Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
On the notion of geocentrism
« on: November 20, 2018, 05:21:13 AM »
I recently came across an interesting presentation on geocentricism by Robert Segunis, which expresses his views. While Segunis believes that the earth is round, he believes that the earth is motionless, and takes us through much of the evidence for a motionless earth. Segunis talks about the motionless earth experiments, providing the words of various surprised physicists who refuse to believe that the earth is motionless, and looks at various cosmological data.

One thing I could never quite understand about geocentism (flat or round) is the notion of a stationary earth.  To me, it doesn't stand up to Occam's Razor.  After all, which is the simpler explanation: the entire universe containing countless celestial bodies revolves around the earth in near perfect lockstep producing effects like the long exposure star trails that we all know and love; or the earth spins on its axis while the rest of the universe stays relatively still producing the same effect.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Dr Van Nostrand

• There may be something to this 'Matrix' stuff...
    • View Profile
Re: On the notion of geocentrism
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 04:47:47 PM »
I think that geocentrism spent a lot of its time wrapped up with theology which made it simple.

"God said it, I believe it and that's that."     It doesn't get much simpler.

of course, it went on to, "Some dude said God said it, I believe it , that's that."

Another variant, "The Church said God said it, I believe it, that's that...  otherwise they'll put me in prison."

Round Earther patiently looking for a better deal...

If the world is flat, it means that I have been deceived by a global, multi-generational conspiracy spending trillions of dollars over hundreds of years.
If the world is round, it means that you’re just an idiot who believes stupid crap on the internet.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Re: On the notion of geocentrism
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 07:59:35 PM »
That was my question, too. In his book Galileo was Wrong I found that Segunis thinks that the universe which revolves around the earth is much smaller than is speculated by astronomy.