« Reply #360 on: June 27, 2014, 07:37:11 AM »
bear asses
The Mastery.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online
« Reply #361 on: June 27, 2014, 09:46:55 AM »
It's one thing to simply not acknowledge the presence of other players; it's another to tell you that they aren't there.  Does WoW - or any other MMO, really - do that?
Secret World constantly mentions other players and how they're always running around to help.

There's even one quest that basically says "The zombies get back up after you shoot them so would you mind just killing them again?  Thanks."
The only time you feel like a lone hero is during the story missions but a lot of that is in solo instances and cut scenes. 

If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #362 on: June 29, 2014, 09:20:49 PM »
Immersion for one. Maybe I'm biased. I think the setting is significantly superior to Skyrim's. Cyrodil is a lush wilderness full of color and verve, Skyrim is a mess of greys and whites. I'm more partial to the way talking with NPCs was handled in Oblivion. Also, like others have stated... The UI is absurd for an Elder Scrolls  game. It felt like I was playing some weird sci-fi Fallout or Star Trek game where you visit primitive planets. The quests were amazing, with the exception of the main quest. The characters were more believable and had much more personality than the ones in Slyrim, that's mostly the writers fault however. And I just like the entire engine better. The only thing Skyrim improved on was combat, but combat isn't really that important in an Elder Scrolls game.

Oblivion is x10 better than Skyrim.

Hey, Vauxy, remember when Diego was complaining about how Oblivion sucked because of minor lore deviations from prior games?  And then it turned out that a lot of what he was saying wasn't actually true.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 29, 2014, 09:27:32 PM »
Immersion for one. Maybe I'm biased. I think the setting is significantly superior to Skyrim's. Cyrodil is a lush wilderness full of color and verve, Skyrim is a mess of greys and whites. I'm more partial to the way talking with NPCs was handled in Oblivion. Also, like others have stated... The UI is absurd for an Elder Scrolls  game. It felt like I was playing some weird sci-fi Fallout or Star Trek game where you visit primitive planets. The quests were amazing, with the exception of the main quest. The characters were more believable and had much more personality than the ones in Slyrim, that's mostly the writers fault however. And I just like the entire engine better. The only thing Skyrim improved on was combat, but combat isn't really that important in an Elder Scrolls game.

Oblivion is x10 better than Skyrim.

Is this a joke?
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: June 29, 2014, 09:49:33 PM »
Yeah Vauxy, don't be ridiculous. Oblivion isn't that much better, it's a 6/10 game to Skyrim's 4/10.

Ghost of V

« Reply #365 on: June 29, 2014, 10:29:30 PM »
This is not a joke. Skyrim is meh compared to Oblivion. Of course, I'm wearing rose-tinted goggles since Oblivion was my first Elder Scrolls game. Sorry I'm not morrowind elite.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: June 29, 2014, 10:35:45 PM »
lol wow epic troller balkno such troll very troll (le doge meme xD) but seriously I would like to see some of these points defended. Firstly, the claim that Skyrim is a "mess of greys and whites".

Less than half of the world's playable area is actually covered in snow. 

Here's Cyrodiil. Very little variation.

Secondly, how is conversing with NPCs better in Oblivion? The only difference is that, in Oblivion, the camera is locked several short inches from the NPCs face as the world noticeably freezes behind them. I don't see how this is an improvement over Skyrim's system, which retains the player's original perspective during conversation, doesn't freeze time, and allows you to look around.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 29, 2014, 10:51:36 PM »
Secondly, how is conversing with NPCs better in Oblivion? The only difference is that, in Oblivion, the camera is locked several short inches from the NPCs potato face as the world noticeably freezes behind them. I don't see how this is an improvement over Skyrim's system, which retains the player's original perspective during conversation, doesn't freeze time, and allows you to look around.
Fix'd.

