Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
The Fall Out Boy discography listen-throughj
« on: December 30, 2014, 11:49:50 PM »
Fall Out Boy was not the band that got me "into" music, ever. I haven't listened to just pretty much any of their stuff in my life, so this time and next time, I'm going to do a complete listen-through of their material, in chronological order, and post a short review of each thing here.

"Chronological" is applied according to Wikipedia; I might be starting with their first release, or rather with their earliest released recording, stuff. Yep. I won't include any compilations, and I won't include Relics, because that's a Pink Floyd album.

I plan to finish with their most recent album, the last time the four members of Fall Out Boy ever released an album so far. Then I'll return when American Beauty/American Psycho gets released, to post a review of that.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
Re: The Fall Out Boy discography listen-throughj
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 12:10:19 AM »
What the heck am I reading?
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Ghost of V

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 12:11:00 AM »
Wow.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 12:11:06 AM »
What the heck am I reading?

Project Rocket / Fall Out Boy
Split EP (First half Project Rocket, second half Fall Out Boy)

Recorded: lol iunno
Released: 28 May 2002

Band lineup

Project Rocket
T.J. Minich
Andy Hurley
Kyle Johnson
Noah Nickel
Seth Lingebrigston/Ingebrigston

Fall Out Boy:
Patrick Stump (lead vocals, guitar)
Joe Trohman (backing vocals, guitar)
T.J. Kunasch (backing vocals, guitar)
Pete Wentz (backing vocals, bass)
Mike Pareskuwicz (drums, percussion)

All tracks authored by people, except where noted.

Project Rocket half

1. Formula for Love (2:31)
2. You Charlatan (3:14)
3. Someday (2:31)

Fall Out Boy half

4. Growing Up (2:53)
5. Switchblades and Infidelity (3:13)
6. Moving Pictures (3:33)

Review

I didn’t actually listen to the lyrics because I couldn’t find them after a very quick Google search and also the quality is what you’d expect from two shitty amateur bands recording a quick tape together so I could barely understand them anyway. That aside, though, feifiefe. I wasn’t sure what to expect but I didn’t expect good, which made this EP a pleasant surprise.

Project Rocket’s half is the weaker half, for sure, but it still has its moments and is definitely the lighter of the two. It’s also probably the sound you think of when you think of a generic rock band formed by a group of friends that is pretty alright at their instruments. It’s not bad—to be honest, to me there’s something enchanting about the sound of amateur musicians just having fun and just trying to make something they like—but it’s not great.

Fall Out Boy’s half is stronger than I had anticipated. It’s not the greatest, but it’s really good for a bunch of newbies. The last two tracks in particular, “Switchblades and Infidelity” and “Moving Pictures” have me rather excited to hear what they sound like when they know what they’re doing.

All-in-all a good listen.

Ghost of V

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 12:50:47 AM »
Wow

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 04:46:55 AM »
to be honest, to me there’s something enchanting about the sound of amateur musicians just having fun and just trying to make something they like

Jumbo Fucking Gumbo!
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 11:27:40 PM »
Fall Out Boy's Evening Out with Your Girlfriend
EP

Recorded: Sometime in the first chunk of 2002
Released: 25 March 2003

Band lineup

Patrick Stump (lead vocals)
Joe Trohman (backing vocals, lead guitar)
Pete Wentz (backing vocals, bass)
Mike Pareskuwicz (drums)

All tracks authored by Fall Out Boy, except where noted.

1. Honorable Mention (3:25)
2. Calm Before the Storm (4:41)
3. Switchblades and Infidelity (3:13)
4. Pretty in Punk (3:37)
5. Growing Up (2:56)
6. The World's Not Waiting (For Five Tired Boys in a Broken Down Van) (2:38)
7. Short, Fast and Loud (2:16)
8. Moving Pictures (3:33)
9. Parker Lewis Can't Lose (But I'm Gunna Give It My Best Shot) (3:23)

Review

Not a very remarkable EP. It’s pretty consistent with their style on Project Rocket / Fall Out Boy, but it turns out that style doesn’t hold up as well over the course of half an hour. I really don’t have much to say about this because of how same-y it is; save for two or so tracks, this could have been one long song and I would’ve been none the wiser. The two tracks I did really like are “Switchblades and Infidelity”, which was on the prior EP, and “Pretty in Punk”, which is sort of sweet and sad at the same time.

