Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
Re: Bye Bye Abortion
« Reply #620 on: August 07, 2022, 05:25:00 PM »
Abortion is not banned in the US, at all, period, end of sentence.
*sigh* Abortion is not banned at a federal level.  However, a number of states within the US do ban (legally forbid) abortion, with certain limited exceptions.  I'm not sure how you're unable (or, more likely, unwilling) to understand that.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #621 on: August 07, 2022, 05:48:22 PM »
Abortion is not banned in the US, at all, period, end of sentence.
*sigh* Abortion is not banned at a federal level.  However, a number of states within the US do ban (legally forbid) abortion, with certain limited exceptions.  I'm not sure how you're unable (or, more likely, unwilling) to understand that.
The word ban does not = the term, "limited exceptions," does it?
To be honest I am getting pretty bored of this place.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #622 on: August 07, 2022, 07:14:03 PM »
Are you being pedantic or just trolling?  Either way, you aren't adding anything to the discussion (whatever it is by now).

BTW, I said abortion is banned with limited exceptions.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 07:15:51 PM by markjo »

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #623 on: August 07, 2022, 08:13:05 PM »
Abortion isn't even banned yet, is it?

Will be in Tennessee in a couple of weeks:

Abortion in Tennessee will be illegal from fertilization beginning August 25, 2022, thirty days after the Tennessee Attorney General notified the Tennessee Code Commission that Roe v. Wade was overturned on June 24, 2022,[1][2][3][4] a notification that occurred on July 26, 2022.
Oh, so the Indiana thing is just fake news, right?

And even then, abortion will not be banned or even illegal in Tennessee.

When does fertilization occur?

The Tennessee trigger law bans all abortions (Including rape and incest) with the exception of Dr. proven threat to life of the mother.

SECTION 2. Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 39, Chapter 15, Part 2, is amended by adding the following as a new section:
(2) "Fertilization" means that point in time when a male human sperm penetrates the zona pellucida of a female human ovum;

If you want to play semantics...

ban /ban/
noun
1: an official or legal prohibition.

prohibition /ˌprō(h)əˈbiSH(ə)n/
noun
1: the act of prohibiting by authority. 2 : an order to restrain or stop. 3 often capitalized : the forbidding by law of the manufacture, transportation, and sale of alcoholic liquors except for medicinal and sacramental purposes.

"Bans" can include "exceptions".

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #624 on: August 07, 2022, 08:40:18 PM »
Are you being pedantic or just trolling?  Either way, you aren't adding anything to the discussion (whatever it is by now).

BTW, I said abortion is banned with limited exceptions.
I am not being pedantic.

If one states, "There are limited exceptions allowing for abortions," that statement is clear and meaningful.

Adding the word "banned" is actually pedantic.

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #625 on: August 07, 2022, 08:44:24 PM »
Abortion isn't even banned yet, is it?

Will be in Tennessee in a couple of weeks:

Abortion in Tennessee will be illegal from fertilization beginning August 25, 2022, thirty days after the Tennessee Attorney General notified the Tennessee Code Commission that Roe v. Wade was overturned on June 24, 2022,[1][2][3][4] a notification that occurred on July 26, 2022.
Oh, so the Indiana thing is just fake news, right?

And even then, abortion will not be banned or even illegal in Tennessee.

When does fertilization occur?

The Tennessee trigger law bans all abortions (Including rape and incest) with the exception of Dr. proven threat to life of the mother.

SECTION 2. Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 39, Chapter 15, Part 2, is amended by adding the following as a new section:
(2) "Fertilization" means that point in time when a male human sperm penetrates the zona pellucida of a female human ovum;

If you want to play semantics...

ban /ban/
noun
1: an official or legal prohibition.

prohibition /ˌprō(h)əˈbiSH(ə)n/
noun
1: the act of prohibiting by authority. 2 : an order to restrain or stop. 3 often capitalized : the forbidding by law of the manufacture, transportation, and sale of alcoholic liquors except for medicinal and sacramental purposes.

"Bans" can include "exceptions".
Abortion is not banned, however.

Neither is the sale of alcohol.

Performance of either is restricted, not banned.

Both have been and will continue to be.

