pj1

Ice wall circumference versus RE Antarctica circumference
« on: July 23, 2018, 10:02:08 AM »
Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, I won't actually be conducting this research!

Just trying to get my head around the FE ice wall versus RE Antarctica. Am I right in thinking that the circumference of the ice wall (surrounding the Earth) would be far, far greater than the circumference of the RE Antarctica?

So assuming we mere mortals can't access the Antarctica itself (at least without special dispensation from the EU) could we theoretically sail the perimeter? In doing so, could we measure the distance sailed - perhaps using traditional knots rather than GPS - and identify which model is most likely accurate?

Thanks!

Offline edby

• View Profile
Re: Ice wall circumference versus RE Antarctica circumference
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 10:20:50 AM »
Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, I won't actually be conducting this research!

Just trying to get my head around the FE ice wall versus RE Antarctica. Am I right in thinking that the circumference of the ice wall (surrounding the Earth) would be far, far greater than the circumference of the RE Antarctica?

So assuming we mere mortals can't access the Antarctica itself (at least without special dispensation from the EU) could we theoretically sail the perimeter? In doing so, could we measure the distance sailed - perhaps using traditional knots rather than GPS - and identify which model is most likely accurate?

Thanks!

Antartica has an irregular shape, but I used the 70th parallel as a proxy. The circumference of the parallel using RE estimate is 8,900km, whereas the FE estimate (using the monopole map) is about 71,000 km. Quite a difference. It would clearly be possible to take part of that distance and check with sailing times.

pj1

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 10:26:59 AM »
Antartica has an irregular shape, but I used the 70th parallel as a proxy. The circumference of the parallel using RE estimate is 8,900km, whereas the FE estimate (using the monopole map) is about 71,000 km. Quite a difference. It would clearly be possible to take part of that distance and check with sailing times.

EDIT: Thanks, Edby. I would take this as pretty compelling evidence if it could be physically verified.

Perhaps someone has a counter-argument?  Fingers crossed we don't need to resort to armed soldiers.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 10:37:19 AM by pj1 »

Offline edby

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 10:48:21 AM »

EDIT: Thanks, Edby. I would take this as pretty compelling evidence if it could be physically verified.

Perhaps someone has a counter-argument?  Fingers crossed we don't need to resort to armed soldiers.
I think the arguments are clear. The question is purely a matter of empirical investigation and measurement.

Offline edby

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 10:57:38 AM »
I found this https://annemargaretha.com/sailing-program-2017-2018/antarctica-2017-2018 sailing trip, no idea of expense. The problem is that many of the places are along the same line of longitude, however there is

Wiencke Island  -64.836481, -63.398436
Cuverville Island -64.692217, -62.611815

RE distance is 41km, FE distance (monopole map) 237km. Given the massive discrepancy, it would be easy to verify which is correct. Might be simpler to acquire a survey map of the area though.

Only slight problem that to get there by sailing boat you have to cross the infamous Drake passage of Cape Horn, in the most potentially violent seas in the world. The video below gives a sense. Look how she is heeling. I have sailed in a few places but nothing like that.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 11:04:57 AM by edby »

Offline edby

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 12:53:25 PM »
And here is a chart of the Antarctic peninsula (below). Ignore the curvy lines which represent magnetic position, and focus on the dotted grey coordinate lines. Each square rectangle represents one degree of latitude and longitude. Consider that at 65S, one degree of longitude RE is 47km, whereas the FE equivalent (monopole map) is 300km, and the discrepancy gets greater the further south you travel. E.g. at 70S, it is 38km vs 310km. This means (i) that the shape of the survey map is completely wrong and (ii) that if we could charter a boat to the peninsula, we could survey it ourselves to see if there is a discrepancy.

If the former, then the surveyors themselves are in on the conspiracy. To check the latter, we would need representatives from both FE and RE to be included in the trip. Don’t fancy the Drake passage though, and my wife has already strongly objected, saying I can go on my own, and could we sort out the will situation with the solicitor beforehand.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 01:00:01 PM by edby »

Offline edby

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 01:41:46 PM »
Another experiment. Below is a picture of Brabant Island (64.25S, 62.33W) ‘seen from northeast, with Hoseason Island and Liège Island in the foreground, and Anvers Island (on the right) and Antarctic Peninsula in the background’, according to Wikipedia.

The coordinates agree with the map I uploaded above, as to the relevant positions of Hoseason Island, Liège Island etc. From the map, the length and width of the island come to about 55km long and 28km wide, which roughly agrees with Wikipedia.

However the corresponding monopole FE dimensions of the island are 55km long vs 180km wide, i.e. much wider than it is long, whereas the RE estimate has longer than wide. Given that the photo faces south west, I would appreciate views from both sides on which estimate is a better fit.

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 12:39:19 PM »

Thanks!
using the monopole map

not sure thats the best assumption to make, i dont think the monopole map is followed as much, specifically on this forum.
Quote from: SiDawg
Planes fall out of the sky all the time

pj1

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 12:50:58 PM »

Thanks!
using the monopole map

not sure thats the best assumption to make, i dont think the monopole map is followed as much, specifically on this forum.

Based on the Wiki: "the earth is in the form of a disk with the North Pole in the center and Antarctica as a wall around the edge. This is the generally accepted model among members of the society. In this model, circumnavigation is performed by moving in a great circle around the North Pole"

Is there another map for reference?

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 12:59:05 PM »

Thanks!
using the monopole map

Based on the Wiki: "the earth is in the form of a disk with the North Pole in the center and Antarctica as a wall around the edge. This is the generally accepted model among members of the society. In this model, circumnavigation is performed by moving in a great circle around the North Pole"

Is there another map for reference?
the two pole model, which from my experience so far on this specific forum seems to be the most followed.  a lot of the wiki was copied over from the old website i believe and slowly being updated.  that said, i am pretty new here so will defer to the others to chime in. 
Quote from: SiDawg
Planes fall out of the sky all the time

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2018, 07:38:26 PM »
 Circumnavigation is performed by moving in a great circle for both FE and RE models.
The hallmark of true science is repeatability to the point of accurate prediction.