Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
Ordered a new computer
« on: April 25, 2018, 03:51:21 PM »
So wanted a new computer. Actually I wanted a 4k monitor, and that was £400-£600 so thought to hell with it, I'll get an AIO.

Opted for a Dell Inspiron 27 7775.

Ryzen 1400
RX 580
8 GB DDR4 2400 Ram
128 Gb SSD
1TB HDD
Wireless card
Wondows 10
27" UHD (3840x2160) display
Shitty mouse and keyboard that I won't use.

(Click for big)

Total cost: £714.

The screen and GPU are worth about that on their own so pretty happy with the deal. I'll use it mostly for light work (Excel, web design, browsing, watching youtube), I might buy some games but 1080p is enough for me and I prefer less demanding games like e-sports titles and Tekken ... that kind of thing. This is more than enough machine for me ... it needs a name ... I'm not sure about that yet.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 03:59:09 PM by Baby Thork »
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
Re: Ordered a new computer
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 04:13:55 PM »
I should probably add, this is the first PC I haven't built myself for about 20 years.

This is mostly down to economics. GPU prices, RAM prices etc ... they are stupid right now and so it isn't possible to build a PC for anywhere near the price that the large retailers can. My top tip if you want to build a PC is become your own breaker.
Go to an outlet store and get a refurbished or scratch and dent type PC. Pick one with all the specs you want. It'll cost about half. Then use a bit of the cash you have left over to buy a new case, some RGB, cooling, whatever and then transplant the gubbings across. You'll save hundreds of dollars and you know all the parts will work first time as it has already been tested.
http://outlet.us.dell.com/ArbOnlineSales/Online/InventorySearch.aspx?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh&brandid=2202&sign=PXhcOSHtr1T4IOw%2fPR7UdfVNBAjJ6V7ceOFKXGOeFVYVYXOpRltf2KfjtVs4o4kpzLB4ISiTmrVBJpYNN9HbX%2fUkwG6tmx7LbVACedRxOcQBfXyL5PhNKBQRGJQqSn3S4AXazoZddFjRdxqTI%2bjXd87XIQeEqCzpQqNuocuowKVA6wJVYxFCoPgzY5ImBPc6mpWi6bzRYKDEmyRgwtcUcR9vzvTDnzQ1S%2b9i6u4yp9pAUje2eYJS4w%3d%3d

Refurbs with latest gen parts tend to be pretty much as new (guaranteed no scratches in the screen, all parts work, is clean, etc) and most likely just something someone opened and sent straight back if it has new components. Which is what I opted for here. Comes with a warranty from Dell as well. The PC I bought is £1,399 as new, so yeah, around half the cost.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 04:19:08 PM by Baby Thork »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 04:24:32 PM »
Is that one of those "All in One" things?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 04:25:25 PM »
Yeah, its an iMac for people who hate Apple.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 05:37:38 PM »
Thork, I hate to tell you this but Wondows 10 is not a real operating system. You've been scammed.

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 06:05:30 PM »
I'd rather have Wondows than Lonix.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 08:59:15 PM »
tfw it's 2018 so you buy a computer with a 4K monitor and 8 GiB of RAM

What's next on the list, an ethanol-powered Ferrari?
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 09:39:16 PM »
I don't really need more than 8Gb. The only time I would might be a game ... but the graphics card is 8gb VRAM. If I had a GTX 1060 3GB, the RAM may be an issue, but not with that card.

Also, this AIO is a little unusual in that it is easy to upgrade in the future. I can add RAM (its not soldered), change the hard drives, change out the CPU for any 65W AM4 thing in the future ... the only thing I can't upgrade is the graphics chip ... and this one will be fine for me for years. I don't game much.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 09:44:58 PM by Baby Thork »

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 06:02:05 AM »
I don't really need more than 8Gb. The only time I would might be a game ... but the graphics card is 8gb VRAM. If I had a GTX 1060 3GB, the RAM may be an issue, but not with that card.

How are you always so terrible at understanding everything
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 06:10:56 AM »
Ssooo...
Super thin
High powered.
Lots of ram.
Not enough vents.

Something tells me this is gonna either be super under powered due to heat issues or it'll have issues sooner than others due to constant high heat.

But yes, Parsifal is right.  You're getting a 4K tv to go with your 2005 DVD player.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 07:05:39 AM »
Oh for fuck's sake, not another Thork thread where he says stupid things about technology and tricks everyone into responding for weeks.

Let the man spend his money however he wants. He's clearly not interested in actual technical expertise and just wants to feel good about the product he's bought. Let him have it. I'm sure it will work well enough for his needs - so what if he could have got something better at no extra cost?

