Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Official Sports Thread
« Reply #300 on: January 20, 2014, 02:54:14 AM »
Have to pull for the Broncos now.  It's Peyton's year.

Broncos will be an early 3 point favorite. That will change over the next two weeks.

Rama Set

« Reply #301 on: January 20, 2014, 03:05:41 AM »
Fucking terrible officiating. Two great defenses clashing and young QBs make good plays then dumb plays. Great game. I hate Seattle.

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 20, 2014, 03:28:00 AM »
Brady had a rough game, and their gameplan seemed way off.
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

« Reply #303 on: January 20, 2014, 07:59:01 AM »
Like all playoff games, both these games are toss-ups. That said, I'd guess the home team in both games.
Heh, I was right for once.

The first game was pretty boring. Broncos were clearly better, and it wasn't as close as the score may have made it look. The second game was fantastic. Sherman was like a WWE character in the end, and I hope Bowman is able to walk again someday after that. Seriously, that shit is going to haunt my nightmares tonight.
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

Rama Set

« Reply #304 on: January 20, 2014, 02:54:49 PM »
Sherman is such a douchebag.  I hope Manning lights him up.  I don't mind the cockiness, but he is just plain disrespectful.

« Reply #305 on: January 20, 2014, 06:19:30 PM »
I love Sherman. He says he's the best CB in the game, and he's probably right. I'd rather we get ridiculous, WWE style interviews than another "It was a great game against great opponents and we came out on top today". He's a ridiculous, fame-seeking character that had a camera put in his face moments after he made the game-winning play to send his team to the Superbowl.

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 20, 2014, 07:42:09 PM »
Sherman is such a douchebag.  I hope Manning lights him up.  I don't mind the cockiness, but he is just plain disrespectful.

He is a great CB, but also a douche.
God is real.

« Reply #307 on: January 21, 2014, 03:28:20 AM »
Life is real good right now.

I thought the way Sherman acted was kind of a dick move, but he's a hard guy to hate.  I'm biased to be sure, but I can't dog the guy too much for acting out just moments after making the Superbowl on the biggest play of his life against a player he genuinely dislikes. 

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/20/richard-sherman-interview-michael-crabtree/
A lot of what I said to Andrews was adrenaline talking, and some of that was Crabtree. I just don’t like him.

It was loud, it was in the moment, and it was just a small part of the person I am.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Rama Set

« Reply #308 on: January 21, 2014, 04:59:16 AM »
He is a great DB and a douche. That is all.

I feel for Navarro Bowman. Torn ACL and MCL.

Thork

« Reply #309 on: January 21, 2014, 11:48:46 AM »

This is what happens when you take too many stimulants.

Rama Set

« Reply #310 on: January 21, 2014, 02:52:02 PM »
Djokovic goes down to Stan the Man and Eugenie Bouchard de Canada is through to the SFs.  This Aussie Open has been fantastic!

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 21, 2014, 04:40:01 PM »

This is what happens when you take too many stimulants.

All of Seattle's defense is juicing.  That fine fellow has already been suspended before for being caught.  Six of them have been caught since 2011.

« Reply #312 on: January 21, 2014, 05:42:44 PM »
Sherman was caught taking adderall, not steroids.  Given his reputation for hard work and studiousness, I'd say it's at least an even money bet that he was using it as a study aid.  Sherman is far from the most athletic corner in the game.  But if you want to reason that if some players were caught taking PEDs then all players must be taking PEDs, go for it.

Frankly, my love and endearment for Richard Sherman has skyrocketed in the last 24 hours. 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/isaac-saul/what-richard-sherman-taught-us_b_4631980.html
This is a guy who represents one of the best kinds of sports stories there is in the world: the rise from the bottom, the profound destruction of obstacles, the honest success story built by a foundation of hard work and loving parents. If anyone with a brain took the time to learn about Richard Sherman, and then put him in the context of the rest of the National Football League, he'd be a pretty hard guy to bash.

He made an asshole comment about a receiver he genuinely dislikes, and then a bunch of people called him a nigger for it.  When Philip Rivers talks shit on Jay Cutler, everyone lauds his passion and intensity.  He's praised for it.  Even when it's criticized, it's done so with an almost absurd politeness.  Google 'Philip Rivers trash talk' and check out what you get:

No mistaking the player, but Rivers the person is just misunderstood
Philip Rivers is the emotional heart and soul of the Chargers
Chargers QB Philip Rivers Is an Entertaining Fellow

These are just some examples, and to be clear I'm absolutely not suggesting that anyone in this thread, or anyone else who dislikes Sherman, is a racist.  But, I do think that both the level of scrutiny this event has been given, and the intensity of the negative reactions to it, does speak to a kind of systematic racial bias or preference that definitely still exists.  I think that that bias is having a strong effect on the way our society is talking about this event.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Rama Set

« Reply #313 on: January 21, 2014, 05:54:40 PM »
I want to make it clear that I have no problem with Sherman patting Crabtree's butt and making the choking signal. That was in the context of the game and that is how he gets an edge, so be it.

