Re: Just Watched
« Reply #720 on: September 14, 2014, 11:12:03 PM »
Blackface for nerds

Srsly though, terrible show. Doesn't even get its nerd facts right. I try to watch and they fuck up a Super Mario 64 reference. What shits.

WELL YOU'RE WRONG BECAUSE BARENAKED LADIES DID THE INTRO AND WIL WHEATON ON THE SHOW PLUS THEY HAVE PHYSICS GUYS GET THE MATH RIGHT

edit: derp
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 11:28:06 PM by Vindictus »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: September 15, 2014, 12:57:42 AM »
I'm currently watching a show called Continuum (apparently there is a SyFy show that goes by this name, I am talking about the Canadian one). It started off pretty dull and overdone "erma gawd, we went back in time!!!1!!1!" but the story depth is getting a lot better and I am now starting season 2.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1954347/

« Reply #722 on: September 15, 2014, 01:24:09 AM »
Synopsis sounds really lame.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #723 on: September 15, 2014, 01:39:12 AM »
I am a tough guy, not a nerd, so I am not offended by their depictions of nerds.  What I am offended by is how obnoxious and unfunny it is.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #724 on: September 15, 2014, 01:53:23 AM »
The Mastery.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: September 15, 2014, 01:30:18 PM »
the masterwork that is Seinfeld

This is the sort of person that watches and enjoys TBBT

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: September 15, 2014, 01:53:32 PM »
I have been watching the original 1978 Battlestar Galactica, and its follow-up, Galactica 1980. I only have an episode and a half to go of the latter (the second-last episode seems to be broken halfway through, so I wasn't able to watch the end).

Battlestar Galactica starts off being literally Star Wars, but gets consistently better throughout its first (and only) season. The latter half is mostly good, particularly after Sheba joins the Galactica. On the whole, it feels like a cross between Star Trek (the original series) and Star Wars, and is much recommended. The overarching plot concerns a group of spacefaring humans from a distant galaxy who are all but extinct after a terrible war, and seek to find their distant cousins on Earth. The series ends with them receiving a transmission of the Apollo 11 moon landing.

Then they made the absolutely terrible decision to bring it back two years later, set an unspecified number of decades after the original, after they have found Earth. They dropped most of the original cast, and replaced them with completely unmemorable characters who don't seem to have any personality beyond making markjokes at every opportunity. None of the characters have clear motives for their actions, and the story is told by narrating everything that's about to happen before it actually does. What little isn't foretold is filled in with sci-fi cliches, so the entirety of every episode after the narration is completely pointless.

Oh, and did I mention that the main plot of the series involves a renegade Galactican who travels back in time with the intention of messing with history, yet there are never any visible effects of his actions in the present? How about the fact that Earth gravity is weaker than Galactican gravity, leading to the absolutely hilarious scenes where the protagonists escape law enforcement by leaping into the treetops? Oh, and one of them "accidentally" robs a bank because he thinks pulling out a laser pistol and pointing it at someone holding a bag full of money is a completely innocent gesture. I could go on, but I think I've made my point.

I'll leave you with one of the more memorable scenes from Galactica 1980:

http://ftp.steven-mcdonald.id.au/galactica_children.webm
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Rama Set

« Reply #727 on: September 15, 2014, 02:23:04 PM »
The first two seasons are really great, but after that it's just endless relationship dramas. Why does Sheldon even have a fucking girlfriend? They changed his character at that point, and the show is far worse because of it.

Why are you looking for deep and thoughtful character development in a sitcom?

Because good sitcoms do it.

