• View Profile
Re: Fallout series
« Reply #400 on: June 04, 2015, 05:45:41 PM »

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: June 15, 2015, 05:38:53 PM »
So I just watched the Giant Bomb coverage of the Bethesda E3 press conference, and I guess I'll share some thoughts on the Fallout 4 footage.

1. The voiced protagonist sounds like ass and I really hope there's an option to turn off his voice separately from the others, even though they will probably be annoying too. Also, why do the vault thing again? Both Fallout 2 and New Vegas gave some neat alternatives to being a vault dweller, Bethesda seems reluctant to switch up the formula too much.

2. Super Mutants and Brotherhood of Steel are back... why? This seems like Bethesda repeating their Fallout 3 mistake of clinging to easily recognisable things from the series' past because they don't want to exert too much effort in coming up with new factions.

3. Your dog companion can be ordered to go and get things for you via a "go here" point and click thing, but its response to commands is so slow that you might as well just walk there.

4. You can build your own houses and communities in preset locations around the map. So there's basically an expanded version of Hearthfire in the game, and that could be a neat feature if it has enough granularity.

5. VATS looks a lot more fluid, and doesn't just straight up stop time any more. Even so, I hope the free shooting combat is good enough that VATS isn't something the player has to rely on to fight. It was necessary to use the VATS aiming system in the original games, but in its 3D incarnations it has often felt to me more like a crutch for the developers to excuse their shoddy FPS combat.

6. You can play minigames on your Pip-Boy. Uh... yay?

7. You can call a vertibird to come and pick you up. What?

If you liked Fallout 3 this looks like more of the same, and I'm sure it will deliver everything you want in a new Fallout title. For me, that's a cause for concern more than anything, F3 was a mess made by people who didn't seem to understand what Fallout is, its world or its atmosphere, and felt totally uninspired and half-assed at the same time because it was mainly elements of the original games cobble together with no rhyme or reason stuffed into a new location, with a bullshit story set on the 200th anniversary of the Great War, where you are Wasteland Jesus and Three Dog is your prophet. I really want Fallout 4 to be great, I really want to enjoy playing it and be able to say that it's a worthwhile addition to one of my favourite series of games, but what I've seen at the press conference doesn't give me a lot of confidence that this is going to be more than a retread of the mistakes they made last time around.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 15, 2015, 06:11:57 PM »
They should name it "Fallout four dialogue options".
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #403 on: June 15, 2015, 07:34:20 PM »
All of the voice actors are terrible, and the characters themselves once again look fake and plasticky.  Also, the presence of the Brotherhood isn't in and of itself a bad thing, but I hope they're not being altruistic and boring like they were in F3.  The "real" BoS is interesting.  F3's BoS was not.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #404 on: June 15, 2015, 07:48:45 PM »
Glossy Glaze Face.

They look fine though. I'm just happy they aren't ugly potato faces.
The Mastery.

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #405 on: June 15, 2015, 07:53:12 PM »
All of the voice actors are terrible, and the characters themselves once again look fake and plasticky.  Also, the presence of the Brotherhood isn't in and of itself a bad thing, but I hope they're not being altruistic and boring like they were in F3.  The "real" BoS is interesting.  F3's BoS was not.
Yeah, my concern isn't so much that the BoS is there but why it's there, and how Bethesda is going to use it in the game.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #406 on: June 15, 2015, 07:56:58 PM »
And how can you be over 200 years old? Vaults don't have cryostasis chambers do they?
The Mastery.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: June 15, 2015, 10:28:52 PM »
Some things look exciting, the jetpack power suit, the animation for the creatures (particularly the deathclaw), the customisable weapons, the 'build your own shack' thing, but it is looking very much like a Fallout 3 expansion pack rather than a new game at the moment - BoS, Supermutants, Ghouls and Sentrybots, there's nothing there that jumps out as being particularly new. The graphics, while good, aren't this-gen quality - even compared to ports like The Last of US.

And how can you be over 200 years old? Vaults don't have cryostasis chambers do they?

Some do, like Vault 112 http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Vault_112

Since the player is going to be from Vault 111 it makes sense that it might have similar facilities to run similar experiments.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 10:31:17 PM by Ghost Spaghetti »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: June 15, 2015, 10:40:33 PM »
o
The Mastery.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: June 16, 2015, 06:33:19 AM »
The voiced protagonist sounds like ass

Maybe the woman protagonist will be better?

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: June 16, 2015, 07:15:03 AM »
The voiced protagonist sounds like ass

Maybe the woman protagonist will be better?

It's possible, though it would doubtless be hampered by Bethesda's always lacklustre facial animations. However, my real issue, and I should have been clear about this earlier, is that in a game where I design my own character in appearance, aptitudes, and skillsets, I prefer to imagine what that character sounds like rather than being told what they sound like. I know the trend at the moment is to spoonfeed the player everything and not allow their imagination to come into the equation whatsoever, but in this kind of game it should be a straight no-no, so I hope there will be a specific option to turn off the voice over just for the protagonist. I'm sure someone will make a mod for it if it isn't included, but I think the option should definitely be there from day one.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: June 16, 2015, 08:33:18 AM »
That is a good point. It will sound odd if a charismatic Wasteland conman, a lunk-headed bruiser and an energy-weapon obsessed tinkerer all sound the same...

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #412 on: June 22, 2015, 08:03:11 PM »
I don't think it would really work for this game to be able to turn off the protagonist's voice, because your side of the conversation is no longer simply what you select in the dialogue options - instead, they're going with the whole Bioware-inspired system of your selected option just being a prompt for a more verbose response from your character.  Of course, that system works for Bioware because their RPGs aren't so much about you creating a unique character from scratch as they are about you guiding an established character through the choices that they make over the course of the story.  It doesn't work when you're supposedly choosing whether your character is going to be smart or dumb, polite or rude, aggressive or cautious, etc.

Also, I don't like that Bethesda is once again going out of its way to ensure that your character has no knowledge or experience of the outside world whatsoever, and that no, you can't come up with your own backstory or motivation.  It's like they don't understand that there are plenty of stories to tell in science fiction without falling back on the whole Campbellian archetype.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 07, 2015, 01:02:23 PM »
On the notion of Fallout 4:

« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 01:04:19 PM by Rushy »

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #414 on: August 08, 2015, 04:53:39 PM »

Not too much that we haven't already seen, unfortunately.  I kind of like how the power armor is more a sort of mech that you climb into, rather than your own personal armor that you can just stick in your hammerspace backpack like everything else.  It's a departure from the previous games, obviously, but it feels more realistic, and it should hopefully make the game more challenging by requiring you to be on foot for certain parts.

Very disappointing.

http://www.vg247.com/2015/08/05/fallout-4-looks-more-and-more-like-a-recycled-fallout-3/

Also very disappointing.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 08:30:50 PM by Saddam Hussein »

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 08, 2015, 04:59:11 PM »
Uh, how is that tweet disappointing?

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 08, 2015, 05:01:10 PM »
literally sadaam
The Mastery.

« Reply #417 on: August 08, 2015, 05:21:42 PM »
Now I might actually bother with the main story.
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: August 08, 2015, 05:43:29 PM »
Wait, so Saddam actually wants the game to end after completing the main quest? He actually wants what was considered one of the worst things about Fallout 3?

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: August 08, 2015, 05:55:06 PM »
Yes, because "a Fallout story should have a beginning and an end, just liek the first two games derp"
The Mastery.