Re: 2016 US Presidential Race
« Reply #640 on: April 13, 2016, 02:45:21 AM »
Okay, so he'd make another joke about how funny and German his name is. I don't see where you're going with this.
i'm saying that the joke has nothing to do with the nationality of the name.  that's why the oliver bit never mentions the nationality of the name or even that it's foreign.  the joke is about the way these two words sound in contrast to one another.  it's not even about the name sounding funny because it's foreign.

wouldn't the joke be just as funny/sensical if, hypothetically, the name 'drumpf' was an english name?  how would the bit be any different?

if the clintons used to be the comptons, i would think that was p funny.  would you not?  that's a funny juxtaposition.
I don't get it.
clinton is a prestigious name, and compton is a shitty neighborhood in los angeles.  'clinton' isn't an onomatopoeia, and i'm not a comedy writer; best i could do off the top of my head.  the point is that i would definitely find equal humor in a bit about how the clinton's used to have a name that sounded distinctly un-prestigious. 

You just kind of rocked up and assumed I'm talking about you.
only when you were talking directly to me.  you quoted me and asked me to imagine the outrage at a similar joke involving hilary, then said "you people are pathetic."  you're taking my remarks out of context.  the statements about you being bothered are in response to "you people are pathetic."  prior to that i entered the conversation at my leisure because it's a web forum and not a dinner party.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: April 13, 2016, 09:08:15 AM »
You have to work really hard to assign racism to what Oliver said, really hard. But the master hair splitter has put in that work, and it’s a marvel. Missing/twisting the point is an art form only this boy has the motivation to master, or perhaps I am being ungenerous, and when he says “I don’t get it”  maybe this is the case, humour (going on every post of his I’ve read) does seems an alien concept (racism?).
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 11:53:06 AM by Jura-Glenlivet »
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

Offline Pongo

• Most Educated Flat-Earther
  • Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: April 13, 2016, 12:52:03 PM »
Oh, don't worry, I wasn't hoping to convince you. I was mostly curious to see if I'm missing something, or if you're just racist (so much that you're willing to go back 400 years in your desperate search. You're beating birthers on that front by quite a margin!). But no matter how many opportunities I give you to explain yourselves, all you have to say is "it's just a prank bro!" or "wow how ridiculous!"

EDIT: Actually, no, I take it back. You did partially admit it.

Yes, we find many foreign names humorous sounding. If you want to argue there's insidious racism motivating that you are entitled to your opinion

Yes, I'm entitled to my opinion that things which are xenophobic by definition are, in fact, xenophobic. Thank you for allowing me to consider that truism.

I can't speak for others, but for me it's pure unbridled racism. When Taylor Swift said that haters gunna hate (hate hate hate hate), she was literally talking about me.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: April 13, 2016, 03:52:28 PM »
For it to be -phobic, it must by definition, be driven by fear.
You're being overly restrictive. While most -phobias are indeed defined by fear, words such as homophobia and xenophobia have clearly evolved past that constraint. A dislike or prejudice are sufficient, it doesn't have to be rooted in fear.

wouldn't the joke be just as funny/sensical if, hypothetically, the name 'drumpf' was an english name?  how would the bit be any different?
Hypothetically, yes; but that ignores like half of society. You wouldn't find an English name that sounds like something something being slapped across the face with wet money???, because you're already familiar with English names. The unfamiliarity is pretty much required for the joke to work. (And likely the reason why I'm not finding it funny no matter how hard I squint my eyes - I don't find German names to be unfamiliar or uncommon)

Onomatopoeia can easily be another explanation, which is the reason John Oliver offers, so why do you dismiss that out of hand?
I don't dismiss it - I simply point out that it's completely irrelevant. The explanations of "German names are funny" and "German names are funny because they sound like farting noises or whatever" both share the same element of xenophobia.

You have to work really hard to assign racism to what Oliver said, really hard. But the master hair splitter has put in that work, and it’s a marvel. Missing/twisting the point is an art form only this boy has the motivation to master, or perhaps I am being ungenerous, and when he says “I don’t get it”  maybe this is the case, humour (going on every post of his I’ve read) does seems an alien concept (racism?).
Ah yes, another fantastic response of the "it's just a prank bro!!!!" variety. Thank you for your excellent contribution.

I'll have you know that I have an excellent sense of humour. I have the best humour. Everyone knows that, and everyone loves my humour. And I can make America humorous again. We will have jokes again if I win. And I will win, because I'm a winner.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 03:59:26 PM by SexWarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #644 on: April 13, 2016, 04:19:05 PM »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: April 13, 2016, 04:32:47 PM »
Can we just agree to disagree and move on?
But calling liberals racist is hilarious.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/13/us/politics/donald-trump-losing-ground-tries-to-blame-the-system.html
Meh. The two main parties in America are private entities and they can do whatever the heck they want. It was always an innate risk associated with that structure. However, as far as I understand, there's nothing stopping Trump/Sanders from running as independents, and if the system truly is rigged, they should stand a good chance to succeed (and perhaps change the system while they're at it)

Rama Set

« Reply #646 on: April 13, 2016, 04:36:20 PM »
Baby Jebus, Sandokhan's prediction is coming true...