Also, while the voice acting isn't prefect in Skyrim, it's several times better than in Oblivion. The lack of variations in voice actors aside, the lines spoken in Oblivion sounds cartoonish and unprofessional. Like they're just reading them from a paper, which they are, but they sound like they're not putting any effort into making the lines sound believable. People don't speak the way they do, while the dialogues in Skyrim sounds a lot more realistic and believable, although as I said, not perfect yet.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 10:58:53 PM by beardo »
The Mastery.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 29, 2014, 11:06:01 PM »
lol wow epic troller balkno such troll very troll (le doge meme xD)

>mffw

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 30, 2014, 12:20:33 AM »
lol wow epic troller balkno such troll very troll (le doge meme xD)

>mffw

What the vehk did you just say to me, you little N'wah? I'll have you know that I graduated top of my class from the battlespire, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Daedric Shrines, and I have over 300 confirmed trapped souls. I am trained in magickal warfare and I am the top battlemage in the entire Imperial Legion. You are nothing to me but just another soul. I will wipe you the vehk out with precision the likes of which have bever been seen before on Mundus, mark my vehking works. You think you can get away with saying that CHIM to me over the internet? Think again, N'wah. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of blades across Tamriel, and your magicka signature is being traced right now, so you better prepare for the storm, n'wah. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're vehking dead kid. I can be anywhere, any time, and I can kill you over seven hundred different ways, and that's just with my hand to hand skill. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the Imperial Legion, and I will use it to it's fullest extent to wipe your miserable vehk off the face of the earth, you little n'wah. If only you knew what unholy retribution your little "clever" remark was about to bring down, you would have held your vehking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you acursed n'wah. I will cast fury on you and you will drown in it. You're vehking dead, kiddo.

Ghost of V

« Reply #370 on: June 30, 2014, 02:14:14 AM »
Alright, Alex. Calm down. We know you're a Skyrim fanboy, but could you tone it down a notch?

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 30, 2014, 02:17:26 AM »
I'm not. I hate Skyrim, as well as every other ES game that came out after Morrowind. Oblivion is just objectively worse.

« Reply #372 on: June 30, 2014, 02:35:08 AM »
They're all terrible games. Bioware makes better RPGs.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 30, 2014, 02:37:19 AM »
They're all terrible games. Bioware makes better RPGs.

*tips trillby* expertly trolled m'sir

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 30, 2014, 02:49:06 AM »
I'm not. I hate Skyrim, as well as every other ES game that came out after Morrowind. Oblivion is just objectively worse.

Nice Rushing, bro

« Reply #375 on: June 30, 2014, 02:52:15 AM »
At least in Mass Effect I can have sex with people. Even if you could have sex in Oblivion, you'd need an in game paper bag just to fap to it.

Ghost of V

« Reply #376 on: June 30, 2014, 03:21:25 AM »

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: June 30, 2014, 05:39:18 AM »
Excellent use of the black science guy meme "there's a bad guy over here" but you're ignoring the hard facts. How is the conversation system in Oblivion better than Skyrim's?

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #378 on: June 30, 2014, 06:01:53 AM »
I have taken advantage of some deal that let me get TESO at a lower price.  If it's not worth $15 a month, I won't bother subscribing, but a month should be enough time to get the feel of the game and see if the lore is consistent.

lore lore lore

Ghost of V

« Reply #379 on: June 30, 2014, 06:10:59 AM »
I have taken advantage of some deal that let me get TESO at a lower price.  If it's not worth $15 a month, I won't bother subscribing, but a month should be enough time to get the feel of the game and see if the lore is consistent.

lore lore lore

That's how they get you.

I believe the comedic possibilities with the zoom on faces make it better than Skyrim's conversation system by default. Not everything needs to be realistic. Time should freeze when people are talking. That's just games.

The maps posted show exactly what I was talking about. Skyrim is mostly grey/white/brown. At least Cyrodil looks pretty even if it looks the same all over (which isn't true to begin with). Skyrim's world is drab as hell.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 06:16:55 AM by Vauxhall »