I think taking to national airwaves and calling Crabtree mediocre at best and all the rest was douchy. Keep it on the field.

When Thomas made the first interception he pointed and laughed at Boldin as Boldin downed him. Got my blood boiling, but I have no problem with that either.

I hope Richard Sherman gets lit up by Tim Tebow next year.

« Reply #314 on: January 21, 2014, 07:16:46 PM »
For those wondering what actually happened with Richard Sherman, he was suspended for PEDs (Performance Enhancing Drugs) and he said it was adderall. The league is not allowed to disclose the results of those tests. However, the suspension was overturned due to improper handling of the urine sample.

As for racial bias, give me a break. Richard Sherman is a fucking asshole. People dislike him because he's an asshole. Don't even try and compare Philip Rivers and Richard Sherman. There are a lot of differences beyond race. Philip Rivers doesn't tell sports commentators that he's better at life than them, nor does he get into feuds saying he's better than the best player at his position (Revis).

« Reply #315 on: January 21, 2014, 09:23:13 PM »
As for racial bias, give me a break. Richard Sherman is a fucking asshole. People dislike him because he's an asshole. Don't even try and compare Philip Rivers and Richard Sherman. There are a lot of differences beyond race. Philip Rivers doesn't tell sports commentators that he's better at life than them, nor does he get into feuds saying he's better than the best player at his position (Revis).

I just don't see how Sherman's trash talk is any different than any of the other trash talk in the media and on the field.  NFL fans and NFL media tend to laud this behavior in white athletes for 'playing with a chip on his shoulder.'  Just look at how the media talks about Tom Brady.  The same people tend to criticize this behavior in black athletes.  They're disproportionately characterized as arrogant, hostile, overly-aggressive, bad sports, and stupid.  Again, just to be clear, I'm talking in generalities about our national discourse, not you specifically.  I don't want to be misunderstood to be calling anyone a racist for disliking a football player.

And I really don't see any argument for Revis being better than Sherman this season.

http://deadspin.com/a-guide-to-richard-sherman-your-new-favorite-nfl-playe-1504931508
To start, let's go to our favorite individual metric for coverage, Pro Football Focus's yards per snap in coverage. This stat measures how many yards a defensive back's assigned man gets for every snap he's in coverage. So if a cornerback drops into coverage 50 times in a game and gives up 100 total yards, the number will be 2; if he drops back those same 50 times and gives up 25 yards, it's 0.5. Sherman's number is 0.77 yards per coverage snap—second in the league behind Darrelle Revis's 0.72. This is a preposterous number on its own, but Sherman's targets per snap in coverage—the Deion metric, basically—is 9.5, the best figure in the last two years. There's a huge drop down to Revis at 8.8, and another huge drop to 7.7 for third place Patrick Peterson and Keenen Lewis.

Sherman also leads the league in interceptions, QB Rating against, and coverage snaps per reception, and has one of the lowest ratios of YAC to total yards allowed of all cornerbacks.

And Revis isn't even top-50 in WPA this season: http://wp.advancednflstats.com/defenderstats.php?pos=CB

Also this video

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-presents/0ap2000000254372/NFL-Films-Presents-The-trash-talking-cornerback

Rama Set

« Reply #316 on: January 21, 2014, 09:54:17 PM »
Tom Brady does not talk trash off the field.  I think that is what has people in a tizzy.  Not that he did it on the field.

« Reply #317 on: January 21, 2014, 11:58:40 PM »
Tom Brady is an all-time great playing at QB on one of the most dynasties in history. He is also always classy and says the correct (albeit boring) things in interviews.

Sherman is a loud-mouthed asshole. I love him for it, but if you bash media personalities and conduct post-game interviews like you're in the WWE, you will be (fairly) criticized for it. That's why the media will treat Sherman and Brady differently.

As for Revis, the particular spat I'm referring to took place last year, when Revis was out with a torn ACL. But even if you compare them now, Revis has still had a better career. Sherman is great, no doubt, but he also has amazingly talented safeties while Revis's career (before the Bucs misused him) he was generally one-on-one against the other team's WR1 with no safety help. However, this year, I'd agree Sherman has been the best CB in the NFL.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 22, 2014, 06:14:23 PM »
Broncos will be an early 3 point favorite. That will change over the next two weeks.

Broncos opened at -2.5, hasn't moved yet.

Speaking of betting.  Sean, how much money do you owe me?

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 22, 2014, 07:40:28 PM »
$110, i think.
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?