Offline somerled

• View Profile
Re: Black Lives Matter
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2020, 04:21:26 PM »
The kneeling down gesture is the governments attempt to control public opinion and promote its agenda . No human should kneel before another . We all matter .

Anyone who refuses to kneel will be branded a racist . That's the point of that . The psychopaths in control want you to live in fear.                     

Rama Set

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2020, 05:01:23 PM »
No one is forgetting that George Floyd’s killer is a murderer. He has been charged with the crime and will be prosecuted. The protests are not about a single murder, what a silly interpretation of the events. It’s about a culmination of many injustices, real and perceived, that people are demanding be addressed.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2020, 10:10:09 PM »
I've said it before in another thread in a more long winded way but of course everyone has all the same rights but what allows people to move ahead and get far in life or not is how everyone else treats you. It's not about rights, it's about how people are treated based on something that can't be changed. It's sad that people have prejudgement suspicions and fears toward black people. That's the problem. I mean come on, the US had a black president so we know black people can still reach that height but when black people get the police called on them for doing nothing there's a problem.
People have prejudgements about each other for all kinds of reasons - gender, race, social class, what they're wearing, their accent, their age. Lots of things, many of which a person can't change. The video you posted - the black dude was sitting on a wall outside someone's property. If I saw someone (of any race) doing that then I might wonder what they're doing. I doubt I'd call the police though. So yes, I think it's fair to say that whoever did that was over-reacting and the call was probably motivated in part by the guy's race. But the reason for that is statistically black people commit a statistically disproportionate amount of the crime in the US. That isn't because black people are inherently more violent or criminal but simply because crime is correlated with poverty and black families tend to be poorer. And that is because of a load of historic laws which were overtly racist - laws which stopped black families from buying properties in certain areas and stopped them getting mortgages in areas where they were allowed to buy property. And I don't think that's an easy problem to fix, wealth is passed down generations in families so those historic laws are going to have a long-lasting effect.

So yeah, black people will get profiled just like when people hear about a terrorist attack they tend to instinctively blame Islamic extremism - these stereotypes/prejudices aren't baseless, they're based on statistics. And in the video you posted, it may have been frustrating for the black dude to have been approached by the police when he wasn't doing anything wrong but all he had to do was identify himself and I suspect that would have been the end of the matter.

It's also worth noting here that these incidents are, statistically speaking, rare. The stupid bint who called the police on a black man in Central Park on spurious grounds was fired from her job, hopefully things like that will make people think twice before crying wolf.

We need to dispel this myth that black people are being routinely hunted down and killed by a systematically racist police in the US. That just isn't happening. Tom has provided some stats, a vanishingly small number of black people who were unarmed were killed by police last year. More unarmed white people were actually although per capita in terms of the population split between white and black people it did happen to more black people - I have suggested above why they might get profiled and be more likely to be affected though.
The idea that black people should be scared of encounters with the police lest they're gunned down in cold blood is just not borne out by the statistics.

There are occasional incidents and the George Floyd one was a bad one, but the police who did it are in jail so I don't understand what all the signs saying "no justice, no peace" mean. If the people who did it are acquitted then there will be a shitstorm, rightly so. Till then, I don't understand what these protests are intended to change. As you say, the laws to ensure equality already exist, what those policemen did is already illegal. People who do harbour racist views aren't exactly going to change that because of some protests.

Obviously I can't know what it's like being black in the UK. I don't see black people being chased down the street or have racist abuse shouted at them. Quite happy to believe it happens but is it common? I'd say most of the racism in the UK is more subtle - there's good evidence that people with "English sounding" surnames get more response to their CVs, for example. That's not all about race though, plenty of white people have foreign sounding surnames and would be affected by that. And that's an easy fix - anonymise CVs. I do think (and I realise, as a white person I'm on thin ice here) that some black people just look for racism everywhere they look and confirmation bias does the rest. Every perceived slight is deemed racist.

We are currently having ridiculous conversations at work about quota of BAME people at senior leadership level. I seriously don't understand how that is supposed to work, so if a black person leaves and that means we're now not meeting the quota then what, does that mean we have to hire another black person? There is no such thing as positive discrimination, it's an oxymoron. The solution to discrimination is equality, not more discrimination.

