Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Improving our home page
« on: April 04, 2015, 08:31:14 PM »
It's no secret that our homepage currently leaves much to be desired. We don't have all that much content there, which appears to lead to a high bounce rate (i.e. people finding us, visiting the site, and leaving shortly after). We've neglected it, and I think it's high time we work on it.

I've been playing around with SMF's website integration functionality, and so far I came up with the idea of listing the most recently updated threads in the sidebar (which is currently cluttered by largely unhelpful blog stuff). Mind you, this is just a quick draft, but instead of this:

we could have this:

(Currently, I have this set to display only threads from Announcements, FEG, FEQ&A and FED of my dev forum, but this can obviously be changed)

While on the subject of tying the homepage together with the forum, this could also open another avenue. Currently, we rely on a blogging CMS that only Parsifal and I have direct access to. Obviously, this is not ideal since it needlessly stops our members from directly contributing (see: the fact that we only published one of Pongo's two proposed posts, for no real good reason). We could, for example, have a News board here which would allow some pre-approved members to post directly to the home page.

We could also explore areas for integrating the home page with our Wiki, e.g. "Flat Earth image of the week" (this could be randomly picked from a selection of images we mark as good), a link to a random article, or something along those lines.

All in all, I'm looking for opinions on the ideas I've had so far, as well as any other ideas you might have for improving our homepage. Do you think the links to recent posts in the sidebar might be useful to a newcomer? Would people be interested in writing an occasional paragraph for the homepage were it not for the current administrative difficulties of getting this done? What else can we do?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 08:33:37 PM by pizaaplanet »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Improving our home page
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 09:21:53 PM »
While on the subject of tying the homepage together with the forum, this could also open another avenue. Currently, we rely on a blogging CMS that only Parsifal and I have direct access to. Obviously, this is not ideal since it needlessly stops our members from directly contributing (see: the fact that we only published one of Pongo's two proposed posts, for no real good reason). We could, for example, have a News board here which would allow some pre-approved members to post directly to the home page.
That was actually quite easy to implement. My test page now displays threads from Announcements.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 09:25:14 PM »
This is a pretty epictacular approach. Thanks for the efforts, pizaa.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 11:05:34 PM »
Right! We've gone and done and implemented my first two suggestions, with a little bit extra. Here's how things work now:

The 5 most recent threads in Announcements will appear on the home page. Members interested in writing stories there should get in touch with one of the admins to get new-thread-posting privileges. Maintenance notices and outage debriefs will now appear in a sub-board of Announcements called Status Notices. Those will also appear at the bottom of the sidebar. In addition to that, the sidebar now features links the five most recently updated threads in FEG, FED and FEQ&A.

I hope everyone enjoys the changes. Let us know if we screwed something up, or if you have any suggestions, or questions... or anything. Really, just talk to us. We're lonely.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 11:07:17 PM »
In addition to that, the sidebar now features links the five most recently updated threads in FEG, FED and FEQ&A.

And the Information Repository.

I'm pretty excited about this. Our homepage was the weakest part of our site, partly because it had no fresh content and was a major entry point, for the past year and a half. Now we'll hopefully gather more visitor interest, and maybe even better search engine rankings.

Offline Pongo

• Most Educated Flat-Earther
  • Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 05:18:56 AM »
If, in the event of a merger, will all this wonderful work be for naught?

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 10:05:25 AM »

With the merger as it is currently on the table, yes. However, as we've been waiting for Daniel to provide us with access for nearly three months already, neither pizaaplanet nor I is content to sit around and twiddle our thumbs when there are clear improvements to be made on tfes.org.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 11:11:45 AM »
As far as I'm concerned, tfes.org will continue to operate as normal until reunification, should it ever happen. If things start moving forward, we might want to renegotiate or at least discuss some of the previously agreed points, given that the state of both sites changed considerably since last December. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 03:19:00 PM »
We should renegotiate with Daniel to have, at least, shared access over modifications to the home page.

Thork

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 05:35:10 PM »
I like the new additions. :)

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2015, 01:01:37 PM »
Our home page now has a new design as well, created by me. If any of you have any feedback or suggestions for improvement, I'll be glad to hear it.

Rama Set

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2015, 01:05:57 PM »
Our home page now has a new design as well, created by me. If any of you have any feedback or suggestions for improvement, I'll be glad to hear it.

I like the narrowed colour palate, but the increase in the number of fonts makes it feel a little busy for my taste.

Thork

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2015, 01:35:54 PM »

I like the narrowed colour palate, but the increase in the number of fonts makes it feel a little busy for my taste.
Agreed, The fonts are print fonts, not reading fonts. Lay off the sans serif. http://www.fonts.com/content/learning/fontology/level-1/type-anatomy/serif-vs-sans-for-text-in-print  :)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 01:37:27 PM by Dr David Thork »

Rama Set

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2015, 02:42:31 PM »

Agreed, The fonts are print fonts, not reading fonts. Lay off the sans serif. http://www.fonts.com/content/learning/fontology/level-1/type-anatomy/serif-vs-sans-for-text-in-print  :)

My issue is not so much the selection of font, but rather the number of different fonts on the page.

Thork

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2015, 02:48:09 PM »
Its the curly whirly titles I don't really like.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2015, 03:40:16 PM »

It's only using three fonts in total. Is there something in specific you'd like to see changed?

Thork, your link is discussing print fonts. Serif fonts are hardly ever used for body text in web design. Go look at a mister bickles post and reconsider if you really want our website to look like that.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 03:42:39 PM by Blanko »

Rama Set

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2015, 11:25:07 PM »

It's only using three fonts in total. Is there something in specific you'd like to see changed?

Thork, your link is discussing print fonts. Serif fonts are hardly ever used for body text in web design. Go look at a mister bickles post and reconsider if you really want our website to look like that.

It was the addition of the script-like font to the sidebar titles I found to be the most distracting but considering the effect is likely a sum of the composition of the site I don't think removing that is the only solution.