Rama Set

« Reply #626 on: August 08, 2022, 12:31:35 AM »
So yes, pedantry. Exactly pedantry.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #627 on: August 08, 2022, 12:36:38 AM »
So yes, pedantry. Exactly pedantry.
I don't know about that.  I'm leaning towards trolling.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #628 on: August 08, 2022, 01:31:40 AM »
I guess we can go with this in Tennessee then:

- Abortions in the case of rape or incest are banned
- Abortions after fertilization (point in time when a male human sperm penetrates the zona pellucida of a female human ovum) are banned
- Abortions, if a Dr can convince a court that the woman's life is in danger, are not banned*

*(c) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under subsection (b), which must be proven by a preponderance of the evidence, that:
(1) The abortion was performed or attempted by a licensed physician;
(2) The physician determined, in the physician's good faith medical judgment, based upon the facts known to the physician at the time, that the abortion was necessary to prevent the death of the pregnant woman or to prevent serious risk of substantial and irreversible impairment of a major bodily function of the pregnant woman. No abortion shall be deemed authorized under this subdivision (c)(2) if performed on the basis of a claim or a diagnosis that the woman will engage in conduct that would result in her death or substantial and irreversible impairment of a major bodily function or for any reason relating to her mental health

The bolded bit of SB 1257 is interesting. Example, if a physician determines that a woman is suicidal because of her rape or incest derived pregnancy and believes she will attempt suicide because of the pregnancy and s/he performs an abortion based upon that, that physician will be charged with a Class C felony.

BillO

Re: Buy Illegal Abortion
« Reply #629 on: August 08, 2022, 02:08:06 AM »
Fixed the title for U guyzzzz.

I do understand this is, at first sight, a low value post.  But upon further reflection I am sure you all know this is where things are heading in many places in the US.  It can't be anything but obvious that things will return to the way they were.  Even died in the wool fanatics of misogyny and religious mansplainin' (Tom and Achtung80. talking to you guys here) will have to admit that if it is not available legally it will promote a criminal source just like it did in the past.

I guess some intense assholes believe that women should die horribly from infection due to badly implemented illegal procedures rather than live their life after having a humanely justifiable professional abortion.

It's not Like Tom Turkey or Achtung80 will ever need personally to face this.  So what's it to them?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 02:24:51 AM by BillO »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: August 08, 2022, 03:00:18 AM »
Even died in the wool fanatics of misogyny and religious mansplainin' (Tom and Achtung80. talking to you guys here) will have to admit that if it is not available legally it will promote a criminal source

Alternatively:

BillO

« Reply #631 on: August 08, 2022, 03:08:21 AM »
Alternatively:

Holy confirmation bias Batman!  No surprise really.  Tom you have an unique way for dragging up the most incredible trash to support your mental state.  This was far more than likely posted in jest.  The fact you don't see that is kind of sad.  Keep them blinders on Tommy boy.

Offline ohplease

• View Profile
« Reply #632 on: August 08, 2022, 03:41:45 AM »
Neither Tom nor Action80 are here to actually debate the merits of anything but merely to argue.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: August 08, 2022, 03:46:46 AM »
If you guys have nothing to post except a low content post, I would suggest not posting.

BillO

« Reply #634 on: August 08, 2022, 04:29:38 AM »
If you guys have nothing to post except a low content post, I would suggest not posting.
I disagree. The 2nd part of my last post was pertinent to the discussion.  The link you posted contained content that was an obvious exaggerated reaction to the change in law.  Do I really have to explain this to you?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: August 08, 2022, 04:33:34 AM »
I disagree. The 2nd part of my last post was pertinent to the discussion.  The link you posted contained content that was an obvious exaggerated reaction to the change in law.  Do I really have to explain this to you?

Remarks like "That might be a joke" is a fairly low content response. Was I supposed to respond that it might not be, where you again respond that it might be?

I will hold out until you have something legitimate to argue.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #636 on: August 08, 2022, 04:40:47 AM »

It doesn't get more low content than posting some random non-attributable tweet from one individual on the planet talking about a girls-night-out conversation. It literally means nothing and is completely irrelevant.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: August 08, 2022, 04:43:17 AM »

It doesn't get more low content than posting some random non-attributable tweet from one individual on the planet talking about a girls-night-out conversation. It literally means nothing and is completely irrelevant.

Wrong. It does not need to be attributable, or have even occurred, to convey the idea that women could just opt for higher standards and marriage.

An argument was expressed there, and it was not directly addressed.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 04:45:38 AM by Tom Bishop »

BillO

« Reply #638 on: August 08, 2022, 04:44:55 AM »
Remarks like "That might be a joke" is a fairly low content response. Was I supposed to respond that it might not be, where you again respond that it might be?

I will hold out until you have something legitimate to argue.
Tom, your inability to recognize sarcasm is not my responsibility.  I can't help you with that in any reasonable way here.  The link you posted was as sarcastic as sarcasm can get.  Sorry you don't get it. Don't pout, try again.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: August 08, 2022, 05:21:56 AM »
It does not matter if it occurred or not. The point is clearly that women can just get higher standards or opt for marriage.

If you don't actually have an argument against that I would suggest you refrain from ranting irrelevance and how bad you think your opponent is.