Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump
« Reply #4540 on: November 22, 2019, 05:13:25 AM »
This sounds like the classic jingoistic argument of "if we don't get them now, they'll get stronger, and then they'll get us!"

The West has a terrible track record of dismantling bad regimes and leaving worse regimes in place. I doubt they'd do anything differently this time around.

Its less "They will get us" and more "They're pretty damn evil to their own people but they have nukes so we can't stop them from oppressing their people." Nor will internal revolutions work as said leaders are more likely to suicide than be dethroned.  ( And by suicide I mean nuke themselves and everyone nearby)

And personally, I'd either have S. Korea manage a new governement or, better still, China.  If only to give the N. Korean people a face they were told isn't evil.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4541 on: November 25, 2019, 10:31:30 AM »
Schiff: Impeachment Report Now Being Written, But More Hearings Still Possible https://n.pr/2OJveuR

Basically they're gearing up for impeachment.  A federal judge will rule today if those who refuse the subpoenas  can do so if the WH says not to.  And Trump finally got told that if he goes to Trial, he'll win because Republicans would never go against their leader.  Oh and he can pull the whistleblower and Schiff up to the stand.  They forgot to say he could be put on the stand.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4542 on: December 04, 2019, 05:21:12 PM »

« Reply #4543 on: December 05, 2019, 04:28:28 PM »
The whole "quid pro quo" thing was just a diversion tactic, as usual, by Trump. What amazes me is how many people buy into it.
There needn't be any quid pro quo for what he did to be unethical or even illegal. He asked a foreign power to "investigate" a political rival. Coincidentally the frontrunner and one who beats him in all the polls.
Add in the fact that he said "but let me ask you a favor though" in response to the military aid int the transcript, then proceeded to withhold said aid until after the whistleblower made the report, and you have even more damning evidence.

The Republican attitude on this reeks. It's disturbing. Go back and look at how people like Lindsey Graham treated Clinton for lying about a BJ, and compare it with how they're treating this.
I sense some severe hypocrisy if this ever happens again in the future... Kinda like the national deficit hypocrisy.
A VERY slippery slope, if Republicans follow through with this line of thinking.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4544 on: December 05, 2019, 05:57:50 PM »
So the dems will officially draft impeachment articles.
Odds are good Trump is gonna be impeached.

Then he'll try to call irrelevant witnesses to the stand who will then call his ass to the stand and all hell will break loose.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4545 on: December 05, 2019, 06:05:05 PM »

The odds are definitely not good. The Republican senate is not going to impeach.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4546 on: December 05, 2019, 07:13:30 PM »

The odds are definitely not good. The Republican senate is not going to impeach.
O.o
Umm....
Impeachment does not mean removal.  Impeachment just means "Trial in the senate".  Senate republicans do not get to vote if Trump is impeached or not house republicans do.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4547 on: December 05, 2019, 07:50:37 PM »

O.o
Umm....
Impeachment does not mean removal.  Impeachment just means "Trial in the senate".  Senate republicans do not get to vote if Trump is impeached or not house republicans do.

Thank you for the pedantry. When people use the term colloquially in the US, it typically refers to entire process, not just the articles of impeachment.

We have known for a while that the Democrats would send this to the senate where nothing will come of it.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4548 on: December 05, 2019, 08:36:37 PM »

O.o
Umm....

Thank you for the pedantry. When people use the term colloquially in the US, it typically refers to entire process, not just the articles of impeachment.

We have known for a while that the Democrats would send this to the senate where nothing will come of it.
And people who do are dumb.  Because they also say "Bill Clinton was impeached" which would be wrong if they meant he was removed from office.

Sorry but I see enough people (Trump included) who are screaming the same thing: that impeachment somehow means he'll be removed.  They also say the election of 2016 will be overturned as though somehow Hillary Clinton will become president.  It's nonsense and aggrevating.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4549 on: December 05, 2019, 08:50:10 PM »
And people who do are dumb.
Which is why I assumed that is what you meant  :-B

Because they also say "Bill Clinton was impeached" which would be wrong if they meant he was removed from office.
Given that no US President has ever been removed from office via impeachment, yes that would be dumb.

Sorry but I see enough people (Trump included) who are screaming the same thing: that impeachment somehow means he'll be removed.  They also say the election of 2016 will be overturned as though somehow Hillary Clinton will become president.  It's nonsense and aggrevating.
I mean, maybe the stars align and John Bolton gets called and adds some previously unheard information that gets Trump removed We can hope.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4550 on: December 05, 2019, 09:07:49 PM »
Nothing short of Trump losing his cool and exploding in a violent rage on the senate floor while being questioned is gonna change a damn thing.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #4551 on: December 06, 2019, 05:00:59 AM »
Nothing short of Trump losing his cool and exploding in a violent rage on the senate floor while being questioned is gonna change a damn thing.

You seriously think he'd lose support among Republicans for that? They would fall over themselves praising his righteous anger and passionate defense of his office.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4552 on: December 06, 2019, 07:56:49 AM »

You seriously think he'd lose support among Republicans for that? They would fall over themselves praising his righteous anger and passionate defense of his office.

I'd imagine the republicans might vote against him if he starts physically besting other senators, yes.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #4553 on: December 06, 2019, 06:05:18 PM »
Republicans scrambled to avoid criticizing the newly-elected congressman Greg Gianforte when he assaulted a journalist, and conservative media, as well as Trump himself, largely praised him for it. And again, that was just a newly-elected congressman. Yes, they would defend Trump if he physically assaulted someone, even a senator.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4554 on: December 06, 2019, 07:05:20 PM »
Republicans scrambled to avoid criticizing the newly-elected congressman Greg Gianforte when he assaulted a journalist, and conservative media, as well as Trump himself, largely praised him for it. And again, that was just a newly-elected congressman. Yes, they would defend Trump if he physically assaulted someone, even a senator.

You know what?  Fuck them all.  I hope they all die in a fire, set by a disgruntled intern.  Bunch of fuckers.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4555 on: December 07, 2019, 07:35:50 AM »
White House Rules Out Participating In House Impeachment Inquiry Process https://n.pr/2DPHl4r

Trump bitching about not being represented and the process being unfair while refusing to participate.

« Reply #4556 on: December 07, 2019, 08:00:18 AM »
Yeah, I was a registered republican in the initial days of Bush Jr. It was a long process, but I don't see myself voting red again in the near future. It has rapidly became a cult of personality since 2016. Anything he does is tolerated, and in most cases they praise it. Many even believe he has been sent by god. Very troubling attitudes.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #4557 on: December 07, 2019, 04:43:48 PM »
It makes me wonder what will happen when Trump finally leaves office, whether in one year or five, and his sycophants in Congress try to adjust themselves to being normal politicians who believe in an actual political ideology rather than the tireless defense of one man and his many, many flaws. History will not look kindly on Trump and his supporters, and I suspect there's going to be a lot of arguing in the future about who had the courage to stand by their beliefs and who sold out their principles to align themselves with Trump and his blatant self-interest.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #4558 on: December 08, 2019, 07:05:57 AM »
Anything he does is tolerated

That’s because the alternative is a circus troupe that’s obsessed with forced diversity, quashing freedom of expression, and bending over backwards for maliciously oppressed Tumblr orcs who already have the same rights as anyone else anyway.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4559 on: December 08, 2019, 09:13:42 AM »
Anything he does is tolerated

That’s because the alternative is a circus troupe that’s obsessed with forced diversity, quashing freedom of expression, and bending over backwards for maliciously oppressed Tumblr orcs who already have the same rights as anyone else anyway.
??
The alternative to Trump is Trump?