TL;DR - I'm not saying that racism isn't a thing now, but I'm not buying into the idea that black people are systematically oppressed these days. Profiled, maybe, but not entirely without basis. And subject to more subtle forms of racism, sure. But aren't we all affected by some forms of bias whether conscious or unconscious? As I said at the start of this ramble, we prejudge people based on all kinds of things about them, many of which they can't change.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Rama Set

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2020, 10:24:19 PM »
Statistically, black people are more likely to be stopped by and to suffer violence from police than white people are in every situation, controlling for a plethora of factors. The exception is that police shoot seem to be unbiased in their shooting of people.

https://law.yale.edu/sites/default/files/area/workshop/leo/leo16_fryer.pdf

« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 10:38:27 PM by Rama Set »

Offline ChrisTP

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2020, 11:54:19 PM »
I've said it before in another thread in a more long winded way but of course everyone has all the same rights but what allows people to move ahead and get far in life or not is how everyone else treats you. It's not about rights, it's about how people are treated based on something that can't be changed. It's sad that people have prejudgement suspicions and fears toward black people. That's the problem. I mean come on, the US had a black president so we know black people can still reach that height but when black people get the police called on them for doing nothing there's a problem.
People have prejudgements about each other for all kinds of reasons - gender, race, social class, what they're wearing, their accent, their age. Lots of things, many of which a person can't change. The video you posted - the black dude was sitting on a wall outside someone's property. If I saw someone (of any race) doing that then I might wonder what they're doing. I doubt I'd call the police though. So yes, I think it's fair to say that whoever did that was over-reacting and the call was probably motivated in part by the guy's race. But the reason for that is statistically black people commit a statistically disproportionate amount of the crime in the US. That isn't because black people are inherently more violent or criminal but simply because crime is correlated with poverty and black families tend to be poorer. And that is because of a load of historic laws which were overtly racist - laws which stopped black families from buying properties in certain areas and stopped them getting mortgages in areas where they were allowed to buy property. And I don't think that's an easy problem to fix, wealth is passed down generations in families so those historic laws are going to have a long-lasting effect.

So yeah, black people will get profiled just like when people hear about a terrorist attack they tend to instinctively blame Islamic extremism - these stereotypes/prejudices aren't baseless, they're based on statistics. And in the video you posted, it may have been frustrating for the black dude to have been approached by the police when he wasn't doing anything wrong but all he had to do was identify himself and I suspect that would have been the end of the matter.

It's also worth noting here that these incidents are, statistically speaking, rare. The stupid bint who called the police on a black man in Central Park on spurious grounds was fired from her job, hopefully things like that will make people think twice before crying wolf.

We need to dispel this myth that black people are being routinely hunted down and killed by a systematically racist police in the US. That just isn't happening. Tom has provided some stats, a vanishingly small number of black people who were unarmed were killed by police last year. More unarmed white people were actually although per capita in terms of the population split between white and black people it did happen to more black people - I have suggested above why they might get profiled and be more likely to be affected though.
The idea that black people should be scared of encounters with the police lest they're gunned down in cold blood is just not borne out by the statistics.

There are occasional incidents and the George Floyd one was a bad one, but the police who did it are in jail so I don't understand what all the signs saying "no justice, no peace" mean. If the people who did it are acquitted then there will be a shitstorm, rightly so. Till then, I don't understand what these protests are intended to change. As you say, the laws to ensure equality already exist, what those policemen did is already illegal. People who do harbour racist views aren't exactly going to change that because of some protests.

Obviously I can't know what it's like being black in the UK. I don't see black people being chased down the street or have racist abuse shouted at them. Quite happy to believe it happens but is it common? I'd say most of the racism in the UK is more subtle - there's good evidence that people with "English sounding" surnames get more response to their CVs, for example. That's not all about race though, plenty of white people have foreign sounding surnames and would be affected by that. And that's an easy fix - anonymise CVs. I do think (and I realise, as a white person I'm on thin ice here) that some black people just look for racism everywhere they look and confirmation bias does the rest. Every perceived slight is deemed racist.

