wars has always had a very skewed sense of distances. Realistically the starkiller base shots should take years to even find a target. But then again, ships can move between systems in hours at "light speed"...

I guess it's just one of those things you're not supposed to think about too much.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 20, 2016, 01:34:59 AM »
Star Wars has always had a very skewed sense of distances. Realistically the starkiller base shots should take years to even find a target. But then again, ships can move between systems in hours at "light speed"...

I guess it's just one of those things you're not supposed to think about too much.

They explained that.  It traveled via hyperspace.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 20, 2016, 09:02:04 AM »
I agree entirely with Blanko's review.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 20, 2016, 04:35:32 PM »
Star Wars has never been one for science, which is why it's actually fantasy.

« Reply #148 on: January 20, 2016, 09:26:52 PM »
They could have simply seen the beam go by (it was traveling FTL, so that's cool I suppose) and then one of the background characters could have informed Leia that they've lost contact with all the planets in X system, because FTL communication is a thing in Star Wars.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Thork

« Reply #149 on: January 21, 2016, 12:48:58 PM »
Star Wars VIII is now delayed until December 2017. :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35368146

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: January 21, 2016, 01:09:55 PM »
Star Wars VIII is now delayed until December 2017. :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35368146

The opening crawl for Episode VIII

"Two years after the destruction of Star Killer Base..."
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #151 on: January 21, 2016, 04:06:43 PM »
On the notion of Thork's nonsense from the other thread:

Disney had to go down the interracial relationship route. There isn't a single eligible white guy in the universe. Only a black guy is virtuous and loyal and would stand up to the empire and is worth the leading lady's attention. Fuck Disney.

While Finn is obviously into Rey (and who can blame him, amirite?), it's not like they had a romantic relationship in this movie.  They might later on in the series, but until that happens, complaining about this seems awfully premature.  Maybe Finn and Poe will have the relationship instead!  A gay interracial romance!

Rama Set

« Reply #152 on: January 21, 2016, 04:30:32 PM »
Thork can't stand when its not about the white guys.

Offline Pongo

• Most Educated Flat-Earther
  • Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 21, 2016, 04:58:30 PM »

Disney had to go down the interracial relationship route. There isn't a single eligible white guy in the universe. Only a black guy is virtuous and loyal and would stand up to the empire and is worth the leading lady's attention. Fuck Disney.

While Finn is obviously into Rey (and who can blame him, amirite?), it's not like they had a romantic relationship in this movie.  They might later on in the series, but until that happens, complaining about this seems awfully premature.  Maybe Finn and Poe will have the relationship instead!  A gay interracial romance!

omg, don't talk about gay people around Ghost Spaghetti or he'll remind us again about how many gay friends he has.

Thork

« Reply #154 on: January 22, 2016, 12:00:27 AM »

While Finn is obviously into Rey (and who can blame him, amirite?),
Depends on your taste in women. Bit horsey for me.

it's not like they had a romantic relationship in this movie.  They might later on in the series, but until that happens, complaining about this seems awfully premature.  Maybe Finn and Poe will have the relationship instead!  A gay interracial romance!
She kisses him before she leaves to find Luke at the end. I don't think star wars are going to be able to pull off this trick again.

There is no way they are even half-brother/sister.

No, we're stuck watching a black guy pawing a white girl again. If we are going to be all liberal about it, why doesn't she end up with Chewy? He's tall, strong, reliable, single, no kids, an eligible Batchelor, and nice to cuddle at night. Why can't she end up blowing the wookie at the end of star wars viii?

Rama Set

« Reply #155 on: January 22, 2016, 01:12:00 AM »
Better yet, why even treat a potential romance as a political issue at all?

« Reply #156 on: January 22, 2016, 02:24:45 AM »
it bothers me to see white women with niggers

i'd respect you more if you'd actually say what you mean.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #157 on: January 22, 2016, 03:57:25 AM »
Depends on your taste in women. Bit horsey for me.

She kisses him before she leaves to find Luke at the end.

She kissed his forehead.  It was affectionate, but not necessarily romantic.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 22, 2016, 07:04:26 AM »
She kissed his forehead.  It was affectionate, but not necessarily romantic.

Star Wars VIII: The Friend Zone

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 24, 2016, 05:15:53 PM »
Rey is a butch lesbo