Re: Sherlock
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2014, 09:03:41 PM »
Perhaps he actually is dead and this is Sherlock's way of not being sent off to die? Doubtful, but possible.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Ghost of V

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2014, 09:05:52 PM »
Perhaps he actually is dead and this is Sherlock's way of not being sent off to die? Doubtful, but possible.

Oh, like Sherlock orchestrated the whole thing and it turns out Moffat was just trolling? It's a possibility.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2014, 12:53:26 AM »
I can't wait to watch Martin Freeman be Martin Freeman.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Ghost of V

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2014, 05:54:05 PM »
Just watched the last episode of Season 2 again last night. Considering the end of Season 3, I have a new theory on how Moriarty could have survived. What if Richard Brook was really an actor the whole time?

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2014, 09:22:37 PM »
How would that work?
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Ghost of V

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2014, 09:31:38 PM »
How would that work?

Well, there's a lot of evidence given in the last episode that Richard Brook was a real person. For example, all the newspaper clippings and the fact that he was an actor on a British hospital drama on television. Why would he make something like that up when it is very very easy for Sherlock to disprove? Sherlock could just buy the DVDs or watch a rerun of the show on TV. Moriarty is not that stupid.

Also, considering no one in the series could confirm that Jim Moriarty was a real person to begin with, there's no record of him anywhere. No one knew what Moriarty looked like before he "revealed" himself to Sherlock and John at the end of season 1. One of the reasons Rciahrd Brook gives for this is because he had that "line of computer code" that was pretty much magical and could hack into anything. Later on, we find out that the computer code doesn't even exist.

Plus, I find it very odd that the writers would kill off Moriarty so early in the series. I really think he'll be back in one form or another.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 10:13:11 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2014, 12:53:21 PM »
Basically, the writers had written themselves into a corner with the Reichenbach Falls. They knew there was no realistic way for Sherlock to survive without cheating, so they didn't bother. They gave us an episode which was all style and no substance. it reminds me of Annie Wilkes rom Misery

Anyway, my favourite was Rocketman, and once it was a no breaks chapter. The bad guy stuck him in a car on a mountain road and knocked him out and welded the door shut and tore out the brakes and started him to his death, and he woke up and tried to steer and tried to get out but the car went off a cliff before he could escape! And it crashed and burned and I was so upset and excited, and the next week, you better believe I was first in line. And they always start with the end of the last week. And there was Rocketman, trying to get out, and here comes the cliff, and just before the car went off the cliff, he jumped free! And all the kids cheered! But I didn't cheer. I stood right up and started shouting. This isn't what happened last week! Have you all got amnesia? They just cheated us! This isn't fair! HE DID'NT GET OUT OF THE COCK - A - DOODIE CAR!

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2014, 05:00:15 AM »
Trying my best not to read this thread because spoilers, but I just watched the first episode, and it was good.  The modern style, cast, re-imagined characters, and humor were all great.  I really just had two problems with it - one being that the climax, with the two pills, wasn't nearly as clever and intriguing as the show seemed to think it was.  Come on, guys, The Princess Bride already did this.  They tried so hard to convince us that it was so incredibly deep and strategic, but the only thing I could think of was the "Inconceivable!" guy babbling about Australia.  And speaking of people using words that they don't understand, lol@that bullshit about psychopaths and "high-functioning sociopaths."  Twenty seconds is all it would have taken to simply Google those terms.

The other issue I had is a bit more personal - I simply can't maintain suspension of disbelief over that ridiculous Sherlock scan gimmick.  Every single time he went off on one of those tangents, it was little more than conjecture, and I was almost always able to think of several perfectly reasonable alternative explanations.  I know that this is his thing and all, so getting rid of it was hardly an option, but they could have at least tried to make them a bit less...speculative.  Like, accusing a guy of having an affair because there happens to be a nearby woman wearing the same brand of deodarant?  That's really weak.

But like I said, I did enjoy it overall.  I shall watch moar.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 05:33:27 PM by Saddam Hussein »

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2014, 10:54:09 AM »
Does this incarnation of Sherlock Holmes have ESP or something? I watched an episode and he had some sort of telepathic GPS in his head that allowed him to track a taxi across London without actually seeing it.

Ghost of V

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2014, 04:55:37 PM »
The other issue I had is a bit more personal - I simply can't maintain suspension of disbelief over that ridiculous Sherlock scan gimmick.  Every single time he went off on one of those tangents, it was little more than conjecture, and I was almost always able to think of several perfectly reasonable alternative explanations.  I know that this is his thing and all, so getting rid of it was hardly an option but they could have at least tried to make them a bit less...speculative.  Like, accusing a guy of having an affair because there happens to be a nearby woman wearing the same brand of deodarant?  That's really weak.

Does this incarnation of Sherlock Holmes have ESP or something? I watched an episode and he had some sort of telepathic GPS in his head that allowed him to track a taxi across London without actually seeing it.

This is just a visualization of Sherlock's deductive powers. It's not as if Sherlock is actually seeing a GPS screen in his head with arrows pointing every which way and whatnot. It's just the writers don't think we can understand how Sherlock's super autistic mind works, so they help us a bit (whether it's helpful or beneficial to the show is still up for debate). About the deodorant, it's silly... but women don't normally wear men's deodorant (especially the same brand as a coworker). I'd say that's one of his more believable deductions. He attempts other deductions like this in later episodes and is sometimes just flat out wrong, which is amusing and somewhat enlightening.