Thork, I suggest you name the machine Denny, in the honour of my favourite character from The Room.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 07:08:29 AM by Pete Svarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Devils Advocate

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2018, 08:46:04 AM »
it needs a name ... I'm not sure about that yet.

My computers are called "You F******g C***s" because the only time I talk to them is when they are not working properly

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2018, 09:05:23 AM »
Let the man spend his money however he wants. He's clearly not interested in actual technical expertise and just wants to feel good about the product he's bought. Let him have it. I'm sure it will work well enough for his needs - so what if he could have got something better at no extra cost?
Like what?

Spent £714. What could I have got that was better for no extra cost bearing in mind I wanted a new 4k screen into the bargain.

Ssooo...
Super thin
High powered.
Lots of ram.
Not enough vents.

Something tells me this is gonna either be super under powered due to heat issues or it'll have issues sooner than others due to constant high heat.
Well it isn't underpowered. It'll beat out any iMac with the exception of the iMac Pro that starts at £5000 and has a disease for an operating system.

But yes, Parsifal is right.  You're getting a 4K tv to go with your 2005 DVD player.
I don't understand this analogy at all? This is a mid range PC to run a 4k screen. I don't see the problem here. I can watch 4 vids on it and edit 4k images which I need to do for work ... and it is a competent computer as well, to do all the stuff I need.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2018, 09:07:24 AM »
Like what?

Spent £714. What could I have got that was better for no extra cost bearing in mind I wanted a new 4k screen into the bargain.
No, I'm not gonna fall for that again. You've already made your purchase, there's no point in arguing, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it greatly.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2018, 09:26:40 AM »
???

I don't want to argue. I'm just interested.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2018, 11:04:22 AM »
Ssooo...
Super thin
High powered.
Lots of ram.
Not enough vents.

Well it isn't underpowered. It'll beat out any iMac with the exception of the iMac Pro that starts at £5000 and has a disease for an operating system.
So the specs would have you believe.  But I'm having difficulty wrapping my head around the heat issue.  I mean, how DO they solve the tight space and large heat generation that comes with more power?  Very powerful fan?  Super efficient processors?  I don't know but I remember you loving very quiet computers and I'm curious if you'll find this to be as quiet as you need.

I don't understand this analogy at all? This is a mid range PC to run a 4k screen. I don't see the problem here. I can watch 4 vids on it and edit 4k images which I need to do for work ... and it is a competent computer as well, to do all the stuff I need.
Ok, if you need to edit 4k images for work then that's another story.  But from what you posted earlier, it sounded like you bought a VR ready 4k computer but had no intention of using anything that would run at 4k.  ie. a 4k TV to run a DVD whose resolution is 640x480 or even require that much raw power.

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2018, 11:44:37 AM »
Oh, yeah no 4k was a must as I need to test websites in 4k these days and have retina ready images. I can always downscale to 1080p to see what that looks like too, but I can't upscale my current monitor. 4k is the reason I had to purchase. I could have just got a monitor, but it wasn't a huge amount more for an entire PC and my little NUC is getting long in the tooth with its dual core CPU.

Heat.
Yeah, I do like my computer to stfu whilst I'm working. This thing has heat pipes. Whilst working, it should be relatively quiet because I won't be asking much of the graphics card. When I play a game, the fan will ramp up, but I won't be able to hear that over the sound of all that victory.
The processor is 65W which should be fine. I won't overclock it and have little need to push it to 100% during the day. I use a 1.8 boosting to 2.9 dual core i5 right now and its fine. The graphics card is the laptop version ... ie it runs 110W instead of 180W TDP. This will probably amount to about a 25% hit on graphics, but I don't have extreme requirements. I'm moving up from intel 540 HD graphics after all. It should be a huge improvement. It'll still be better than a 1050ti would perform and that would have been my choice for a desktop build based on my requirements.

Small is always a premium. But I built a shuttle when they first came out, I have a NUC now, I had 2 other small form factor PCs as well. I haven't had a tower in over 10 years. I just don't need workstation horsepower and put my focus onto things that don't take up a lot of real estate. This same machine can be specced with a 1700 8 core Ryzen as well (twice as many cores and higher base clock), so it wont be the hottest version of this machine they sell.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 11:49:40 AM by Baby Thork »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2018, 12:56:20 PM »
Eh, heat pipes usually means it's got one or two central fans that blast air out over the fins.  Alot of laptops use this since they want heat to run out of the side and not the bottom. (since bottom means more heat buildup or a hot lap) 

Still, hope you're satisfied with it once you get it. 

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2018, 01:30:37 PM »
Is basically a big laptop without a keyboard. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2018, 02:05:16 PM »
I think reading this conversation between Dave and Thork actually killed some portion of my brain.