We are currently having ridiculous conversations at work about quota of BAME people at senior leadership level. I seriously don't understand how that is supposed to work, so if a black person leaves and that means we're now not meeting the quota then what, does that mean we have to hire another black person? There is no such thing as positive discrimination, it's an oxymoron. The solution to discrimination is equality, not more discrimination.

TL;DR - I'm not saying that racism isn't a thing now, but I'm not buying into the idea that black people are systematically oppressed these days. Profiled, maybe, but not entirely without basis. And subject to more subtle forms of racism, sure. But aren't we all affected by some forms of bias whether conscious or unconscious? As I said at the start of this ramble, we prejudge people based on all kinds of things about them, many of which they can't change.
Here in the UK racism (at least in my experience) is mostly individuals who get ignored. No one in my social circle is racist other than maybe my grandparents who were mostly ignored when they made random racist comments. I dated a girl for 5 years who's dad was pretty racist but the rest of their family would give him evil glares and tell him to stfu whenever he would say anything racist.. Though ngl there's not many black people in the area of my city that I grew up in so maybe I wasn't exposed to it much. I think racism is far worse in other countries.

Also I believe in equal opportunity not of outcome. I don't think women and people of colour should be hired for jobs just because they are women or people of colour, I think they should be hired because their resume is best. This may not end in having a completely even mix of employees but that's not what matters, What matters is everyone should be given the same chances in life. Again though I may be naive in saying this but we do have equal opportunities and all the same rights now but I guess that won't matter if people are still prejudice toward skin colour and gender. I mean prejudice is important, if I see a group of people loitering on a street corner with their hoods up looking shady I'm going to cross the road even if it turns out they were just waiting for a taxi and thought it was gunna rain, better safe than sorry. :P

I happen to work in an industry that's famously mostly white males but it's slowly becoming more diverse, slowly... because the world has changed for the better and the youth coming in is mixed but the veterans of the industry aren't. This is fine IMO. with time. if we've had black presidents of the US and female prime ministers of the UK etc then there's no limits for them anymore, it's all down to the opportunities they have and the environment they're raised in. With that said, the BLM movement fighting the government when it's not a government problem... Sure, governments can do better to make sure people are well educated but that's about it. It's down to people to change in the end.
Tom is wrong most of the time. Hardly big news, don't you think?

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2020, 07:51:16 AM »
I think these things take generations to change.
Even in my lifetime - I'm mid-40s - I've seen change. The sorts of language and "jokes" which were prevalent when I was a kid aren't any more. The generation of kids - in London at least - have grown up in a multi-cultural society in a way that even I didn't really (looked back at some old photos from my primary school recently, almost all white kids). I don't think there's a quick fix but the laws to prevent discrimination are already in place. The next trick is to try and stop more unconscious bias and that's a bit harder, but things like anonymising CVs will help
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2020, 06:20:34 PM »
Statistically, black people are more likely to be stopped
Statistically black people are more likely to commit crime. QED.

things like anonymising CVs will help
They don't want that. White people and far East Asians will outshine all else. You have to appreciate that sub-Saharan Africans and Arabs are not as bright as other races. Map below is IQ map.

This can't be let out of the bag. There must be positive discrimination so that black people don't feel inferior (so the leftists insist). An invisible hand helping them at every turn to the detriment of white and yellow people. Or as Margret Thatcher described it, cutting the heads off the tall poppies.
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline ChrisTP

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2020, 06:27:59 PM »

things like anonymising CVs will help
They don't want that. White people and far East Asians will outshine all else. You have to appreciate that sub-Saharan Africans and Arabs are not as bright as other races. Map below is IQ map.

This can't be let out of the bag. There must be positive discrimination so that black people don't feel inferior (so the leftists insist). An invisible hand helping them at every turn to the detriment of white and yellow people. Or as Margret Thatcher described it, cutting the heads off the tall poppies.
It's worth noting that IQ per country as the map you posted is not so simple. There are so many factors to consider, culturally, environmentally, nutritionally etc that may skew those results. Also worth not putting too much weight into IQ, it's just an estimate developed with biases.
Tom is wrong most of the time. Hardly big news, don't you think?

