Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: Superhero Movies & Comics General
« Reply #560 on: December 16, 2016, 02:55:28 PM »
Abortion?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: December 17, 2016, 06:24:51 PM »
Speaking of Suicide Squad...

Haley Quinn is getting her own solo movie and she'll be Hella Gay.

Side note: I remember watching Batman: The Aminated Series growing up.  I never knew Harley Quinn was created in that series.  Kinda gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling seeing the first iteration of a character when it was new.

Ugh...I like this idea in concept, but with Ayer on board it's probably just gonna end up being Harley and Ivy fetishized and being all sexy for the viewer, rather than depicting an actual decent lesbian relationship. We'll see.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Rama Set

« Reply #562 on: December 17, 2016, 07:01:46 PM »
I watched Suicide Squad last night. What an unmitigated piece of shit.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: December 17, 2016, 07:31:18 PM »
Speaking of Suicide Squad...

Haley Quinn is getting her own solo movie and she'll be Hella Gay.

Side note: I remember watching Batman: The Aminated Series growing up.  I never knew Harley Quinn was created in that series.  Kinda gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling seeing the first iteration of a character when it was new.

Ugh...I like this idea in concept, but with Ayer on board it's probably just gonna end up being Harley and Ivy fetishized and being all sexy for the viewer, rather than depicting an actual decent lesbian relationship. We'll see.
Harley, Ivy, and Cat Woman.
But yeah, it probably will be but I'm pretty sure the comic was too.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: December 17, 2016, 07:33:49 PM »
I watched Suicide Squad last night. What an unmitigated piece of shit.

Bro, did you even read what I said before? You have to be hammered the first time you watch it. Then, to preserve the experience, never watch it again. I watched it again and realized it was an unmitigated piece of shit as well. You could have avoided this. You will never get that time back.

George

« Reply #565 on: December 17, 2016, 11:07:19 PM »
Now we are getting somewhere. I think this Spiderman movie has an interesting backstory. Especially with Sony and the weird licensing agreement, and how the last trilogy got nixed, etc. This iteration of Spiderman was the highlight of Avengers 2.5 aka CA: Civil War (which was a very mediocre installment on the whole). I am really looking forward to this one.

EDIT - Spiderman is objectively the best superhero ever.

ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Batman is the best capeshitter.  Yes, he's even more overexposed than Spidey, but I don't care, because he's awesome.  Who else could pull off a stunt like this?

And he's badass.  He could easily whup Spidey's ass - and yes, I know that ScrewAttack said that he'd lose if the two of them fought, but that's bullshit.  Batman can beat anyone as long as he has time to prepare.  The only two people who could beat him are Wesley Willis and Jackie Chan if he were frantically trying to juggle a baby or priceless artifact.  beardo will back me up on this.

As for Gotham City Sirens, I would be extremely surprised if they included the romance between Harley and Ivy at all.  Harley and Joker is the relationship that's famous, so that's the one they're most likely going to be counting on to bring audiences in.

Rama Set

« Reply #566 on: December 18, 2016, 01:08:32 AM »
The "batman can beat anyone as long as he has time to prepare" argument is fucking dumb.  It is basically a tautology.  Besides there are a goodly number of people Batman wouldn't stand a prayer against with his whole life to prepare i.e. Scarlet Witch, Franklin Richards, Silver Surfer...  I would cite DC characters, but they suck and I don't read their shitty comics.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #567 on: December 18, 2016, 07:32:27 AM »
ouch
The Mastery.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: December 18, 2016, 02:02:05 PM »
The "batman can beat anyone as long as he has time to prepare" argument is fucking dumb.  It is basically a tautology.  Besides there are a goodly number of people Batman wouldn't stand a prayer against with his whole life to prepare i.e. Scarlet Witch, Franklin Richards, Silver Surfer...  I would cite DC characters, but they suck and I don't read their shitty comics.

"Here's a bunch of checkers moves that would totally beat this chess strategy."

George

« Reply #569 on: December 28, 2016, 05:24:33 AM »
The "batman can beat anyone as long as he has time to prepare" argument...is basically a tautology.

Indeed!

Besides there are a goodly number of people Batman wouldn't stand a prayer against with his whole life to prepare i.e. Scarlet Witch, Franklin Richards, Silver Surfer...

He'd find a way to beat them, because he's the goddamn Batman.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: January 13, 2017, 04:05:17 AM »
I suppose I might as well talk about Batman video games here. Arkham Knight is fun - when it actually works. I've had to reinstall it three times so far because of the game suddenly declaring that it's corrupted and refusing to work. And this is on PS4, too, so they don't even have the excuse of it being a bad port. Unbelievable.

