Offline jimster

• View Profile
Moons of Jupiter
« on: December 20, 2021, 10:29:09 PM »
Astronomers since Gallileo looked at Jupiter and saw moons orbiting it, going across the planet and appearing to circle around behind and appear at the other side of the planet. Jupiter is a wandering star, planets do no follow the star trails that the stars do, and it looks to have moons orbiting it.

My question is, is the dome flat (2d) or is there depth to it such that round things can orbit other round things, presumably at or near the dome? Can there be a sort of miniature RE thing going on at the dome, or is Jupiter and the moon flat and 2d? Perhaps the dome has miniature RE things, but earth is flat?
I am really curious about so many FE things, like how at sunset in Denver, people in St Louis see the dome as dark with stars, while people in Salt Lake City see the same dome as light blue. FE scientists don't know or won't tell me.

Re: Moons of Jupiter
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2021, 10:34:20 PM »
Good question.  The FAQ says that the Earth is the center of everything above it, and needn't be like planets.  But it doesn't address how a planet's moons work, so I'm waiting with 'bated breath to hear the explanation of why gravity is a thing above us but not here on Earth.