Rama Set

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2020, 07:31:14 PM »

Stopping black people more often in general because of the behavior of a subset of black people is, what? Anybody? Anybody? Racism.

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2020, 07:50:47 PM »

Stopping black people more often in general because of the behavior of a subset of black people is, what? Anybody? Anybody? Racism.

Your way is just idiocy.

Car insurance costs more for men than women. Men are more likely to have accidents. Is that sexist? No. Its about risk management. Searching black people is the same. Risk management.

The alternative is to up the amount you search everyone else to make your equality quota. This inconveniences everyone else unnecessarily and is expensive as you need more cops to do all this extra stopping and searching. The efficient way is just to stop and search the blacks. Just as insurance companies can offer better rates to women, by making men pay as a group for the higher risk they pose.

People are not all the same. We are individuals and we can be grouped. Its not racism to group and then react accordingly to that group. It is common sense. Something the left have a shortage of.

Women of all races are searched far less than men. No one is screaming about sexism. Of course men are stopped more. They commit more crime. And I'm ok with being stopped more. A quick conversation with the policeman, let him hear my educated middle class accent and I'm on my way. I don't do something stupid like refusing to cooperate and so my face isn't smushed into the asphalt with a policeman's knee on my neck.

A short story with Thork.
The last time I was stopped by a policeman was a little over 10 years ago. I was driving along, my boss phoned me on my mobile and I answered. The instant I put the phone to my ear, I saw a jam sandwich and threw the phone into the foot well.
Too late. He put on his lights and pulled me over.
C:-) "You were using your mobile phone"
??? "No I wasn't"
C:-) "We can do this the hard way or the easy way. Want me to rip your car apart looking for that phone?"
:'( "Its a crime of idiocy. I deserve the fine."
C:-)"Be more careful in future. Good day".

No one got shot. I started badly. One might almost say I started like a black man. A dindu nuffin. Then I realised I was being a prick, the cop appreciated I knew I was being a prick, and I got let go without a fine ... let alone being wrestled to the floor. Black people should be made to study my experience to avoid getting shot.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 08:35:55 PM by Toddler Thork »

Rama Set

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2020, 09:15:00 PM »
Your way is just idiocy.

Car insurance costs more for men than women. Men are more likely to have accidents. Is that sexist? No. Its about risk management. Searching black people is the same. Risk management.

Turns out people's legal rights when the government wants to subject you to search and seizure are much more stringent than getting car insurance  ::)

The alternative is to up the amount you search everyone else to make your equality quota. This inconveniences everyone else unnecessarily and is expensive as you need more cops to do all this extra stopping and searching. The efficient way is just to stop and search the blacks. Just as insurance companies can offer better rates to women, by making men pay as a group for the higher risk they pose.

People are not all the same. We are individuals and we can be grouped. Its not racism to group and then react accordingly to that group. It is common sense. Something the left have a shortage of.

You aren't supposed to stop people unless you have a reasonable cause.  Stopping someone because they are black and black people commit more crimes is not a reasonable cause, it is discriminating against them based on their race.

Women of all races are searched far less than men. No one is screaming about sexism. Of course men are stopped more. They commit more crime. And I'm ok with being stopped more.

See my point above.

A quick conversation with the policeman, let him hear my educated middle class accent and I'm on my way.

Classic.

This doesn't even address the fact that black people are much more likely to suffer violence from police under identical circumstances to white people.  Even if you are granted that all stops are fair, there is still a giant problem with how police in North America are dealing with minorities.

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2020, 10:20:18 PM »
Turns out people's legal rights when the government wants to subject you to search and seizure are much more stringent than getting car insurance  ::)
How much do you earn?

Its a valid question. Let's say you earn $20 an hour. And for being a man, you have to pay an extra $100 a year in car insurance. Just for being a man, you were inconvenienced by 5 hours a year. You had that time taken from you.
Now let's say you are stopped by the police 5 times in a year. If each time was say 20 mins ... you were inconvenienced 3x more by the insurance company. So why is the insurance company's right to discriminate at will ok with you, when it costs you more of your time? And why won't you allow the police to discriminate when they can save lives by doing so. They are more likely to find miscreants with weapons and drugs by racially profiling them. Why should innocent people be hurt, because you don't want to inconvenience a particular group? We just shut the whole country inconveniencing everybody to prevent a few old people being hurt. Why would you let the rate of stabbings and shootings go up, just for political correctness? When you can do something, why would you not and let people get killed? Your political views are worth more than their lives?

