Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: LGBT School Teachers
« Reply #200 on: April 02, 2022, 06:08:52 PM »
I finally watched the vid because I was bored. It didn't strike me that she was talking about "sexuality", more that she specifically mentioned that during the "Get to know your teacher" thing at the beginning of the school year she is not allowed to mention that she is married. Regardless of who she is married to. I guess the same goes for all teachers? All marriages? They are not allowed to mention that they are married?
That would be the only way to get the law in.  Otherwise its discrimination and unconstitutional.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 02, 2022, 06:19:41 PM »
I finally watched the vid because I was bored. It didn't strike me that she was talking about "sexuality", more that she specifically mentioned that during the "Get to know your teacher" thing at the beginning of the school year she is not allowed to mention that she is married. Regardless of who she is married to. I guess the same goes for all teachers? All marriages? They are not allowed to mention that they are married?

"do I invalidate my spouses stance as a trans-fem person? or do I put my job on the line to introduce myself?"

Yeah, she want to talk to kids about her spouse being a trans-fem person and about how she is a lesbian. Being introduced to the teacher's sexual preferences is inappropriate for the first grade.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 02, 2022, 06:35:37 PM »
And yet teachers talk about being married or having kids with zero hesitation all over the country. That is not something that these laws have been designed to address or will address.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 02, 2022, 06:41:34 PM »
Just curious, Tom, have you ever raised children?  Taught children?  Have you ever lived with a first grader?

Do you have any qualification regarding children that would make your opinion mean something?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 02, 2022, 07:13:13 PM »

"do I invalidate my spouses stance as a trans-fem person? or do I put my job on the line to introduce myself?"

Yeah, she want to talk to kids about her spouse being a trans-fem person and about how she is a lesbian. Being introduced to the teacher's sexual preferences is inappropriate for the first grade.

I didn't see where she said "I want to specifically proclaim to the class my spouse is trans-fem" or, "Btw class, I'm a LESBIAN!". What's interesting to me is that 1st grade teacher, Mr. Smith, can't have a picture of his wife and kids on his desk? Or if he can, if asked anything about it by a student he has to say, "Sorry Timmy, I can't talk about that..."?

A close friend of mine is a 2nd grade teacher in a pub school in New England. She has taught 1st as well. Sometimes there are events, like school plays, sports and such, where her boyfriend accompanies her. In FLA, would he not be able to attend such a function? If a kid asks her who he is she has to say, "Sorry Timmy, I can't talk about that..."?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 02, 2022, 07:27:56 PM »
And yet teachers talk about being married or having kids with zero hesitation all over the country. That is not something that these laws have been designed to address or will address.

I distinctly remember my elementary school teachers responding that "that's personal" or "that is an inappropriate subject to talk about" when someone in the class asked if they had a boyfriend. That is the professional response.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 02, 2022, 07:29:43 PM »

I distinctly remember my elementary school teachers responding that "that's personal" or "that is an inappropriate subject to talk about" when someone in the class asked if they had a boyfriend. That is the professional response.

I would expect that response in the 1940's.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 02, 2022, 07:49:01 PM »

I would expect that response in the 1940's.

You would be wrong then. Teacher resource study.com suggests doing the same, for all levels of student-teacher interaction.

https://study.com/blog/how-open-should-you-be-with-your-students-about-your-personal-life.html

« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 07:55:49 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 02, 2022, 07:53:12 PM »
Teachers Spay Teachers blog? Sounds kinda saucy.

Offline Iceman

• where there's smoke there's wires
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 02, 2022, 07:53:58 PM »
Imagine equating that paragraph with saying “I have a husband” or “my wife’s name is Liz”.

There was only one teacher I had growing up who never mentioned anything about her family. We all thought she was a crazy cat lady, and she got treated with a lot more shenanigans than most other teachers did.

Teachers shouldn’t be putting their personal drama on display and transferring their stress to their students, but being disallowed from sharing anything about the existence of their family as you seem to suggest is the proper course of action here is asinine.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: April 02, 2022, 09:18:33 PM »
Teachers shouldn’t be putting their personal drama on display and transferring their stress to their students, but being disallowed from sharing anything about the existence of their family as you seem to suggest is the proper course of action here is asinine.
Correct. Although this law is so vague that I have no idea whether it prohibits a female telling a student they have a wife or a male a husband.
The idea that teachers shouldn't be able to do that is obviously ridiculous. Tom knows this of course, he doesn't believe most of the things he posts which is why it's not worth engaging with his trolling.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 02, 2022, 10:00:24 PM »
she want to talk to kids about her spouse being a trans-fem person and about how she is a lesbian. Being introduced to the teacher's sexual preferences is inappropriate for the first grade.

