Re: Hey Flat Earthers, Just wondering...
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2018, 06:58:50 AM »
Your close family lied to you and you are perpetuating that lie here on a forum.

There are no commercial flights that take place within the Antarctic Circle.

There are no commercial flights that fly within a few thousand miles of the Ice Wall.
Dude.
You can literally go there. To the actual South Pole. It's very expensive, because it's niche, to say the least, but there are companies who will take you there.

https://www.polar-quest.com/trips/antarctica/fly-to-the-south-pole

Shouting "fake" and "lies" at everything which doesn't match your world view is not being a skeptic, it's just denial.
Listen, this is certainly not a case of shouting "fake and lies."

The OP made a statement (people on flights from Australia to South America can see Antarctica) that was patently untrue.

How is that untrue? Here's a video of flying from Australia to South America on a commercial jet and seeing Antarctica:

Lots of snow and ice does not equal Antarctica.

It is a fact no commercial flights take place within any portion of Antarctic airspace.

You are flat (pun intended) out wrong as always. Quantas from Sydney to Santiago flies over the antartic coastline. Quantas also offer 13 hour sightseeing flights to Antartica.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2018, 09:27:35 AM »

What does it equal?  A snowstorm near Cape Town?  Winter in Sydney?
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline KevAmiga

• Round and round we go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2018, 10:49:17 AM »
I guess it would be nice to give this a go.

http://www.antarcticaflights.com.au/

One day, ill win the lotto. Then offer to pay for some FE chaps to come with me on a flight, and put an end to this nonsense :)

Offline Dither

• The night above the dingle starry,
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2018, 01:46:34 PM »
One day, ill win the lotto. Then offer to pay for some FE chaps to come with me on a flight, and put an end to this nonsense :)

Why win Lotto? Prices start at $1200 dollars.

And this won't prove anything to a committed FEer because flying over a section of Antartica is simply that.
Remember, its a big big place, even on a flat earth map, obviously the route is fixed by the airline.
I personally would love to take this flight just to see it, (Antartica) it wouldn't change my view on FET.

And on a side note, I hope you do win lotto one day  ;)
A lie will make it around the world before the truth has time to put on its shoes.

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2018, 03:42:28 PM »
What people see out the plane window is subjective. Flight times are not - they are openly published and bookable by anyone.

As per the OP, can any flat earth proponents suggest how the published flight times between Australia and South America are achievable given the relative distances required on a flat earth?

If you are flying between southern points on continents in the southern hemisphere and see a large ice-covered body of land its a safe bet what you are seeing.
I'm not disputing it, just that FE proponents focus on refuting this part of the original argument on the basis that it is subjective ("passengers aren't seeing what they think they are seeing", "I didn't personally see it so how do I know it's true" etc. etc.). This shifts all the focus away from the part of the original argument that is undeniable i.e. published flight times between Australia and South America. (Sydney to Santiago is just over 12hrs) I'm interested to know how a flat earth proponent explains this flight time, relative to similar flight times between Sydney and other parts of the world (to Dubai ~14.5hrs, to Los Angeles 14hrs). All these relative flight times correspond to the relative distances between Sydney and these places in the globe view.

So instead of going round in circles with claim and counter claim, the question remains, how is it possible in FE to get from Australia to South America in a similar time to that taken to get to Western USA or the Middle East?

Offline Westprog

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2018, 04:18:10 PM »

So instead of going round in circles with claim and counter claim, the question remains, how is it possible in FE to get from Australia to South America in a similar time to that taken to get to Western USA or the Middle East?

And watch that tumbleweed tumble.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2018, 04:43:33 PM »
And watch that tumbleweed tumble.

For someone who is clearly so smart and witty, you sure do seem to have a hard time with incredibly simple rules. Last warning.

Online Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2018, 05:30:27 PM »
Pete, you're better than that.   I have rarely seen you fall into the "did not did not" method of argument.
That's not what I'm saying. I'm not suggesting that these expeditions didn't take place. I do, however, question the view that following standard navigational equipment around the Ice Wall is in any way conclusive.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Frocious

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2018, 06:37:41 PM »

Is anyone going to answer the question at the heart of this thread?

« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2018, 06:38:05 PM »
Pete, you're better than that.   I have rarely seen you fall into the "did not did not" method of argument.
That's not what I'm saying. I'm not suggesting that these expeditions didn't take place. I do, however, question the view that following standard navigational equipment around the Ice Wall is in any way conclusive.
Why should that be?  Current equipment is accurate and repeatable as is the WGS-84 model.

wRadion

« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2018, 12:43:22 PM »

Can you just answer the questions? You know, those sentences ending with an interrogation point : "?" :
Why would flights travel in a massive circle around the edge of the flat world when they could simply pass over the north pole in a much more direct route, if your projection is true? Wouldn't it cost far more in fueling costs for the plane to travel in a massive circle around the world than simply over the curved surface of the world? Why would airliner companies be willing to spend so much more money on flights such as this than to show that the world is flat?