You aren't supposed to stop people unless you have a reasonable cause.  Stopping someone because they are black and black people commit more crimes is not a reasonable cause, it is discriminating against them based on their race.
They are being stopped because of location ... not race. They don't stop black people outside the white house. Obama wasn't frisked on the way in. Will Smith isn't getting stopped on Hollywood boulevard. They stop black people in ghettos where all the crime is happening. If you are on a street where drugs are traded freely, expect cops to stop you more often. If you are walking down a road full of pimps and prostitutes, expect a cop to suspect you of pimping.

Black people live in crime areas because black people commit more crime. They then get stopped more because they are in a place where crime happens.

What are the odds of you getting stopped outside an opera house at 2pm in Richmond, VA and searched? Next to zero.
What are the odds of you getting searched if you are sat on the kerb of a street in downtown Chicago at 4am on a street notorious for narcotics? ... the cop won't care what colour you are.

This doesn't even address the fact that black people are much more likely to suffer violence from police under identical circumstances to white people.  Even if you are granted that all stops are fair, there is still a giant problem with how police in North America are dealing with minorities.
Last year 13 black people were killed by cops. 7500 black people were killed by other black people. The people the cops are trying to stop by searching. Your ideals are clouding your common sense again.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 10:31:35 PM by Toddler Thork »

Rama Set

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2020, 10:37:22 PM »
How much do you earn?

Its a valid question. Let's say you earn $20 an hour. And for being a man, you have to pay an extra $100 a year in car insurance. Just for being a man, you were inconvenienced by 5 hours a year. You had that time taken from you.
Now let's say you are stopped by the police 5 times in a year. If each time was say 20 mins ... you were inconvenienced 3x more by the insurance company. So why is the insurance company's right to discriminate at will ok with you, when it costs you more of your time?

Moving on.

And why won't you allow the police to discriminate when they can save lives by doing so. They are more likely to find miscreants with weapons and drugs by racially profiling them. Why should innocent people be hurt, because you don't want to inconvenience a particular group? We just shut the whole country inconveniencing everybody to prevent a few old people being hurt. Why would you let the rate of stabbings and shootings go up, just for political correctness? When you can do something, why would you not and let people get killed? Your political views are worth more than their lives?

It's not my political views, it's the law.  It would be much easier to stop criminals if we totally suspend all civil liberty, I will let you go back to your 8th grade lessons on civics to figure out why democratic nations don't do that.

They are being stopped because of location ... not race.

Alright Thork, you have had your fun, but I am not going to let you perpetuate your argument by just indulging you when you want to pivot to an entirely different position.

Your ideals are clouding your common sense again.
That's two people today who have made arguments for a fascist police force who doesn't have to respect the civil rights of citizens.

EDIT: I also noticed that your numbers for homicides are almost certainly fabricated.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 10:41:05 PM by Rama Set »

Offline timterroo

• domo arigato gozaimashita
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2020, 11:12:06 PM »
BLM is not about white people, so if you feel like you don't matter or you're being left out because of this movement - if you're someone who says, "but every life matters" -  that's what is called "white privilege".

If you fall into this category, and I did at first, try putting the word "too" after "black lives matter". That's what BLM is about.

No reason to be offended.

@thork, there's so much you are saying that makes you sound so incredibly privileged, you should be glad that you have never had to deal with the kind of discrimination black people (in the USA) have to deal with.

I'm from a small town, most people are white, but I have a niece who is black. The school once told her she couldn't come to school with her hair in a fro - they said it was a distraction, and they thought it meant she hadn't been showering, so CPS was nearly called. Any idea how long it takes to properly do up her hair, so that it isn't messy or afroed? My wife can do it in about 8 hours.