... but only if those preferences don't coincide with yours, right?

It's OK for hetero Mr Teacher to talk about Mrs Wife and kids?
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.
=============================

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 02, 2022, 10:04:23 PM »
she want to talk to kids about her spouse being a trans-fem person and about how she is a lesbian. Being introduced to the teacher's sexual preferences is inappropriate for the first grade.

Actually, no.

Teacher resource study.com suggests doing the same, for all levels of student-teacher interaction.

https://study.com/blog/how-open-should-you-be-with-your-students-about-your-personal-life.html

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 02, 2022, 10:17:22 PM »

Obviously that's OK, and Tom knows it is. None of the people backing this bill have ever spluttered with rage at a female teacher saying they have a husband or a male teacher saying they have wife. And the guidance Tom is cherry picking from to back up his trolling/bigotry also says:

A good rule of thumb when sharing details about your personal life is to pretend that everything you tell your students will be repeated to their parents.

Since when would any parent grumble if a heterosexual teacher mentioned their spouse?
If a parent has an issue if a gay teacher mentions their spouse then I'd suggest it's the parent who has the problem, not the teacher.
In fact, I'd suggest the child wouldn't give a monkeys either. Children aren't born bigots, they learn that. If from a young age they are taught to accept differences between people - race, culture, religion, sexuality - then that can only be a positive thing.
If it's done in an age appropriate way of course, which is what this bill claims to be about, although it's interesting that it's the bigots cheering this on.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 02, 2022, 10:46:38 PM »
Obviously that's OK, and Tom knows it is.

Wrong.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 02, 2022, 10:54:11 PM »
Aren't you guys in the wrong thread? I thought there was a specific thread for gay teachers.

Offline JSS

• Math is math!
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 02, 2022, 11:34:52 PM »
I didn't ask you to quote what he said, I asked what you thought he meant.

Copying what someone else wrote is no replacement for actually answering a question. Try and use your own words.
He was pointing out your first-grade teacher wasn't talking to you about issues relating to his/her private life outside of the school and if they were, they were unjustified in doing so.

You got that, from this?  "Yes, I don't doubt you that your first grade teacher taught you all about your body."

It's pretty clear you are just paraphrasing what was discussed earlier in the conversation, as none of what you just said was mentioned in the quote above.  Try telling me what that quite means without copying bits of the conversation before it.
Yeah, that is what I got from it.

Try to learn to read using inference and stop quoting the goddamn post and use your own words rather than quoting, since those are the rules you like.

So the answer is no, you don't really understand what he was saying there since you can't use your own words to describe it. You also seem to be confused between the difference between quoting with proper attribution, and stealing someone elses work and presenting it as your own.

Thanks for making that clear to everyone.

Ironic you are telling me not to quote people, while quoting me doing it. :D

Irony does not negate truthfulness.

Quite a lot of that going around today.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 03, 2022, 12:04:55 AM »
1st grader Timmy, after Xmas break, asks Mrs. Smith, his teacher, what she did for Christmas.
Mrs. Smith: "Well Timmy, my husband and I drove up to see his grandparents in snowy Vermont. It was a winter wonderland, just like the North Pole where Santa lives with Mrs. Claus and all of the elves..."

1st grader Timmy, after Xmas break, asks Mr. Smith, his teacher, what he did for Christmas.
Mr. Smith: "Well Timmy, my husband and I drove up to see his grandparents in snowy Vermont. It was a winter wonderland, just like the North Pole where Santa lives with Mrs. Claus and all of the elves..."

Both responses are now forbidden in FLA? I wonder if now you can't even mention that Santa has a wife too...

Or maybe it has to be:

1st grader Timmy, after Xmas break, asks Mrs. Smith, his teacher, what she did for Christmas.
Mrs. Smith: "Well Timmy, my friend and I drove up to see family in snowy Vermont. It was a winter wonderland, just like the North Pole where Santa lives with Mrs. Claus and all of the elves..."

Timmy: "What's your boyfriend's name?"

Mrs. Smith: "Nancy"

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 03, 2022, 07:59:40 AM »
Nah more like

"I'm sorry Timmy, but its illegal for me to tell you."

And let that stew in the kid's head.

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 03, 2022, 10:12:09 AM »
So the answer is no, you don't really understand what he was saying there since you can't use your own words to describe it.
He was pointing out your first-grade teacher wasn't talking to you about issues relating to his/her private life outside of the school and if they were, they were unjustified in doing so.
I understood perfectly well what the message was.

You don't.

Bye.
To be honest I am getting pretty bored of this place.