Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
Adding an email account to messaging apps
« on: July 25, 2014, 02:11:19 AM »
Seeing as Thork has reservations about revealing his mobile phone number to the rest of the Zetetic Council, I suggested texting to an email account.  Unfortunately, this was misunderstood as sending an email via text.  This is not what I had in mind.  Rather, I was suggesting that an email account be added to the messaging app.  This means that, rather than using your phone number, the messaging app uses an email address.  For example, I can send and receive texts on my iphone by my cell number, Apple ID, or two other non-Apple ID email addresses.

How to add multiple email address to iMessage on iPhone and iPad

1 Launch the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad.
    2 Scroll down and tap on Messages.
    3 Now tap on Send & Receive.
    4 Select Add Another Email... underneath the You can be reached by iMessage at: section.
    5 Type in the email you'd like to add and hit return on your keyboard.

It seems that Android and Windows phones should have similar capabilities.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Thork

Re: Adding an email account to messaging apps
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 02:55:30 AM »
I have a Windows phone, its not an iPhone. Are you making this thread because you tried to embarrass me and ended up looking pretty silly?

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 03:30:05 AM »
Oh look, yet another way to have non-synchronous communication. How delightfully droll.

Ghost of V

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 03:30:59 AM »
What exactly do you need to talk about that can't be discussed via PM or through the forum itself? Seems like a weird Bishop request.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 03:33:04 AM »
I have a Windows phone, its not an iPhone. Are you making this thread because you tried to embarrass me and ended up looking pretty silly?
No, I'm trying to offer you a way to text without giving out your phone number.  I'm sure that Windows phone has the same ability to use an email address for texting that iPhone and Android have.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 03:50:05 AM »
What exactly do you need to talk about that can't be discussed via PM or through the forum itself? Seems like a weird Bishop request.
I think the idea was that ZC members could poke each other when some of them get inactive and their votes/input are needed.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 05:36:58 AM »
Seeing as Thork has reservations about revealing his mobile phone number to the rest of the Zetetic Council, I suggested texting to an email account.  Unfortunately, this was misunderstood as sending an email via text.  This is not what I had in mind.  Rather, I was suggesting that an email account be added to the messaging app.  This means that, rather than using your phone number, the messaging app uses an email address.  For example, I can send and receive texts on my iphone by my cell number, Apple ID, or two other non-Apple ID email addresses.

How to add multiple email address to iMessage on iPhone and iPad

1 Launch the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad.
    2 Scroll down and tap on Messages.
    3 Now tap on Send & Receive.
    4 Select Add Another Email... underneath the You can be reached by iMessage at: section.
    5 Type in the email you'd like to add and hit return on your keyboard.

It seems that Android and Windows phones should have similar capabilities.

But Thork doesn't have iMessage. Your email address is useless for texting with him.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 09:12:38 AM »
I still don't understand why we can't just all standardise on XMPP. SMS is so dated.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 03:48:25 PM »
Everybody should just get BBM messenger, it's available for all platforms, and you don't have to give out your phone number. Also, it's probably the best messaging system out there for phones, because it's the one thing that blackberry did right.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 05:06:17 PM »
Everybody should just get BBM messenger, it's available for all platforms, and you don't have to give out your phone number. Also, it's probably the best messaging system out there for phones, because it's the one thing that blackberry did right.
I don't believe tom has a smart phone.  Hence the problem.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 05:15:02 PM »
Ah, I see. Well then I suppose there's no solution unless someone wants to gift Tom with a phone/tablet/ipod touch capable of using apps.

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 09:53:49 PM »
The messaging platform that everyone should be using is hangouts.

iMessage is cool, as long as you are only interested in messaging iPhone users.

BBM Messenger is cool, but nobody uses it and god it's ugly.

Hangouts is on iPhone and Android and you can use it from any computer. It also has hangout video chats which allows up to 10 people to all be videochatting at the same time. The videochat functionality uses Web RTC too which means that nobody has to install any software for it to work.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 12:07:50 AM »

No, let's not lock ourselves into one vendor's proprietary solution.

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 12:08:08 AM »

No.
Yes

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 12:10:04 AM »
Hangouts is on iPhone and Android and you can use it from any computer. It also has hangout video chats which allows up to 10 people to all be videochatting at the same time. The videochat functionality uses Web RTC too which means that nobody has to install any software for it to work.
So, in what way is it a more appropriate text messaging platform than XMPP?
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 12:18:39 AM »
All the services that were plugging into it have been slowly ditching it for years. I mean, you can use what you want. It's not like I have any interest at all in participating in whatever it is you are doing. I'm just offering an opinion and I like hangouts because it is fast, reliable and easy to access. The video service is second to none and every hangout can be published into a YouTube video as well.

The messaging in general across the whole internet is getting annoying though. There are too many competing standards and stubborn users who think everyone else should be using the messaging app that they like. Myself included. It's only getting worse too.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 12:25:14 AM »
All the services that were plugging into it have been slowly ditching it for years. I mean, you can use what you want. It's not like I have any interest at all in participating in whatever it is you are doing. I'm just offering an opinion and I like hangouts because it is fast, reliable and easy to access. The video service is second to none and every hangout can be published into a YouTube video as well.

That doesn't answer pizaaplanet's question.

The messaging in general across the whole internet is getting annoying though. There are too many competing standards and stubborn users who think everyone else should be using the messaging app that they like. Myself included. It's only getting worse too.

Which XMPP solves, since it isn't a "messaging app", but a protocol that any app can implement.

Can you please answer the question now?

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 12:27:52 AM »

That doesn't answer pizaaplanet's question.

Which XMPP solves, since it isn't a "messaging app", but a protocol that any app can implement.

Can you please answer the question now?
Sounds like you are trying to have a debate. I'm sorry that I don't care.

And xmpp does not solve this problem. People don't want to use apps that use xmpp. People want to use hangouts, Skype, Facebook messenger, bbm, Snapchat and imessage. Go ahead and get your jabber on. Nobody wants that shit.

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 12:35:11 AM »
Here's the highest rated xmpp app in the play store.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xabber.android

A very small minority of people care about xmpp enough to consider installing something so horrendous on their device.

It tried to become a standard. It succeeded for a while. Then AOL became irrelevant and google talk gave it up too and the game was over.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2014, 01:00:01 AM »
Yes, I'm well aware that XMPP isn't widely accepted as a standard. That's irrelevant to my claim that it would be a far better standard than anything we have currently. Pointing out that specific apps which implement XMPP aren't popular is missing the point.