I can offer more complete thoughts on Telltale's new Batman game. It's good! It's my first Telltale game, but from what I've read online, it is more or less the same as any other Telltale game from a technical perspective, and it does have its own share of annoying bugs and glitches, although I can't bring myself to complain about that, given my current struggles with Arkham Knight. My favorite part is actually how it puts the focus on Bruce Wayne rather than Batman. It makes a lot of sense when you consider that the action scenes, although cool-looking, are of course just QTEs. There's no point in trying to compete with the Arkham series with that, so they don't. The real meat of the game is how you handle your personal and professional life as Bruce, and to that end, there's plenty of sharp dialogue, difficult decision-making, and rich character development. The one thing I will criticize it for, beyond the aforementioned technical issues, is that there are quite a few moments in the story that don't really make sense or aren't properly explained. But that's just a minor issue. I enjoyed this a lot, and I'd be delighted to see a second season.

http://deadline.com/2017/01/green-lantern-corps-warner-bros-david-goyer-justin-rhodes-dc-1201884133/

David Goyer to write the script

For fuck's sake, WB.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 10:31:51 PM by honk »

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: January 31, 2017, 03:44:35 AM »
On the notion of more DCEU news:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/dwayne-johnson-is-getting-his-own-dc-solo-film-1791392844

I guess this isn't a bad idea. No sense in sidelining Dwayne Johnson for the next few years when he's ready to make a movie with you right now. And in absolutely terrible news:

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/ben-affleck-the-batman-will-not-direct-1201971566/

God fucking damn it. Yeah, it's possible that he means no more than what he said in the statement he provided about simply being unable to both direct and star, but this being Hollywood, it could just as easily be code for "This is a fucking dumpster fire and I don't want to be associated with it any more than I have to." Everything is awful.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: February 01, 2017, 07:51:51 AM »
I mean, I wouldn't be shocked if it honestly were just the pressure of it all. That's a lot of pressure to work under, especially since a ton of people (including myself) are looking to this movie eagerly as hopefully a sort of shining light in the DCCU.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: February 01, 2017, 11:11:02 AM »
I mean, I wouldn't be shocked if it honestly were just the pressure of it all. That's a lot of pressure to work under, especially since a ton of people (including myself) are looking to this movie eagerly as hopefully a sort of shining light in the DCCU.

In fairness, it doesn't have to do much to be a shining light in the DC project at the moment.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: February 01, 2017, 10:15:06 PM »
Sure, but I don't think that'd lessen the pressure much for him.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: February 16, 2017, 03:13:25 AM »
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/batman-movie-director-matt-reeves-talks-ben-affleck-departs-as-helmer-972900

That's interesting. Also, behold the think pieces that have resulted from The Lego Batman Movie's release!

https://www.wired.com/2017/02/fun-batman-vs-dark-batman/
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2017/02/10/the_lego_batman_movie_embraces_the_character_s_campy_history_including_the.html
http://www.avclub.com/article/and-why-doesnt-batman-dance-anymore-importance-dar-250064
http://www.vulture.com/2017/02/what-lego-batman-gets-about-batman-that-zack-snyder-doesnt.html

That last one links to another great article from a few years ago about Hollywood's overreliance on Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns and Batman: Year One whenever it adapts Batman to film.

In other news, there's a rumor that Affleck may want to stop being Batman, and WB is apparently interested in getting Mel Gibson, of all people, to direct Suicide Squad's sequel. Yes, that piece of shit is getting a sequel.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: February 17, 2017, 10:36:37 AM »
WB is apparently interested in getting Mel Gibson, of all people, to direct Suicide Squad's sequel. Yes, that piece of shit is getting a sequel.

Gibson is good at doing large-scale chaotic action stuff, which could be highly beneficial for the sequel to what was rather a soporific squib.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 05:58:24 PM by Crudblud »

totallackey

« Reply #577 on: February 17, 2017, 04:52:06 PM »
Something worth seeing at the movies, rather than waiting for release on DVD

Maybe you guys can grow up and start watching Marvel.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: February 17, 2017, 07:57:43 PM »
start watching Marvel

>implying

Logan does look pretty cool, although I'll never stop being amused at how utterly warped the continuity of Fox's capeshit is.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: February 18, 2017, 04:04:37 AM »
Er...you realize most of us watch Marvel, right?

Also >implying Fox's Marvel movies are grown up

They're often shitty edgelord wankfests, just on a smaller scale than DC's.