« Reply #647 on: April 13, 2016, 04:41:22 PM »
Can we just agree to disagree and move on?
But calling liberals racist is hilarious.
lol called it

I'll have you know that I have an excellent sense of humour. I have the best humour. Everyone knows that, and everyone loves my humour. And I can make America humorous again. We will have jokes again if I win. And I will win, because I'm a winner.
2016 joke of the year
/sincere
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 04:43:25 PM by garygreen »
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: April 13, 2016, 05:04:40 PM »
Intermission: if you Google "zodiac killer" an image of Ted Cruz is genuinely the first image on the Google images tab.

This fun fact brought to you by TRUMP. continue whatever it is you guys are arguing about now.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: April 13, 2016, 07:03:43 PM »
Hypothetically, yes; but that ignores like half of society. You wouldn't find an English name that sounds like something something being slapped across the face with wet money???, because you're already familiar with English names. The unfamiliarity is pretty much required for the joke to work. (And likely the reason why I'm not finding it funny no matter how hard I squint my eyes - I don't find German names to be unfamiliar or uncommon)

I don't necessarily agree with that, there are English names I find to sound goofy and onomatopoeic despite familiarity, like "Walsh", which sounds to me like someone being submerged in a vat of oil, despite the fact that there are several Walsh's in my life. Honestly it's the only one I can think of off the top of my head, but "Drumpf" has the distinct advantage of the "pf" sound at the end, and is the only German name I can think of that sounds goofy to me. It sounds vaguely like an onomatopoeia for light contact, like "thump", "boff", whatever. Unfamiliarity isn't necessary at all for that kind of humour, just a lucky collection of letters in the right order. Like how I find the surname "Welch" to be awkwardly funny because it sounds vaguely like some kind of squelching sound.

I mean, "everything is racist" is great and all, I know Tumblr has imparted that wisdom onto the world, but I think sometimes things are a lot more simple.

EDIT: I've always found "Bush" kind of humourous, mainly because it sounds like it'd be a sound effect for punching in either the '60s Batman or the comics.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

« Reply #650 on: April 14, 2016, 12:47:15 AM »
Can we just agree to disagree and move on?  Discuss this instead:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/13/us/politics/donald-trump-losing-ground-tries-to-blame-the-system.html
Dumb people don't understand politics and instead of using Google and maybe learning something they get mad.
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: April 14, 2016, 01:10:09 AM »
Dumb people don't understand politics and instead of using Google and maybe learning something they get mad.

Ah yes, the classic "hurr durr dems da rulez" defense. This reminds me of Hitchhiker's Guide to Galaxy, where Arthur's house was about to be demolished to build a bypass and it was insisted that this was perfectly okay because the ruling regarding the demolition was readily available.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 01:16:18 AM by Rushy »

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: April 14, 2016, 02:53:59 PM »
Oh, don't worry, I wasn't hoping to convince you.

Oh but you really have. I find foreign names with weird strings of letters funny, sometimes hilarious (I laughed out loud when I saw your real name for the first time, for example) and I never realized until now what a horrible person that makes me. I see now, American comedy has firm roots in racism and John Oliver is no better than a 1940s minstrel show.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: April 14, 2016, 04:36:09 PM »
Oh but you really have. I find foreign names with weird strings of letters funny, sometimes hilarious (I laughed out loud when I saw your real name for the first time, for example) and I never realized until now what a horrible person that makes me. I see now, American comedy has firm roots in racism and John Oliver is no better than a 1940s minstrel show.
Another victory for common sense and reason; although I feel like you're denigrating minstrel shows here by comparing them to John Oliver. You still have much to learn.

I mean, seriously, you're comparing this:

to this:

I've always found "Bush" kind of humourous, mainly because it sounds like it'd be a sound effect for punching in either the '60s Batman or the comics.
And yet you don't see hashtag campaigns demanding that Bush changes his surname to something else to make it more or less "funny".
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 04:41:56 PM by SexWarrior »

Rama Set

« Reply #654 on: April 14, 2016, 06:25:09 PM »

I've always found "Bush" kind of humourous, mainly because it sounds like it'd be a sound effect for punching in either the '60s Batman or the comics.
And yet you don't see hashtag campaigns demanding that Bush changes his surname to something else to make it more or less "funny".

You also don't see Bush contending for the GOP nomination. 

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: April 14, 2016, 06:52:03 PM »
Jeb had his prime, even if it didn't end so well. So, uh, yeah, you do see Bush contending for the GOP nomination.

Rama Set

« Reply #656 on: April 14, 2016, 09:03:12 PM »
Jeb had his prime, even if it didn't end so well. So, uh, yeah, you do see Bush contending for the GOP nomination.

He conceded over a month ago... He is not contending, and he never had the level of national attention or national incredulity that Trump had/has either.  For very obvious reasons, which you are likely over looking on purpose, Trump is a preferred targetfor satire and Bush is not.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #657 on: April 14, 2016, 09:47:34 PM »
Remember that Oliver was arguing that Trump owes at least part of his popularity to the semantic and phonetic appeal of his name.  It wouldn't make sense from a satirical point of view to be making jokes about what Bush or Clinton's names ought to be.

« Reply #658 on: April 14, 2016, 10:10:03 PM »
Oliver was also making the claim that Trump was being hypocritical when he attacked Jon Stewart for his name change from Leibowitz to Stewart.  Granted, the situations aren't the same, Stewart changed his while Trump's ancestor was the one who made the change. Without that attack on Stewart's name, I'd be surprised if Drumpf would have ever found the light of day.
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4372969,00.html

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: April 14, 2016, 11:50:50 PM »
The Florida prosecutor's office decided not to charge Corey Lewandowski and now Fields once again looks like an idiot playing the victim. Discuss.