This was okay-to-mildly-bad, but I definitely wouldn’t recommend it to anyone.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 11:38:06 PM »
Take This to Your Grave
Studio album

Recorded: In 2002 which is apparently when literally all of their music was recorded
Released: 6 May 2003

Band lineup

Patrick Stump (lead vocals, rhythm guitar)
Pete Wentz (backing vocals, unclean vocals, bass guitar)
Joe Trohman (lead guitar)
Andy Hurley (drums)

All tracks authored by Pete Wentz and Patrick Stump, except where noted.

1. "Tell That Mick He Just Made My List of Things to Do Today" (Wentz) (3:30)
2. Dead on Arrival (3:14)
3. Grand Theft Autumn/Where Is Your Boy (3:11)
4. Saturday (3:36)
5. Homesick at Space Camp (3:06)
6. Sending Postcards from a Plane Crash (Wish You Were Here) (2:56)
7. Chicago Is So Two Years Ago (3:19)
8. The Pros and Cons of Breathing (Wentz) (3:21)
9. Grenade Jumper (2:58)
10. Calm Before the Storm (4:29)
11. Reinventing the Wheel to Run Myself Over (2:21)
12. The Patron Saint of Liars and Fakes (3:19)

Review

They’ve definitely grown as a band here. The music is a little more interesting, but only a little. It’s still pretty standard pop punk fare. Enjoyable, but nothing to write home about. Everyone’s good at what they do here (lyrics, vocals, guitar, drums, etc.), but the problem is that they don’t seem to have any idea what to do with that talent (though their lyricism shines more often than other things).

The opening track, “’Tell That Mick He Just Made My List of Things to Do Today’” has some of my favourite lyrics, just being a very harsh sending-off of a cheating now-ex. With ridiculous lines like “Let’s play this game called ‘when you catch fire I wouldn’t piss to put you out’” or “Breaking hearts has never looked so cool as when you wrap your car around a tree/Your makeup looks so great next to his teeth”.

By “The Pros and Cons of Breathing” they’ve started at least toying with new vocal tactics, which is great because for the most part, the entire album is incredibly homogenous in terms of vocal delivery. Once you’ve heard his singing in one of the songs, you know what most of them will sound like.

“Reinventing the Wheel to Run Myself Over” is the high point of the album for me; it’s well-written, well-sung and the most interesting musically (as well as the fastest). It’s just good fun, which is the most I was really expecting to get out of this album. It closes with “The Patron Saint of Liars and Fakes”, which is noteworthy for foreshadowing how Patrick’s vocals would evolve, gaining some actual depth and range, rather than just sounding like he’s straining his voice from shouting nonstop.

On that note, I need to stop and point out that this is scarily reminiscent of Panic! at the Disco’s debut album on every level. From the overly-long song titles to the shouted vocals…in fact, Patrick sounds almost exactly like Brendon Urie here. I can kind of see why Panic!’s debut was so scoffed at with this for reference, because they clearly took more than a little bit of influence from their mentors. That said, I think their debut (A Fever You Can’t Sweat Out) is considerably stronger than this. It is much more creative and varied.

SO yeah, pretty good album. There are some really shitty, boring tracks (coughgrenadejumperandcalmbeforethestormcoughfgu), but most of it is at least decent, if not good. The next album is the start of them being great, though, according to what I’ve heard, so I’m excited.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 11:40:33 PM by Snupes »

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 11:52:14 PM »
But why, though.
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2015, 12:07:14 AM »
Why what?

Ghost of V

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2015, 12:10:12 AM »
Wow.

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2015, 02:26:06 AM »
Wow.

Are you trying to say something about fall out boy, buddy?

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2015, 12:26:32 AM »
My Heart Will Always Be the B-Side to My Tongue
EP

Recorded: lol duno
Released: 18 May 2004

Band lineup

Pete Wentz (backing vocals, unclean vocals, bass guitar)
Andy Hurley (drums)

All tracks authored by Pete Wentz and Patrick Stump, except where noted.

1. My Heart Is the Worst Kind of Weapon (Acoustic) (3:22)
2. It's Not a Side Effect of the Cocaine, I Am Thinking it Must Be Love (2:11)
3. Nobody Puts Baby in the Corner (Acoustic Demo) (3:33)
4. Love Will Tear Us Apart (3:22) (Joy Division Cover)
5. Grand Theft Autumn/Where Is Your Boy (Acoustic) (3:12)

Review
A pretty good EP that feels like an improvement on the album before it, if not much more. Everything on here is acoustic, which probably helps a little, as it’s not overborne with generic pop punk riffs and leads and etc. etc. Patrick’s voice sounds strained occasionally, so hopefully that improves by the next album. My favourite track on here was hands-down “Love Will Tear Us Apart”, which is a cover of the Joy Division track. I may have to check them out. Second to that, though, is “It’s Not a Side Effect of the Cocaine, I Am Thinking It Must Be Love”. The other three tracks are acoustic versions of songs prior or forthcoming.

