« Reply #500 on: July 08, 2014, 07:46:04 AM »
lol, lore nerds

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online
« Reply #501 on: July 08, 2014, 07:56:59 AM »
I don't even care. I would probably have known that if I weren't so busy getting laid all the time.  :-B
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #502 on: July 08, 2014, 08:07:22 AM »
Getting laid? What a loser.
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #503 on: July 08, 2014, 01:50:33 PM »
It's possible to complete some quests out of order, and then it clashes with the overall storyline and stuff doesn't make sense later!  I helped out this Morag Tong lady on a quest, but I was supposed to do some other lower-level quest first, and now I'm being introduced to the Morag Tong lady like we've never met before.  Stop being such a theme park, game!

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: July 08, 2014, 04:50:08 PM »
It's possible to complete some quests out of order, and then it clashes with the overall storyline and stuff doesn't make sense later!  I helped out this Morag Tong lady on a quest, but I was supposed to do some other lower-level quest first, and now I'm being introduced to the Morag Tong lady like we've never met before.  Stop being such a theme park, game!

Making a game that detects other quest completion dynamically is labor intensive and making one quest require another is obnoxious from a gameplay perspective. I'm not really sure what you're expecting, Saddam. It's almost like you expected something that isn't an MMO and are now perturbed that you're playing an MMO.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: July 08, 2014, 06:08:52 PM »

Making a game that detects other quest completion dynamically is labor intensive and making one quest require another is obnoxious from a gameplay perspective. I'm not really sure what you're expecting, Saddam. It's almost like you expected something that isn't an MMO and are now perturbed that you're playing an MMO.
Or just skip the introduction.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #506 on: July 09, 2014, 07:45:01 PM »
Making a game that detects other quest completion dynamically is labor intensive and making one quest require another is obnoxious from a gameplay perspective.

if quest1.complete:
    quest2.run()

Pretty sure game coders have been doing this for a few years. If not, the above is proprietary software and may not be duplicated, copied, shared, looked at or read out loud.

« Reply #507 on: July 09, 2014, 09:21:41 PM »

Saddam whinging about this being an MMO seems to be the running theme.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #508 on: July 10, 2014, 05:30:49 AM »
Making a game that detects other quest completion dynamically is labor intensive and making one quest require another is obnoxious from a gameplay perspective...

And therefore, they had no choice but to make a good chunk of the quests in the game be part of a very long, very linear overarching storyline where it's easy to inadvertently skip ahead in the story if you go wandering.  Okay, it all makes sense now.

I remember back on the old site some people were discussing how exactly travel to and from Cyrodiil would be handled, seeing how they wouldn't be allowing people to travel into territories not controlled by their faction.  Well, here's how it works.  You bring up the multiplayer menu, select a campaign...and then you vanish and reappear in Cyrodiil.  Just like that.  They don't even bother handwaving it away as you teleporting there.  It's a game mechanic that they simply did not bother integrating with the story.  And before anyone starts, no, this is not a quirk inherent to MMOs and impossible to handle well.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 06:32:29 AM by Saddam Hussein »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #509 on: July 10, 2014, 05:48:03 AM »
That's fucking atrocious.
The Mastery.

« Reply #510 on: July 10, 2014, 06:04:03 AM »
I remember back on the old site some people were discussing how exactly travel to and from Cyrodiil would be handled, seeing how they wouldn't be allowing people to travel into territories not controlled by their faction.  Well, here's how they handle it.  You bring up the multiplayer menu, select a campaign...and then you vanish and reappear in Cyrodiil.  Just like that.  They don't even bother handwaving it away as you teleporting there.  It's a game mechanic that they simply did not bother integrating with the story.  And before anyone starts, no, this is not a quirk inherent to MMOs and impossible to handle well.

I'm not sure how I should judge this as I'm not familiar with how the game works. Why is this a bad thing?

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: July 10, 2014, 06:11:35 AM »
Did your nan create this game, Vindictus? Why are you unwilling to admit that it's at all flawed?
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

« Reply #512 on: July 10, 2014, 06:27:52 AM »
huh what? I've been bagging this game since the thread was created on the old forums. I just think some of Saddam's whinging is funny because it's so redundant.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: July 10, 2014, 10:36:32 AM »
I remember back on the old site some people were discussing how exactly travel to and from Cyrodiil would be handled, seeing how they wouldn't be allowing people to travel into territories not controlled by their faction.  Well, here's how they handle it.  You bring up the multiplayer menu, select a campaign...and then you vanish and reappear in Cyrodiil.  Just like that.  They don't even bother handwaving it away as you teleporting there.  It's a game mechanic that they simply did not bother integrating with the story.  And before anyone starts, no, this is not a quirk inherent to MMOs and impossible to handle well.
So you teleport to what? A clusterfuck PVP battle between three teams?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #514 on: July 10, 2014, 08:24:47 PM »
I'm not sure how I should judge this as I'm not familiar with how the game works. Why is this a bad thing?

It hurts immersion.  This isn't an FPS where you can just switch between campaign and multiplayer; it's an RPG, and you're playing as the same character in both PvE and PvP.  They shouldn't be treating it as a completely different setting that requires no transition whatsoever.

The PvP itself is quite confusing, and strangely enough, I have yet to see any, well, PvP in it.  Just some incredibly overpowered NPCs and monsters.  Also, I'm not sure how much of this is due to the quirks of the PvP area itself and how much of it is due to the fact that my alliance happens to be sucking a big one in this campaign and we only control a couple of bases, but there are only a couple of wayshrines available for teleporting to, which basically means I have to travel across Cyrodiil on foot, and whenever I die, I respawn on the very edge of the map where my bases are.  It's every bit as tedious and frustrating as it sounds.  The only thing of note I managed to do was find Cheydinhal and complete a few quests there.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 01:47:36 AM by Saddam Hussein »

« Reply #515 on: July 11, 2014, 08:41:44 AM »
Sounds like GW2 does massive scale PvP better as well. They didn't even bother with a real lore explanation for PvP, they just made some islands completely separate to the main map (but still on it) for everyone to fight on.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #516 on: July 11, 2014, 09:58:37 AM »
Perhaps they think of it as fast travel, just like how you can fast travel to discovered wayshrines in the PvE area (I assume you actually can do that).
But they really should have done it so you'd have to use a horse wagon or a portal, or at least use the map for fast travel and not through the fucking game menus.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 10:02:54 AM by beardo »
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #517 on: July 11, 2014, 03:56:01 PM »
Perhaps they think of it as fast travel, just like how you can fast travel to discovered wayshrines in the PvE area (I assume you actually can do that).

Actually, you teleport to them.  It even shows you briefly casting a spell or something if you aren't currently at a wayshrine.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #518 on: July 11, 2014, 04:23:54 PM »
Okay.
The Mastery.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: July 11, 2014, 05:49:52 PM »
Making a game that detects other quest completion dynamically is labor intensive and making one quest require another is obnoxious from a gameplay perspective.

if quest1.complete:
    quest2.run()

Pretty sure game coders have been doing this for a few years. If not, the above is proprietary software and may not be duplicated, copied, shared, looked at or read out loud.
m8 you'd need a loop there somewhere, otherwise it wouldn't be dynamic, duh.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume