Ghost of V

Re: Just Watched
« Reply #860 on: October 29, 2014, 04:18:50 PM »
All this talk about zombies makes me wonder: where do they all come from?
I get that some people are bit but run away and die.  But they're isolated and easy to spot.  The people who are bit but can't get away are eaten right?  So how do they become a zombie?  Especially when you have a group of zombies attacking a group of humans.  If the humans are overrun, they should be ripped apart and chowed down on.  Just like the horse in walking dead.

And with people who are scared, anyone who looks sick gets isolated quick.  And maybe shot.

So where do all these almost prestine (unchewed) zombies come from?
Depends on the story.

In Walking Dead everyone is already infected with the virus, you just have to die. Shane was the one who made this clear. Rick shot him and then zombieShane.
Except the rest of the world didn't die of natural causes all at once.  How did they die?

This is an interesting question and possibly a huge plot hole.

Where did the initial wave come from? Did God just flip a switch?

If everyone has the zombie virus then why weren't people turning before the initial outbreak?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 04:36:56 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #861 on: October 29, 2014, 04:47:21 PM »

If everyone has the zombie virus then why weren't people turning before the initial outbreak?
It's not technically a plot hole since we just travel with the group and they don't know everything.

Just because the big picture storyline is not completely laid out for the viewer from start to finish doesn't mean it's a plot hole. It's more an unanswered question than a plot hole.

Ghost of V

« Reply #862 on: October 29, 2014, 04:54:33 PM »

It's not technically a plot hole since we just travel with the group and they don't know everything.

Just because the big picture storyline is not completely laid out for the viewer from start to finish doesn't mean it's a plot hole. It's more an unanswered question than a plot hole.

I doubt the story will answer this question either, because it doesn't really make sense... unless everyone got infected at the same time, which would either be an act of God or some sort of space dust virus that somehow contaminated the entire Earth's atmosphere (but the Earth's atompshere doesn't really allow for things like that to survive the trip down, unless it was carried by a meteor). Either way, it's kind of a difficult issue to reconcile with a serious answer because it's so silly. I'm sure the writers of the comics and the show don't know how it started, and they will probably never touch on it. So that kinda makes it a plot hole, unless they plan on answering this question later on.

Many zombie movies/shows/whatever have these kind of plot holes, but the writers try to disguise them as "mysteries to be answered later on" but are never actually answered. Resident Evil is one of the exceptions to this, so is 28 Days Later (which is a pretty good film for the zombie genre, great music too).
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 05:03:51 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #863 on: October 29, 2014, 07:19:37 PM »
I think they do hint at the God theory. But even if it is never answered.. I'm not sure if that does qualify as a plot hole. I always see them as contradictory explanations/occurrences, so not knowing something doesn't equate to a plot hole. I could be wrong, but that's just how I always interpreted it.

Ghost of V

« Reply #864 on: October 29, 2014, 07:44:51 PM »
I think they do hint at the God theory. But even if it is never answered.. I'm not sure if that does qualify as a plot hole. I always see them as contradictory explanations/occurrences, so not knowing something doesn't equate to a plot hole. I could be wrong, but that's just how I always interpreted it.

It does when the writers don't know how it happened either. It's usually considered shitty writing in most mediums when the main focus of the plot is unexplained. It is intentionally left vague and unanswered because the writers themselves do not know how it started. That, to me, is a plot hole. Especially when the vague explanation we are given (everyone has the virus) creates more questions than it answers. If they never plan on addressing these questions (why did the outbreak happen all at once?) then that is a plot hole.

Rama Set

« Reply #865 on: October 29, 2014, 07:56:13 PM »
A plot hole is something relevant to the plot that is missing or inconsistent, like in Iron Man 3, everyone seems to fit perfectly in to the armor designed specially to fit Tony Stark.

For me, the answer to the question of where the zombies came from is kind of irrelevant, unless they want to make that a story arc.  For the record, I think they should, because the "we are survivors" story line is wearing very thin.

Ghost of V

« Reply #866 on: October 29, 2014, 07:58:23 PM »
A plot hole is something relevant to the plot that is missing or inconsistent, like in Iron Man 3, everyone seems to fit perfectly in to the armor designed specially to fit Tony Stark.

For me, the answer to the question of where the zombies came from is kind of irrelevant, unless they want to make that a story arc.  For the record, I think they should, because the "we are survivors" story line is wearing very thin.

"Everyone has the virus" was a small storyarc in the first two seasons. The questions brought up from that are never explained.

I think this might be why I generally don't like zombie stuff.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 08:15:58 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #867 on: October 29, 2014, 09:10:17 PM »
like in Iron Man 3, everyone seems to fit perfectly in to the armor designed specially to fit Tony Stark.
Yes, that is a plot hole.

But if we're shown a very narrow perspective then I don't see how it's considered a plot hole. Like in The Road - we experience the apocalypse and the new world through the eyes of a man and his son. We never find out what really happened but how can we expect some random dude to know all the answers? So if the random guy doesn't know what happened then neither do we. To me, that's not a plot hole.

It's not to say the writers don't know. Maybe they do. Or maybe it just doesn't matter because we have such a narrow perspective of the story.

Ghost of V

« Reply #868 on: October 29, 2014, 09:14:40 PM »
Or maybe it just doesn't matter because we have such a narrow perspective of the story.

Seems like pretty lazy writing to me.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #869 on: October 29, 2014, 09:16:25 PM »
Or maybe it just doesn't matter because we have such a narrow perspective of the story.

Seems like pretty lazy writing to me.
It's really just a style of story-telling and they're generally my favorites, but okay.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #870 on: October 29, 2014, 11:26:54 PM »
No zombie story using viruses makes sense because we already have a "zombie" virus called rabies and even before the vaccine it did not kill the entire planet in a matter of months.

This is probably bait, but your an retart anyway.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: October 29, 2014, 11:29:47 PM »
No zombie story using viruses makes sense because we already have a "zombie" virus called rabies and even before the vaccine it did not kill the entire planet in a matter of months.

This is probably bait, but your an retart anyway.

We already have a dedicated thread for this bait in CN.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: October 30, 2014, 12:37:58 AM »
Apparently everything I say becomes "bait" after an argument ensues and I dominate every poster in the thread.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #873 on: October 30, 2014, 12:48:43 AM »
Apparently everything I say becomes "bait" after an argument ensues and I dominate every poster in the thread.

It's because you're bad at arguing, so you usually pick a little irrelevant detail out of someone's post to argue about instead of staying on topic. So, now it seems like a lot of forum goers are just calling you a troll or a pedant and leaving it at that. That's pretty much what you are anyway.

Ghost of V

« Reply #874 on: October 30, 2014, 01:01:31 AM »
shit's personal now

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: October 30, 2014, 01:06:13 AM »
It's because you're bad at arguing, so you usually pick a little irrelevant detail out of someone's post to argue about instead of staying on topic. So, now it seems like a lot of forum goers are just calling you a troll or a pedant and leaving it at that. That's pretty much what you are anyway.

why u mad bro

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #876 on: October 30, 2014, 02:22:22 AM »
All right, that's enough of that.  Behold, not one, but two deluges of superhero crap:

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2014/10/marvel_vs_dc_comics_which_movi.html

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: October 30, 2014, 02:30:31 AM »
"Black Panther" (Nov. 3, 2017)

Uhh.

Ghost of V

« Reply #878 on: October 30, 2014, 02:32:12 AM »
I had no interest in Doctor Strange until Benedict Cumberbatch was announced as the titular character.

Now I must see it.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: October 30, 2014, 01:37:04 PM »
Just started watching Firefly. I can see why it was cancelled, the budget spent on every episode must have ben enormous.