Ghost of V

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 12:32:18 AM »
They are terrible at song names. "It's Not a Side Effect of the Cocaine, I Am Thinking it Must Be Love " is directly ripped from David Bowie's song "Station to Station", "Grand Theft Autumn" is a lacking play on words, "Love Will Tear Us Apart" is a cover, "My Heart Is the Worst Kind of Weapon" is just bad, and "Nobody Puts Baby in the Corner" is also bad. The song titles they actually come up with themselves are just too long and too emo-edge to take seriously.

1/10

Why are you listening to this band?

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2015, 01:03:20 AM »
They are terrible at song names. "It's Not a Side Effect of the Cocaine, I Am Thinking it Must Be Love " is directly ripped from David Bowie's song "Station to Station", "Grand Theft Autumn" is a lacking play on words, "Love Will Tear Us Apart" is a cover, "My Heart Is the Worst Kind of Weapon" is just bad, and "Nobody Puts Baby in the Corner" is also bad. The song titles they actually come up with themselves are just too long and too emo-edge to take seriously.

1/10

Why are you listening to this band?

I don't listen to artists based on how they title their songs.

From Under the Cork Tree
Studio Album

Recorded: November 2004 - January 2005
Released: 3 May 2005

Band lineup

Pete Wentz (bass guitar, unclean vocals)
Andy Hurley (drums)

All tracks authored by Pete Wentz, all music composed by Fall Out Boy.

1. Our Lawyer Made Us Change the Name of This Song So We Wouldn't Get Sued (3:09)
2. Of All the Gin Joints in All the World (3:11)
3. Dance, Dance (3:00)
4. Sugar, We're Goin Down (3:49)
5. Nobody Puts Baby in the Corner (3:21)
6. I've Got a Dark Alley and a Bad Idea That Says You Should Shut Your Mouth (Summer Song) (3:11)
7. 7 Minutes in Heaven (Atavan Halen) (3:02)
8. Sophomore Slump or Comeback of the Year (3:23)
9. Champagne for My Real Friends, Real Pain for My Sham Friends (3:23)
10. I Slept with Someone in Fall Out Boy and All I Got Was This Stupid Song Written About Me (3:31)
11. A Little Less Sixteen Candles, a Little More "Touch Me" (2:49)
12. Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying (Do Your Part to Save the Scene and Stop Going to Shows) (3:27)
13. XO (3:40)

Review
This is a very, very clear step up from everything that came before it. Patrick’s vocals are much more clear, defined and less-forced, Pete’s writing is much more clever and a little less “girls are terrible”, and their overall music is a little more expanded, rather than sticking to the same-old punk pop formula I keep bringing up. That doesn’t mean it’s super-creative, but it gives a nice bit of breathing room.

The opening track, "Our Lawyer Made Us Change the Name of This Song So We Wouldn't Get Sued", was pretty fun, but I like self-aware intro songs for some reason. I like the changes, or refinement, in sound, but I wish they’d learned to be a little less repetitive. As for "Dance, Dance", it’s scary how much I can see the influence their music had on Panic! That aside, this is really good. A little more varied in sonic togetherness and delivery.

I'm sure most have heard "Sugar, We're Goin Down", even I know the chorus, but this was my first time hearing the whole song. It's actually a really good song. I love their lyricism. “A loaded God complex; cock it and pull it” has been with me since before I even ever heard the song in full.

My favourite is probably "Sophmore Slump or Comeback of the Year"; I love the writing and the imagery. The writing is definitely Fall Out Boy's strong point. That or "Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying (Do Your Part to Save the Scene and Stop Going to Shows)".

But yeah, there's not a lot to say about this album. It's not great, but it's enjoyable.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2015, 01:23:36 AM »
Infinity on High
Studio Album

Recorded: July 2006 - October 2006
Released: 5 February 2007

Band lineup

Patrick Stump (lead vocals, rhythm guitar, piano)
Pete Wentz (bass guitar, backing vocals)
Andy Hurley (drums, percussion)

All tracks authored by Patrick Stump and Pete Wentz, except where noted, and all music composed by Fall Out Boy.

1. Thriller (3:30)
2. "The Take Over, the Breaks Over" (3:34)
3. This Ain't a Scene, It's an Arms Race (3:32)
4. I'm Like a Lawyer with the Way I'm Always Trying to Get You Off (Me & You) (3:31)
5. Hum Hallelujah (3:50) (Stump, Wentz, Leonard Cohen)
6. Golden (2:32) (Stump, Wentz, Wesley Eisold)
7. Thnks fr th Mmrs (3:23)
8. Don't You Know Who I Think I Am? (2:51)
9. The (After) Life of the Party (3:21)
10. The Carpal Tunnel of Love (3:23) (Stump, Wentz, Eisold)
11. Bang the Doldrums (3:31) (Stump, Wentz, Eisold)
12. Fame < Infamy (3:06)
13. You're Crashing, But You're No Wave (3:42)
14. I've Got All This Ringing in My Ears and None on My Fingers (4:06)

Review
Okay, this is a marked improvement on everything they’ve done before. I thought From Under the Cork Tree was the kick-off point for the Fall Out journey, but this is leaps and bounds beyond that album. It’s quite a step away from pop punk, into “alternative rock” territory instead. No longer is the band dependent on tried-and-true riffs, bravado, and songs about broken hearts to see them through their work. Now it feels like something new, something unique and not just a particularly good version of every other pop punk band.

The album starts off with “Thriller”, which has Jay-Z inexplicably open with a spoken intro, before getting into what sounds like an improved-upon version of their usual stuff, albeit with noticeably better vocals. But it’s “This Ain’t a Scene, It’s an Arms Race” that marches out to a dark bet to show that this album isn’t the same as their others. I can’t express how much I enjoyed that song; it was my “London Calling” for Fall Out Boy, where I realized the band had the potential ability to make me stop and listen intently to their music.

“Hum Hallelujah” deals with lead singer Patrick Stump’s attempted suicide-by-overdose and how Jeff Buckley’s “Hallelujah” imprinted on him so heavily in those moments. “Golden” is a slow, pretty, bittersweet ballad about how being famous not only changed how they view things, but how they are viewed. And “Thnks fr th Mmrs”, a song I thought I knew, turned out to be a song I had never heard before. I distinctly recall a slow “thaaaanks for the memorieeees” from something, but apparently it’s not this. (note: if anyone can figure out what song I’m thinking of, I’d be eternally grateful. I feel like the song’s video has something to do with a dead sibling, but I could be wrong) This is much, much better. Fantastic production and vocals; probably almost on-par with “This Ain’t a Scene”.

“Don’t You Know Who I Think I Am?” features what are probably the best vocals on the album, but from there it all goes downhill for a while. “Bang the Doldrums” is pretty good, and “You’re Crashing, But You’re No Wave” is interesting if mainly because of its absurd nature; a narrative song detailing a fictional, rather normal court case.

The album closes with “I’ve Got All This Ringing in My Ears and None on My Fingers”, which escalates the album back to the level of pretty great music. More varied instrumentation, interesting melodies and vocal flourishes, overall just a really good closing song.

This is the first Fall Out Boy album I can say I enjoyed a lot. I’m not sure if I loved it—time will tell—but I’ve a nagging feeling that this album alone is going to cement Fall Out Boy as a band that shows up consistently in my music sessions.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2015, 07:40:47 PM »
Why is this thread?
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2015, 10:11:34 PM »

Why is this thread?

Because you're never here to stop it...

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2015, 10:12:37 PM »
1. Thriller (3:30)
2. "The Take Over, the Breaks Over" (3:34)
3. This Ain't a Scene, It's an Arms Race (3:32)
4. I'm Like a Lawyer with the Way I'm Always Trying to Get You Off (Me & You) (3:31)
5. Hum Hallelujah (3:50) (Stump, Wentz, Leonard Cohen)
6. Golden (2:32) (Stump, Wentz, Wesley Eisold)
7. Thnks fr th Mmrs (3:23)
8. Don't You Know Who I Think I Am? (2:51)
9. The (After) Life of the Party (3:21)
10. The Carpal Tunnel of Love (3:23) (Stump, Wentz, Eisold)
11. Bang the Doldrums (3:31) (Stump, Wentz, Eisold)
12. Fame < Infamy (3:06)
13. You're Crashing, But You're No Wave (3:42)
14. I've Got All This Ringing in My Ears and None on My Fingers (4:06)

Wow.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Ghost of V

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2015, 10:13:12 PM »
Seriously terrible titles. Just awful.