And Saddam, the first episode is pretty weak story-wise. It ends with a stupid ultimatum game and takes itself way too seriously. But this is a norm for the show. Every episode thinks it is smarter than it actually is. It's one of the reasons I don't give the show high marks (even though I still like it a lot). You'll see a pattern emerge as you keep going, but there are some genuinely good episodes in the series (although they're rare, and season 1 is not the best example).

Oh, and I would like to add that detective work is usually speculative. Until there is concrete evidence. Sherlock is guesstimating, what makes him so special is that his guesses are usually right even when there could have been other explanations.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 05:36:45 PM by Vauxhall »

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2014, 05:36:59 PM »
I like the little visual cues.  They give the show a more unique feel.

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2014, 06:36:15 PM »

This is just a visualization of Sherlock's deductive powers. It's not as if Sherlock is actually seeing a GPS screen in his head with arrows pointing every which way and whatnot. It's just the writers don't think we can understand how Sherlock's super autistic mind works, so they help us a bit (whether it's helpful or beneficial to the show is still up for debate).

But he wasn't deducing anything, he just magically knew the route the taxi was taking because magic.

Ghost of V

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2014, 06:39:47 PM »

This is just a visualization of Sherlock's deductive powers. It's not as if Sherlock is actually seeing a GPS screen in his head with arrows pointing every which way and whatnot. It's just the writers don't think we can understand how Sherlock's super autistic mind works, so they help us a bit (whether it's helpful or beneficial to the show is still up for debate).

But he wasn't deducing anything, he just magically knew the route the taxi was taking because magic.

He calculated the fastest route by factoring in traffic patterns and stop-lights. He lives in the area. There was no magic.

Regardless, Sherlock is no stranger to using his iPhone to look up information as well. So he could have used that. Either way, it's believable given how intelligent Sherlock is supposed to be.

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2014, 06:51:10 PM »

He calculated the fastest route by factoring in traffic patterns and stop-lights. He lives in the area. There was no magic.

Regardless, Sherlock is no stranger to using his iPhone to look up information as well. So he could have used that. Either way, it's believable given how intelligent Sherlock is supposed to be.

But the route to where? He knew where it was going and how it would get there despite only briefly glancing at it and having no other information to go on. Unless he has ESP or is literally magic I just don't understand how he would know all that.

Ghost of V

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2014, 06:57:24 PM »

But the route to where? He knew where it was going and how it would get there despite only briefly glancing at it and having no other information to go on. Unless he has ESP or is literally magic I just don't understand how he would know all that.

It was a cab. Sherlock knows the area, including road-blocks, lights, one-way signs, whatever. The cab was facing a particular direction. It seems like the area had pretty narrow roads, since it is a city, there's not many routes you can go. Sherlock deduced from the direction the car was initialing heading that there was only ONE way the cab could logically go if the cabbie knew what he was doing.

There's also this thing about taxi drivers having "The Knowledge".
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/9421234/Taxi-drivers-and-the-importance-of-The-Knowledge.html

Sherlock is presumably aware of "The knowledge" and used it to his advantage.

I'd also like to add that Sherlock had a visual on the cab during some of the chase, so he could keep track of where it was going.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 07:12:57 PM by Vauxhall »

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2014, 08:09:15 PM »
The "the inside of her ring is clean so she must be a serial adulteress" deduction was dumb too.  Lots of people simply fidget with their rings.  Bah.  Anyway, "A Scandal in Belgravia" is the weakest one I've seen so far.  What a confusing, convoluted mess.

Ghost of V

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2014, 06:21:45 PM »
The "the inside of her ring is clean so she must be a serial adulteress" deduction was dumb too.  Lots of people simply fidget with their rings.  Bah.  Anyway, "A Scandal in Belgravia" is the weakest one I've seen so far.  What a confusing, convoluted mess.

I disliked that episode as well, but still thought it was better than "The Blind Banker". That episode was trash until the sewer scene at the end where Sherlock acts like Batman.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2014, 06:26:26 PM »
The finale of the second season - or series, whatever - is the best episode I've seen so far.  However, I have to say that I really didn't like how they handled Moriarty.  The original character was already interesting, and could have easily been updated for modern times.  For the show to throw all that out the window and just go with a blatant rip-off of the Joker was very disappointing.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 06:05:08 PM by Saddam Hussein »

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2014, 06:45:19 PM »
a blatant ripoff of the Joker was very disappointing.

Why, because he's crazy and bad? I don't think the Joker was the first crazy and bad guy. Moriarty wasn't actually given much page time in the original stories, but what we saw and heard of him indicated that he was brilliant and prone to violent outbursts, just like he's portrayed in the BBC series. Besides, Batman was inspired in part by Sherlock Holmes, so checkmate comic book nerds.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2014, 08:04:36 PM »
Yes, he was brilliant and prone to violent outbursts.  But he wasn't a deranged lunatic who committed crimes and killed people just for fun, and he wasn't a hammy eccentric constantly pulling silly faces and making dumb jokes.  That's completely the Joker.  Look, here's Moffat admitting that Moriarty basically has nothing to do with the original character:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2010/aug/10/sherlock-second-series-bbc

"We knew what we wanted to do with Moriarty from the very beginning. Moriarty is usually a rather dull, rather posh villain so we thought someone who was genuinely properly frightening. Someone who's an absolute psycho," Moffat said.

"Yeah, a brilliant math professor who's secretly a ruthless mob boss?  Booooooooring!  Zero potential there.  Let's have him be a scenery-chewing cartoon character instead.  Viewers will be pissing themselves with fear!"
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 05:35:42 PM by Saddam Hussein »