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2018, 12:45:58 PM »
I do, however, question the view that following standard navigational equipment around the Ice Wall is in any way conclusive.

What probable cause is there for it to be inconclusive?

You're referring to "standard" navigation equipment. Are you aware of any other "non-standard" kind? If so, what is it?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 12:47:33 PM by Tumeni »
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline Westprog

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2018, 01:58:05 PM »

And this question has still been unanswered. But it has been noticed, because for saying it wouldn't be answered, I got 

For someone who is clearly so smart and witty, you sure do seem to have a hard time with incredibly simple rules. Last warning.

So there are people reading this thread, but they're more concerned that their failure to address these points not be noticed than they are interested in actually addressing them.

I imagine that we'll be told that the total incompatibility between Southern Hemisphere flight times and any possible flat Earth map is fully covered in the FAQ, and there's no need to actually, y'know, debate it on the Flat Earth Debate forum.

Here's an idea - why not assemble a list of Frequently Unanswered Questions? So when someone asks about the seasons south of the Equator, or ships disappearing hull first, or how the Sun stays the same apparent size when supposedly moving away, then we can just say "That's a total FUQ".

Offline Frocious

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2018, 04:45:21 PM »

Can you just answer the questions? You know, those sentences ending with an interrogation point : "?" :
Why would flights travel in a massive circle around the edge of the flat world when they could simply pass over the north pole in a much more direct route, if your projection is true? Wouldn't it cost far more in fueling costs for the plane to travel in a massive circle around the world than simply over the curved surface of the world? Why would airliner companies be willing to spend so much more money on flights such as this than to show that the world is flat?

Those are good questions, but they are off-topic. Can we keep this thread focused on the OP's question? That way we might be able to get a real answer.

Here is the question: "How is it possible in FE to get from Australia to South America in a similar time to that taken to get to Western USA or the Middle East?"

Edit: I made a mistake. I did not realize the off-topic questions I saw were your signature.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 04:47:20 PM by Frocious »

wRadion

« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2018, 05:13:19 PM »
I literally quoted the OP's questions...

« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2018, 05:48:12 PM »

Given this has been up for a few days and the topic is still active, is the lack of response from any of the flat earth faithful a concession that you don't know?

Offline Frocious

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2018, 03:10:17 PM »

Given this has been up for a few days and the topic is still active, is the lack of response from any of the flat earth faithful a concession that you don't know?

Has an answer been found yet?

totallackey

« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2018, 01:15:27 PM »
Your close family lied to you and you are perpetuating that lie here on a forum.

There are no commercial flights that fly within a few thousand miles of the Ice Wall.
Dude.
You can literally go there. To the actual South Pole. It's very expensive, because it's niche, to say the least, but there are companies who will take you there.

Shouting "fake" and "lies" at everything which doesn't match your world view is not being a skeptic, it's just denial.

The OP made a statement (people on flights from Australia to South America can see Antarctica) that was patently untrue.

How is that untrue? Here's a video of flying from Australia to South America on a commercial jet and seeing Antarctica:

It is a fact no commercial flights take place within any portion of Antarctic airspace.

You are flat (pun intended) out wrong as always. Quantas from Sydney to Santiago flies over the antartic coastline. Quantas also offer 13 hour sightseeing flights to Antartica.
No it does not.

"Few airlines fly between cities having a great circle route over Antarctica. Nonstop flights between South Africa and New Zealand, or between Perth, Australia and certain destinations in South America (including Buenos Aires and São Paulo), would overfly Antarctica, but no airline has scheduled such flights." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_route

totallackey

« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2018, 01:20:18 PM »
Could you point to another place that looks like that between Australia and South America? (It'll make my day if you say Greenland)

Also any source on that hot claim about commercial flights? It's not common for pure transport since great circle routes rarely cross it and there are additional safety requirements for flights that do, but it's certainly happened before. If I booked one of these flights would they surreptitiously stick us in a wind tunnel with HD TVs over the windows? http://www.antarcticaflights.com.au/
[/quote]
Look at the post just above this one...

As far as "looking like Antarctica," take a look at this...

that would have filled a window of a plane flying over it...
"Iceberg B-15 was the world's largest recorded iceberg. It measured around 295 kilometres (183 mi) long and 37 kilometres (23 mi) wide, with a surface area of 11,000 square kilometres (4,200 sq mi)—larger than the whole island of Jamaica."

Offline Frocious

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2018, 02:43:38 PM »

Dude.

No it does not.

"Few airlines fly between cities having a great circle route over Antarctica. Nonstop flights between South Africa and New Zealand, or between Perth, Australia and certain destinations in South America (including Buenos Aires and São Paulo), would overfly Antarctica, but no airline has scheduled such flights." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_route

Few does not mean the same thing as none.