Some do, some don't.  Seinfeld never really developed character, simply adjusted their circumstances, same with Cheers, MASH, Friends.  All of these were wildly successful in some form.  Rushy is right; the most important criteria for a sitcom is the laugh.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: September 15, 2014, 03:55:27 PM »
Inland Empire (David Lynch)

Anyone who knows me knows I love me some David Lynch. When I first saw Inland Empire a few years ago I had no idea what I was watching, it seemed like a half-baked mish mash of scenes put together by a computer algorithm, some grand statement "I am experimental" from Lynch, who had gone so far with his previous films that there was no way to top them but to, in the tradition of James Joyce, create a final (though from Lynch, I sincerely hope there are more features to come) work so beyond what had come before it that it would keep people guessing for years, decades, centuries to come.

With Lynch it is so very often the second time around that makes a viewer realise the brilliance of the work, whether it is understanding the dream narrative of Mulholland Dr. or unravelling the mystery of "Fred" in Lost Highway, the second viewing can often come across like an essay on the first. Inland Empire goes one step further, it is singular among Lynch's work in that the second viewing is not so much an answerer of questions but a window to an entirely different film. I may still not understand the symbols, the interjections, the parallel narratives, but rather than coming out of it confused I came out uplifted.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: September 15, 2014, 08:30:07 PM »
TBBT is objectively terrible.

Incorrect. It was funny as fuck.

fix'd

The first season was awful, when it was just "Hehe, aren't nerds funny" jokes, then it got better until it reached its natural stopping point which was Howard getting married. Until then all the characters were different, they were together because they were outcasts and they could get away with being dicks because they were naive.

Now, pretty much all the male cast are interchangeable and the female cast are differentiated purely by their one character trait: Penny-Stupid, Amy-Socially awkward, Bernadette... erm... controlling, maybe?

Time to let it die peacefully.

Ghost of V

« Reply #730 on: September 15, 2014, 08:35:26 PM »
TBBT cast make $1million an episode, and people eat it up. The show's not going anywhere. But I agree with all your points.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: September 16, 2014, 02:05:47 AM »
I can also say that I like the show despite an avid physics teacher telling me he met the actor who plays Sheldon and was disappointed to find out the guy was a dick in real life (not the funny kind). This was a while ago, right when the show's first season was airing.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: September 16, 2014, 02:07:50 AM »
I think The Big Bang Theory is funny. Bring it on, haters.

Why am I not surprised?
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Ghost of V

« Reply #733 on: September 16, 2014, 06:12:36 PM »
I can also say that I like the show despite an avid physics teacher telling me he met the actor who plays Sheldon and was disappointed to find out the guy was a dick in real life (not the funny kind). This was a while ago, right when the show's first season was airing.

He's not only a dick. He also likes it.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: September 16, 2014, 07:59:07 PM »
Blackface for nerds

Srsly though, terrible show. Doesn't even get its nerd facts right. I try to watch and they fuck up a Super Mario 64 reference. What shits.
Fact checking a sitcom.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #735 on: September 16, 2014, 08:25:54 PM »
Even in a discussion about this stupid show, markjo still provides the worst post.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: September 16, 2014, 08:31:11 PM »
Even in a discussion about this stupid show, markjo still provides the worst post.

Incorrect.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: September 20, 2014, 07:37:28 PM »
I finished Galactica 1980. I hereby unhesitatingly declare that it is, without a doubt, the worst TV series I have ever made the mistake of deciding to watch.

Every single episode makes its plot painfully obvious from the start. The original Battlestar Galactica included previews of the episode to come at the start too, but just enough to give the viewer an appetite for things to come. 1980 gives away everything at the start.

Part of the problem is that they never introduce any significant complications. The good guys come up with a plan, they execute it, the bad guys practically trip over their own toes, and the plan is successful. But it doesn't feel like a victory when there was nothing in their way at any point.

I honestly wish they'd never tried to bring it back. The original Battlestar Galactica stands quite well on its own.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 07:40:51 PM by Parsifal »
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: September 20, 2014, 07:44:57 PM »
What about the 2004 series?
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Ghost of V

« Reply #739 on: September 20, 2014, 07:46:02 PM »
What about the 2004 series?

2004 series is amazing.