« Reply #485 on: July 06, 2014, 06:11:43 AM »
The Mastery.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online
« Reply #486 on: July 06, 2014, 06:15:19 AM »
I forgot about this shit man does it still suck ass like all MMOs you nerdy ass mofos

Some elements of it suck pretty hard.  Others are surprisingly good.

What is surprisingly good?
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #487 on: July 06, 2014, 06:25:33 AM »
I forgot about this shit man does it still suck ass like all MMOs you nerdy ass mofos

You can put a beer belly on your character.
The Mastery.

Ghost of V

« Reply #488 on: July 06, 2014, 06:27:35 AM »
Hey, Vauxy, remember when Diego was complaining about how Oblivion sucked because of minor lore deviations from prior games?  And then it turned out that a lot of what he was saying wasn't actually true.

I demand this question be answered!  Here's the thread in question:

http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=12855.0

That's a blast from the past. It's blowing my mind. I don't even remember typing any of that. But I still stand by my younger words, and yes... I cheated a lot.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 06:37:08 AM by Vauxhall »

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #489 on: July 06, 2014, 09:19:53 PM »

I like the quests.  Even though most of them do fit the basic MMO format, they incorporate the lore and setting in ways that help make it feel like it's a genuine Elder Scrolls game.  So, to use the "bear asses" example, instead of getting a quest like "These bears are annoying me, could you kill five of them and bring me their asses?" you get something like "Ashlander shamans have cast a spell on the surrounding wildlife and have driven the bears into a mad killing frenzy!  If you can gather five bear asses and bring them to me, we can perform a ritual to dispel the magic!"  And then that might lead to another quest where you confront these Ashlander shamans, and so on.  Obviously, that's not a real quest; there are no bears in Morrowind.  That's just the general way they dress these quests up.

The combat is interesting, and actually quite challenging.  Timing, blocking, and countering are a lot more important than they were in previous titles, and you have to juggle your special abilities, knowing when to use which ones against which kinds of enemies and whatnot.  Speaking of special abilities, that's what your class governs, and yeah, I really like the class system.  Your special abilities are of course important, but you're still free to wear whatever armor and use whatever weapons you like, just like in any other ES title.  It's exactly the kind of balancing between the traditional ES format and the usual MMO format that I was talking about earlier.  I wish they could have done something similar with other aspects of the game, like the dopey zone-to-zone theme park style.

Also, there is lore.  lore lore lore

« Reply #490 on: July 06, 2014, 09:42:28 PM »
Sounds like GW2 is better.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: July 06, 2014, 11:16:45 PM »
I like the quests.  Even though most of them do fit the basic MMO format, they incorporate the lore and setting in ways that help make it feel like it's a genuine Elder Scrolls game.  So, to use the "bear asses" example, instead of getting a quest like "These bears are annoying me, could you kill five of them and bring me their asses?" you get something like "Ashlander shamans have cast a spell on the surrounding wildlife and have driven the bears into a mad killing frenzy!  If you can gather five bear asses and bring them to me, we can perform a ritual to dispel the magic!"  And then that might lead to another quest where you confront these Ashlander shamans, and so on.  Obviously, that's not a real quest; there are no bears in Morrowind.  That's just the general way they dress these quests up.

The combat is interesting, and actually quite challenging.  Timing, blocking, and countering are a lot more important than they were in previous titles, and you have to juggle your special abilities, knowing when to use which ones against which kinds of enemies and whatnot.  Speaking of special abilities, that's what your class governs, and yeah, I really like the class system.  Your special abilities are of course important, but you're still free to wear whatever armor and use whatever weapons you like, just like in any other ES title.  It's exactly the kind of balancing between the traditional ES format and the usual MMO format that I was talking about earlier.  I wish they could have done something similar with other aspects of the game, like the dopey zone-to-zone theme park style.

Also, there is lore.  lore lore lore

Generic MMO is generic. From what I've played and what you said, ESO is really just World of Warcraft Elder Scrolls.

Ghost of V

« Reply #492 on: July 06, 2014, 11:26:33 PM »
Go here. Kill these. Bring me their asses. Add lore and you still have a really generic MMO formula.

« Reply #493 on: July 07, 2014, 12:38:14 AM »
Sounds like GW2 is better.

TESO's dialogue screens and character designs are better, so there.

I don't know, GW2 has some bloody beautiful dialogue screens.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: July 07, 2014, 12:40:26 AM »
I'm tempted to try ESO for a month. Too bad it costs 200 dollars. How did you get it cheepy cheepy Saddam?

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #495 on: July 07, 2014, 06:15:45 PM »
I didn't really get it cheap.  Green Man Gaming was offering a 25% discount one day, and I bought it on impulse.

I made it to Mournhold!  It doesn't really look like it did in Tribunal.  And Almalexia is absolutely nothing like she was in Tribunal.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 06:31:19 AM by Saddam Hussein »

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: July 07, 2014, 10:14:58 PM »
A lot can change in 1000+ years.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #497 on: July 07, 2014, 10:40:53 PM »
800 years.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: July 07, 2014, 10:43:38 PM »
k

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #499 on: July 08, 2014, 07:38:07 AM »
lol. Alexandyr got a lore thing wrong.
The Mastery.