Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (cast list released!)
« Reply #200 on: October 20, 2015, 01:34:31 PM »
An epic story where Jedis are downtrodden and forgotten, then one newbie rises up to defeat the Evil Empire (This time he's black, folks!) In theaters December 16!

« Reply #201 on: October 23, 2015, 10:08:04 PM »
Rushy, in all of his insight, manages to discern similarities between Ep 4 and Ep 7. You truly are a God among men.

Thork

« Reply #202 on: October 24, 2015, 12:58:49 PM »
I haven't got tickets to see this the day it comes out. And no doubt social media will be full of spoilers the same day. Some prick will give the modern day equivalent of "Darth Vader is Luke's father" away and ruin the film for me before I get to watch it. Fuck facebook. :(

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 24, 2015, 01:23:14 PM »
I haven't got tickets to see this the day it comes out. And no doubt social media will be full of spoilers the same day. Some prick will give the modern day equivalent of "Darth Vader is Luke's father" away and ruin the film for me before I get to watch it. Fuck facebook. :(

Have you considered simply not reading Facebook until you've seen the film?
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Thork

« Reply #204 on: October 24, 2015, 01:45:46 PM »
Or read threads here. Or use Twitter. Or watch youtube. Or read comment sections in news. Its going to be practically impossible to avoid spoilers for this.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 24, 2015, 02:00:45 PM »
Rushy, in all of his insight, manages to discern similarities between Ep 4 and Ep 7. You truly are a God among men.

Yes, I know.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #206 on: December 06, 2015, 02:33:00 AM »
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/11/20/george-lucas-star-wars-force-awakens-breakup

Disney looked at what Lucas was planning and explicitly rejected it.  So, no, rooster, these new movies are not a part of Lucas's master plan. >:(

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 06, 2015, 05:39:06 PM »
It seems like they kept some ideas. But if not, then whatevs.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 06, 2015, 06:22:23 PM »
George can't have his cake and eat it, too. When you sell your IP for four bajillion dollars, surprise, you don't own it anymore.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #209 on: December 16, 2015, 10:37:01 PM »
For what it's worth, the reviews are overwhelmingly positive:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_episode_vii_the_force_awakens/

That being said, though, everyone seems to agree that the movie is practically a remake of A New Hope, and prioritizes Abrams-style fanservice over innovation.  I suppose it's hard to blame them for playing it safe with the story after the prequels.

Offline lolwut?

• -flatearther43.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: December 16, 2015, 10:56:30 PM »
LOL at grown men giving 2 shits about Star Trek Wars. 
-flatearther43.2

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 17, 2015, 08:42:19 PM »
You can't even read Facebook comments on posts unrelated to Star Wars now, because retards are commenting with spoilers.

Thork

« Reply #212 on: December 17, 2015, 11:56:10 PM »
An epic story where Jedis are downtrodden and forgotten, then one newbie rises up to defeat the Evil Empire (This time he's black, folks!) In theaters December 16!

I have now seen starwars.

Warning ... incoming spoiler.

The film was good, but Disney had to go down the interracial relationship route. There isn't a single eligible white guy in the universe. Only a black guy is virtuous and loyal and would stand up to the empire and is worth the leading lady's attention. Fuck Disney. >:(
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 12:21:55 PM by Dr David Thork »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 18, 2015, 01:27:34 AM »
Man if only we had some kind of spoiler tag, you know, like this:

SPOILER

that'd be great.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #214 on: December 18, 2015, 01:54:59 AM »

« Reply #215 on: December 18, 2015, 03:52:31 AM »

The film was good, but Disney had to go down the interracial relationship route. There isn't a single eligible white guy in the universe. Only a black guy is virtuous and loyal and would stand up to the empire and is worth the leading lady's attention. Fuck Disney. >:(

Because Po Dameron isn't a character.

There's like 1 black dude in the main cast, calm your shit.

Thork

« Reply #216 on: December 18, 2015, 12:33:46 PM »

Because Po Dameron isn't a character.

There's like 1 black dude in the main cast, calm your shit.
He's there because he's black. And they gave him really PC values. Han Solo was edgy, cocky, had a lovable rogue personality about him.

This character is dreadful. Boring even. There isn't anything about him. He is just loyal and trustworthy and a good egg. He's not even a very good actor. It doesn't seem as though the leading lady would find anything remotely interesting in him. She just met him. He didn't do anything to pique her interest. There isn't any mystery to him. He's 2d and wooden. He hasn't any skills ... he can't talk his way out of anything like solo, he can't fly like a god like Po Dameron, he doesn't know the odds of anything like C3PO, he can't use the force like a jedi, he isn't a renowned trader like jabba, he isn't the best bounty hunter like Fett, he's a very ordinary storm trooper ... but for having PC qualities like loyalty and bravery ... things you'd expect any starwars rebellion hero to have anyway.

He's there because he's black. Abrams has written

He's a storm trooper
He switches sides
He's black ... I need one of those to keep the PC bigots off my back.
Oh, I'd better make him super virtuous then.

And that's it. That's the character. His defining characteristic is that he's black and therefore must be good.

If he starts chewing the face off Ridley in the next one, I might lose my lunch. No one needs to see that - its just neo-liberalism trying to dangle tabooism in our faces again.  :-X

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 18, 2015, 02:05:21 PM »
So, he's a shit character, how does the fact that he's black change that? Would a white guy reading the same script be somehow better?

« Reply #218 on: December 18, 2015, 09:31:10 PM »
This character is dreadful. Boring even. There isn't anything about him. He is just loyal and trustworthy and a good egg. He's not even a very good actor. It doesn't seem as though the leading lady would find anything remotely interesting in him. She just met him. He didn't do anything to pique her interest. There isn't any mystery to him. He's 2d and wooden. He hasn't any skills ... he can't talk his way out of anything like solo, he can't fly like a god like Po Dameron, he doesn't know the odds of anything like C3PO, he can't use the force like a jedi, he isn't a renowned trader like jabba, he isn't the best bounty hunter like Fett, he's a very ordinary storm trooper ... but for having PC qualities like loyalty and bravery ... things you'd expect any starwars rebellion hero to have anyway.

So he's Luke Skywalker circa ANH?

So, he's a shit character, how does the fact that he's black change that? Would a white guy reading the same script be somehow better?

Pretty much this. I've not seen the film yet but there has been no end of praise given to Boyega and Ridley's performances. Similarly, most people have expressed excitement at following these characters through 2 more films. I never understood why people gave a shit that a character is black.

Thork

« Reply #219 on: December 20, 2015, 02:22:33 AM »
Cos stormtroopers aren't black!

They are all clones of Jango fett. They all have jango's face.

They look like

They don't look like Boyega. They should never have cast a black stormtrooper, they did it purely to get a token black guy into the movie. >:(