This is the result of a complete lack of cultural education. I wouldn't necessarily call it racist, but at least ignorant. However, this is the kind of ignorance that leads to preconceived notions which leads to racism.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 12:13:04 AM by timterroo »
"noche te ipsum"

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2020, 02:43:58 AM »
I'm from a small town, most people are white, but I have a niece who is black. The school once told her she couldn't come to school with her hair in a fro - they said it was a distraction, and they thought it meant she hadn't been showering, so CPS was nearly called.

Would that justify her participation in riots and crime in protest of this perceived racism?

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2020, 02:54:46 AM »
So do you think this may have been a throw away comment once that she has trawled to be relevant, or do you think many music insiders perpetually gave this incorrect advice to her?
Diana Ross
Lionel Richie
The Jackson 5
Jimi Hendrix
Steve Wonder
Bob Marley
Aretha Franklin

It is stupid to suggest black people can't make it in music if they look black. And yet her comments go unchallenged because they fit the narrative that black people face racism from everywhere.

I have no idea if this was a thing that people said to her frequently or just once, but it's worth condemnation even if it was just once. I'm stressing this point because it drives me nuts how so many people on the Internet are convinced that media executives or other professionals are driven purely by profit and would never allow petty human foibles to get in the way of the bottom line. They do, and I can think of countless examples from music, film, and other industries. John Fogerty spent many years after the breakup of Creedence Clearwater Revival distancing himself from the famous songs he had written and performed with them, undoubtedly hurting his career, in large part simply because he was mad at his old boss. There's a mediocre director named Colin Trevorrow who owes his entire career, most notably the fact that he was offered the chance to direct Jurassic World without even needing to pitch for it, to the fact that he's pals with Steven Spielberg and Brad Bird. Zack Snyder is another director who continues to be given huge budgets and creative freedom for blockbusters, despite the fact that he regularly delivers flop after flop.

I don't want to get too off-topic, but the point is that it's entirely believable that Alexandra Burke was told by people who ought to have known better that she shouldn't be "too black," and the fact that there are plenty of successful black musicians doesn't mean that logically they wouldn't have said that. It is still just an anecdote, and I think that's what Burke meant it as, not as a broad condemnation of society at large.

Unfortunately our left wing press in the UK are dead set on importing America's problems to the UK. This caused BLM riots over here despite us not having a history of slavery. Black people in the UK aren't descended from slaves. They are descended from immigrants who have been given every oportunity for a better life in the UK.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52954305
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-53082545
And most ridiculous
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53033550
^They literally want to tear down statues of Winston Churchill because racism. Don't say it doesn't affect my culture when you have zero idea what is going on, on this side of the Atlantic.

My bad. I was ignorant and made assumptions. That being said, I looked up Edward Colston, and, uh, is this the guy you want representing your culture? Maybe the time has come for the British people to decide on new icons of their culture who deserve commemoration via public monuments. Your country has a rich history, and I'm sure you can do better than someone like Colston.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 04:32:34 AM by honk »
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline timterroo

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2020, 03:01:35 AM »
I'm from a small town, most people are white, but I have a niece who is black. The school once told her she couldn't come to school with her hair in a fro - they said it was a distraction, and they thought it meant she hadn't been showering, so CPS was nearly called.

Would that justify her participation in riots and crime in protest of this perceived racism?

No, not at all.

I get the impression that most people who are true to the BLM movement are not the people inciting violence. Of course, the rioting and violence is the majority of what the media shows, so that’s what people perceive.
"noche te ipsum"

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2020, 03:13:27 AM »

No, not at all.

If nothing justifies riots and crime, then why are you here trying to plead and justify and argue in favor of this movement which causes riots and crime to occur?

An argument of "some people there aren't throwing bricks and destroying property" is rather poor justification for this movement which causes crime to occur.

Offline timterroo

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2020, 03:27:19 AM »

No, not at all.

If nothing justifies riots and crime, then why are you here trying to plead and justify and argue in favor of this movement which causes riots and crime to occur?

An argument of "some people there aren't throwing bricks and destroying property" is rather poor justification for this movement which causes crime to occur.

I’m not in favor of violence, and I never said I was.
"noche te ipsum"

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2020, 03:29:05 AM »

No, not at all.

I’m not in favor of violence, and I never said I was.

Yet here you are, pleading with and defending an organization which causes crime to occur.